Rear wheel drive in the winter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: azoomee
I've had AWD Cars for the past 5 years or so. Rented a FWD car while the other was in the shop -- its amazing how different they drive. Given the rains, snows, etc... around here, my strong personal preference is AWD for safety :)

What do you think makes AWD safer? Does AWD inflate the tires milliseconds before an accident to put you in a cocoon of rubber to protect you from the other idiot in the FWD vehicle who took the turn too fast and suffered understeer head-first into you?

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
When I had my SC400, I drove it with all season tires in the winter with snow on the ground (not too much or else it became a snow plow, lol). Also, the traction control on my SC400 was less advanced than the one in the '02 GS300. A few locals here drive their IS300 with winter tires in the winter and they haven't had any substantial problems.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: azoomee
I've had AWD Cars for the past 5 years or so. Rented a FWD car while the other was in the shop -- its amazing how different they drive. Given the rains, snows, etc... around here, my strong personal preference is AWD for safety :)

What do you think makes AWD safer? Does AWD inflate the tires milliseconds before an accident to put you in a cocoon of rubber to protect you from the other idiot in the FWD vehicle who took the turn too fast and suffered understeer head-first into you?

LOL.

If you are that concerned about it, just buy a front wheel drive car, like an Acura TL.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
up here in Canuckistan, we know all aboot driving in the snow.

While I hate snow, driving my 1987 Crown Vic is easy. Everyone, FWD and AWD included, should drive responsibly. Put a good set of snowtires on, and then find an empty parking lot covered in snow. Here you will learn how to drive in snowy conditions. Put it in a slide or a donut and learn to keep control. Practise braking too.

And soon will be driving confidently and laughing at those AWD and 4WD idiots stranded in ditches along the highways because they thought they could drive as if it was a summer day.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
hills and snow abound around here.
rwd sucks, but so does fwd.
driving my awd's on snow and ice make me nervous as hell.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Iron Woode

While I hate snow, driving my 1987 Crown Vic is easy. Everyone, FWD and AWD included, should drive responsibly. Put a good set of snowtires on, and then find an empty parking lot covered in snow. Here you will learn how to drive in snowy conditions. Put it in a slide or a donut and learn to keep control. Practise braking too.

And soon will be driving confidently and laughing at those AWD and 4WD idiots stranded in ditches along the highways because they thought they could drive as if it was a summer day.

I've lost track of how many times I've been tooling down the freeway in a nice thick blizzard and come upon a convoy of frightened SUV-driving Americans doing ~20mph ... throw on the blinkers, move into the snow-covered left lane, and cheerfully fly by kicking up a rooster-tail of powder "aboot" three times the height of the Civic. :D

"WTF was that?"
"Must be a Canadian."

- M4H

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I don't know about the 02 GS300 but my GS400 has a snow mode as part of the ECT (Electronically Controlled Throttle). Supposely it alters the throttle response to keep the torque down to help maintain traction. You should look into this feature if you're considering a GS in snow conditions.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

I've lost track of how many times I've been tooling down the freeway in a nice thick blizzard and come upon a convoy of frightened SUV-driving Americans doing ~20mph ... throw on the blinkers, move into the snow-covered left lane, and cheerfully fly by kicking up a rooster-tail of powder "aboot" three times the height of the Civic. :D

"WTF was that?"
"Must be a Canadian."

- M4H

I did that ALL the time in my Neon. I had a good set of winters on it.. could not slide that car or get it stuck for the life of me... small car + good winter tires = winter driving bliss :p

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: torpid
As some of you may remember, I am considering a new car due to repeated problems with my A4. One of the cars I'm considering is a 2002 Lexus GS300. It's only a bit more than the Accord EX-6 and Acura TL-S. My only real concern is that it is rear wheel drive.

We don't get fargo level snow but we do get a lot here in Madison, WI.

Exactly how difficult and dangerous is it to drive a rear-wheel drive vehicle in wintery conditions? Supposing I got some extremely high quality winter tires. Would that offset the problem to the point that it would perform as well as a FWD vehicle with regular tires?

