Reasons to vote for Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Um, so far Obama has done what? Let's see invaded a foreign country to kill Osama, put boots on the ground in Libya, is deploying troops to Africa, has maintained both wars in the Middle East ...yea, those Republican warmongers :rolleyes:

The US may have nominally a two party system, but in practice it is ruled by one hydra head, so it doesn't truly matter who you vote for, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The US may have nominally a two party system, but in practice it is ruled by one hydra head, so it doesn't truly matter who you vote for, especially when it comes to foreign policy.

The facts called to say they differ.

For example, from Wiki on the Iraq war:

126 (61%) of 208 Democratic Representatives voted against the resolution.
6 (<3%) of 223 Republican Representatives voted against the resolution

So, if we had all Democrats, we wouldn't have had the war. But we didn't, did we.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Um, so far Obama has done what? Let's see invaded a foreign country to kill Osama, put boots on the ground in Libya, is deploying troops to Africa, has maintained both wars in the Middle East ...yea, those Republican warmongers :rolleyes:

Why don't you go tally up the number of troops that Obama has ordered to foreign countries and compare it to the number Bush had at this point in his presidency? Get back to us with that number, plz.

Obama has done tons of great things. He's implemented a historic universal health care bill, he's implemented significant credit card reforms, he's helped to end gender discrimination in the workplace, overturning one of the more odious USSC rulings in recent memory, he's reigned in credit card and banking customer abuses, he killed Osama Bin Laden, he helped overthrow Qaddafi, he's added much needed regulation to a whole host of industries, etc, etc, etc.

But hey, I hear a pizza man has a tax plan cribbed from Sim City, I'm sure that will work out really well.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I really don't care for any of the main party candidates, just wish third party options were give a more serious consideration by the general public. Then maybe we could break the stranglehold special interests has on both main parties. But the corporate own media will not give them an honest chance.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Why don't you go tally up the number of troops that Obama has ordered to foreign countries and compare it to the number Bush had at this point in his presidency? Get back to us with that number, plz.

So he's excused because Bush deployed more people? loliberal apologist.

Obama has done tons of great things.

ZONG TONZ!?!?!

He's implemented a historic universal health care bill,

Ahh the grand POS that is Obummercare is now "historic" LOL, historically written by insurance, and big pharma maybe. It's a Colossal clusterfuck of a bill, and doesn't do anything to solve the real problems in our health care system. Such great success. If Obama had a spine we'd be arguing about Single Payer, not wondering whether Pelosi has read through the bill, and found out what's in it yet.

he's implemented significant credit card reforms,

Ahh yes, his reforms have done so much to help that the people are coming out in droves to thank him ...oh wait, nevermind, they are protesting, sorry.

he's helped to end gender discrimination in the workplace,

BWAHAHAHA ..he did? How so? lol

he's reigned in credit card and banking customer abuses,

I think there's a few hundred thousand people camped out around the nation that would beg to differ, but if you say so.

he killed Osama Bin Laden,

Yea, he threw on his BDU's and put two in his head.

he helped overthrow Qaddafi,

Oh yea, that huge threat to America that Qaddafi was and all.

he's added much needed regulation to a whole host of industries, etc, etc, etc.

y0 dawg, you totally forgot his Nobel Peace Prize, etc, etc indeed.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
The facts called to say they differ.

For example, from Wiki on the Iraq war:

So, if we had all Democrats, we wouldn't have had the war. But we didn't, did we.

If you look at the Democrats that voted for the war, they were mostly Southern Democrats. If you replaced all the southern republicans with southern democrats, they'd still have voted for war in Iraq. Now if you replaced all those Republicans with fair minded, progressive Democrats, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq, we wouldn't have a ridiculous deficit, people wouldn't be going without healthcare and the world would be a better place.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
If you look at the Democrats that voted for the war, they were mostly Southern Democrats. If you replaced all the southern republicans with southern democrats, they'd still have voted for war in Iraq. Now if you replaced all those Republicans with fair minded, progressive Democrats, we wouldn't have invaded Iraq, we wouldn't have a ridiculous deficit, people wouldn't be going without healthcare and the world would be a better place.

Would unicorns wash my windshield at every redlight too?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
It's really quite disingenuous for some of you to ask what Obama has done to improve your lives in one sentence and then, in the next, bemoan the burgeoning cost and size of government.

True conservatives wouldn't be looking to the government to improve your life or anyone else's.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So he's excused because Bush deployed more people? loliberal apologist.

Hahaha. Nice try at having it both ways. The Republicans engaged in vastly larger conflicts than Obama did and if you remember Obama's opponent was really excited about attacking Iran. But yeah, they're totally the same.

