Rebel Galaxy Outlaw announced

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
There's a video of gameplay posted in the SC thread, I can say that if it is like this I will be getting it. They give a ton of info in the video.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Oooh this looks neat. I wasn't a fan of the 2D space flight/combat from the first game, this looks way more interesting.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
There's a video of gameplay posted in the SC thread, I can say that if it is like this I will be getting it. They give a ton of info in the video.

Yea I thought it looked neat too. Someone stated it wasn't going to compare to SC but I think that person is just upset that they "donated" and that project is a scam.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It’s a prequel? Has there ever been a prequel in gaming?!?!?

I never played the first but I heard it was pretty good and my type of game.

There seems to be a lot of good games around, can’t keep up!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
It's an insanely good game that doesn't take too long to finish. Steam says I've logged 44 hours and I finished the game twice and messed around doing side-quests and scavenging for better gear. To be honest, I'd say a solid 35 hours of those 44 were spent just messing around or hunting pirates/searching for better gear/trading. The missions aren't very long and the story - albeit short - is fairly solid. The game is extremely open and the soundtrack is outstanding (strong hints of Firefly).

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
The first game was more or less a trading sim. The new game they are saying is a combat game.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well that's just simply not true and anyone who says so hasn't played the game. There's trading to make a profit, but the best ways to obtain better weapons/ships is to hunt down pirate lords, loot the salvage containers (and the special containers), and assist with the occasional pirate invasion. You could also be friendly to the pirates and destroy traders to take everything they have.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Well that's just simply not true and anyone who says so hasn't played the game. There's trading to make a profit, but the best ways to obtain better weapons/ships is to hunt down pirate lords, loot the salvage containers (and the special containers), and assist with the occasional pirate invasion. You could also be friendly to the pirates and destroy traders to take everything they have.

Uh...the guy who made it states it in the first 5 minutes of the new video....so you take that opinion up with him.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I steer clear of trailers so I don't get my hopes up due to hype. If the developer thinks the first game is a trading sim, then I don't agree with that at all. As I said, there are trading elements in the game and you can flood goods at stations to mess with the buy/sell price, but the vast majority of your time spent playing won't be trading.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I steer clear of trailers so I don't get my hopes up due to hype. If the developer thinks the first game is a trading sim, then I don't agree with that at all. As I said, there are trading elements in the game and you can flood goods at stations to mess with the buy/sell price, but the vast majority of your time spent playing won't be trading.

The new video isn't a trailer. It's an hour of gameplay footage with developer commentary (the lead developer literally plays the game and walks you through it's features and their thinking behind them). It's very informative....you might want to check it out.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Let's put it this way. The last time I watched trailers was for GTA IV on GameTrailers.com (not even sure if that site exists anymore). If it's just developer commentary and feature introduction, I'll check it out.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Here's the video in question if anyone is interested in checking it out. I figured it might as well be here to since this is the official thread about the game.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
It looks okay... Sort of disappointed that they moved away from big ships with broadsides and even the big cargo ship looks pretty small.

I'll keep it on my watch list but it doesn't look half as interesting or intriguing as the original.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I thought hte first one was awful - repetitious - but this one might spice things up. Keeping an eye on it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
So I got the chance to play an hour or so of this the other night- and it's really fun! Firing to the sublight drive from first person just feels cool. Feels great to play with a HOTAS, too.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea I've been playing it pretty casually but I'm already a little bored. Game itself is neat and easy to play but is there a more effective way to earn money or is it just a grind? Doesn't even seem like smuggling is even worth the trouble. Obviously high risk equals high reward but that starter ship is a total slouch.

I also get to the mission where you assist that 'Satchel' character and I get blown up almost immediately when engaged by the person of interest's personal entourage.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Yea I've been playing it pretty casually but I'm already a little bored. Game itself is neat and easy to play but is there a more effective way to earn money or is it just a grind? Doesn't even seem like smuggling is even worth the trouble. Obviously high risk equals high reward but that starter ship is a total slouch.

I also get to the mission where you assist that 'Satchel' character and I get blown up almost immediately when engaged by the person of interest's personal entourage.
I hit the same roadblock, started trying to play the economy and ended up on the other side of the map. Found out the easy missions out there reward far more than the starter system. Homing missiles and improved armor help a lot as well.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I didn't come across any easy missions on the other side of the map...? They all were all listed as extreme risk or whatever so I figured I was not equipped well enough to take them on.

I've had the homing missiles and upgraded the armor but I haven't seen any other upgrades. I didn't want to sink that much into the starter ship if I could avoid it.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
I didn't come across any easy missions on the other side of the map...? They all were all listed as extreme risk or whatever so I figured I was not equipped well enough to take them on.

I've had the homing missiles and upgraded the armor but I haven't seen any other upgrades. I didn't want to sink that much into the starter ship if I could avoid it.
hmm, on the first station at the bar there's the lady playing pool for a special prize, did you get that?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I think upgrades carry across to your next ship? I hope so anyway, the amount I've spent upgrading this scrap pile :D ECM, power generator, second laser, expanded cargo bay, upgraded to the next level of armour... I can actually take on some of the easy combat missions now!