Anyone in wisconsin or similar weather drive a RWD vehicle in the winter?

How much importance should I place on AWD/RWD/FWD?

Hmm thinking of winter today??

Albany International Airport
Last Update on Jul 17, 6:51 pm EDT

Fair

90°F
(32°C) Humidity: 56 %
Wind Speed: W 6 MPH
Barometer: 29.89" (1011.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 72°F (22°C)
Heat Index: 97°F (36°C)

I drive my piece o'junk Chevy Van,
Full size to work in the winter.

I add 200- lbs of weight to the rear for the winter, usually,
and try to keep the fuel tank over 1/2.

No problem with studded snows.

Albany NY USA area,
and I get called to work when it snows, or we get freezing rain.

If your worried, buy a Hummer; FTW.

eldorado99

Lifer
Feb 16, 2004
I've never owned anything but RWD drive cars, I've never had a problem with Winter driving (Canada). You just have to take your time and be careful. No amount of gadgetry is going to make it all that much better except good tires and some weight in the back.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

"WTF was that?"
"Must be a Canadian."

- M4H
:thumbsup:

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
snow tires do wonders for any car's winter traction. i think with snow tires, chains in the trunk, and the stability control/traction control, you'll manage fine. keep in mind that until the 850, all volvos were rear-wheel-drive, and they were made in Sweden!

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Originally posted by: jtvang125
I don't know about the 02 GS300 but my GS400 has a snow mode as part of the ECT (Electronically Controlled Throttle). Supposely it alters the throttle response to keep the torque down to help maintain traction. You should look into this feature if you're considering a GS in snow conditions.

I have the '02 GS300 and I can confirm that it has snow mode as part of the ECT.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004

"WTF was that?"
"Must be a Canadian."

- M4H
I'm American and I do that in my FWD 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Going home from a Christmas gathering, huuuuuuuuuge line of SUVs and 4x4 trucks, leader of the pack doing no more than 50. I zing by at 60 (too slushy to do full 75, but not as bad as they thought it was), and about 10 minutes later a string of 8 semis goes by me doing at least 80.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
yeah the 02's have snow mode. my 01' is awful in the snow...had to get a good set of snow tires and the subs in the trunk weigh down the back some. i live in NY too...as long as you're not driving around like an idiot, you'll be fine.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I had a '99 GS300 and could not drive it in the snow with the tires that came with the car. I was slipping and sliding everywhere even with the traction control on. I've never driven the car with snow tires though so I can't say.

My new car the G35 is even worse in the snow with its performance tires. I can't even move my car an inch without it sliding sideways.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
So I got back from test drives and ruled out pretty much everything but the GS 300. Anything else would be sinking money for a downgrade. Not appealing to me.

Let's pretend I plan on driving my car for another 100,000 miles. Does it make sense to spend another $10,000 on a car of about equal mileage that is incredibly reliable? Is it realistic to think I can drive a GS 300 up to 150,000 miles? I can say for sure it is unrealistic to think I can drive my A4 even 100,000 miles.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So I got back from test drives and ruled out pretty much everything but the GS 300. Anything else would be sinking money for a downgrade. Not appealing to me.

Let's pretend I plan on driving my car for another 100,000 miles. Does it make sense to spend another $10,000 on a car of about equal mileage that is incredibly reliable? Is it realistic to think I can drive a GS 300 up to 150,000 miles? I can say for sure it is unrealistic to think I can drive my A4 even 100,000 miles.

I think the GS300 will last you a good while. That I6 engine inside is bullet proof and the build quality is second to none. I don't recall having a single issue with my car in 3 years.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001

"WTF was that?"
"Must be a Canadian."

- M4H
I drive that way and I am from Chicago. I usually do the speed limit or better in the snow with either of my trucks, and have no issues.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

I have about 55K miles on mine right now. I am planning to drive the car well into the 200K miles mark. Shouldn't be a problem as long as I follow all the scheduled maintenance.