Ahh the grand POS that is Obummercare is now "historic" LOL, historically written by insurance, and big pharma maybe. It's a Colossal clusterfuck of a bill, and doesn't do anything to solve the real problems in our health care system. Such great success. If Obama had a spine we'd be arguing about Single Payer, not wondering whether Pelosi has read through the bill, and found out what's in it yet.p/quote]

Oh no! You called it 'Obummercare'! I also liked the feeble attempt to keep misusing a Nancy Pelosi quote.

Ahh yes, his reforms have done so much to help that the people are coming out in droves to thank him ...oh wait, nevermind, they are protesting, sorry.

Legislation doesn't take immediate effect, and the OWS protests are not about credit card/overdraft fees. You would know that if you had been there.

BWAHAHAHA ..he did? How so? lol

I love when stupid people laugh about something they could have learned about in 10 seconds on google. It was literally the first law he signed upon getting into office.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilly_Ledbetter_Fair_Pay_Act_of_2009

I think there's a few hundred thousand people camped out around the nation that would beg to differ, but if you say so.

They are not protesting credit card/overdraft fees. You would know that if you had been there.

Yea, he threw on his BDU's and put two in his head.

Pathetic attempt to negate credit.

Oh yea, that huge threat to America that Qaddafi was and all.

Pathetic attempt to negate credit for removing an unfriendly dictator who killed 189 Americans. Not only did he remove him, but he did it at very minimal cost to America. (even I was surprised, as I was expecting a drawn out conflict)

But hey, it's not like this thread was actually about reasons to vote for Obama. I don't know who I was kidding.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
the fair pay act was more about removing statute of limitations, not necessarily a magical anti-discrimination bill or a second civil rights act.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
the fair pay act was more about removing statute of limitations, not necessarily a magical anti-discrimination bill or a second civil rights act.

Right, the statute of limitations that in that case explicitly fucked over a woman trying to sue for gender based pay discrimination. The old statute of limitations made it extremely difficult for women and other groups to sue for pay discrimination.

Who made a claim of 'magic' or 'second civil rights act'?

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
your claim on 'ended gender discrimination in the workplace'.

so how did removing statute of limitations abolish gender discrimination? i agree that the varying state statute of limitations in some cases were unfair.

perhaps 'made it easier to file a pay discrimination complaint' would have been more accurate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
your claim on 'ended gender discrimination in the workplace'.

so how did removing statute of limitations abolish gender discrimination? i agree that the varying state statute of limitations in some cases were unfair.

perhaps 'made it easier to file a pay discrimination complaint' would have been more accurate.

I said 'helped to end'. This meant 'took a step towards ending'. This step was removing the ability of employers to continue discriminating based on gender if they were able to hide it for 180 days.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, but I don't think that any reasonable person would have assumed I meant the end of all gender discrimination ever.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Here's something I've been tossing around in my head:

"Would it be better for the Democratic Party and their constituency in the long run if Obama lost this election?"

The reason being a loss would hopefully send the message to future Democratic presidents that their base will not tolerate betrayal simply out of fear of the other guys.

I'll probably be voting 3rd party this election.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Here's a few to start, additions welcome:

I couldn't think of any....
Funny how it's easy for the left, craig in particular to just attack attack attack the opposition, but never really supporting his own guy...

Save234

I can think of many, but I see this is just another right wing bashing thread. Obama has been very centrist, pissing off the far right (who will be pissed know matter what) and pissing of the far left. In his second term he will come into his own. He will know the system and not have to worry about re-election. He will also get to shake off all this crap he inherited from GWB. Good times ahead,

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's something I've been tossing around in my head:

"Would it be better for the Democratic Party and their constituency in the long run if Obama lost this election?"

The reason being a loss would hopefully send the message to future Democratic presidents that their base will not tolerate betrayal simply out of fear of the other guys.

I'll probably be voting 3rd party this election.

People always say this, and the answer is always no. Was it better for the Democrats to have Bush elected due to Nader running to Gore's left in 2000?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
I can think of many, but I see this is just another right wing bashing thread. Obama has been very centrist, pissing off the far right (who will be pissed know matter what) and pissing of the far left. In his second term he will come into his own. He will know the system and not have to worry about re-election. He will also get to shake off all this crap he inherited from GWB. Good times ahead,

I can't see where I was bashing.... simply pointing out the fact that those supporters of Obama ONLY attack the GOP..... never defending what Obama has done (or really hasn't done) because there is nothing to defend. . . . I haven't really been impressed by the response to the challenge ..

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000

Yeah, count them up..the things you mention are like 100 people..aside from Iraq and Afghan. which GOP started...