Rear case fan- blowing in or out?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I'm putting together a computer.

Which way should the air flow for a rear case fan?

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Warm air is lighter than cold air. That is why warm air rises. That is why the efficient way for air flow in a computer is to enter from the low front (cool) and out from the rear top (warm).

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
That is also why we have a top blow hole on some cases. Heat rises "coldness" falls.

-Kevin

akira34

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2004
Think of it this way, you don't have air going into your ass, do you?? Same with computers.

MaskedAvenger

Jul 31, 2001
Depends. In another thread, I noted that is you are using a ASUS PC-DL mb, its better for the rear to blow in. The cpu's are right next to the rear fan and the system runs cooler and more stable with the rear fan blowing in. Youn would need to cut a blow hole to let the air out, though.

Operandi

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MaskedAvenger
Depends. In another thread, I noted that is you are using a ASUS PC-DL mb, its better for the rear to blow in. The cpu's are right next to the rear fan and the system runs cooler and more stable with the rear fan blowing in. Youn would need to cut a blow hole to let the air out, though.

No it doesn?t, rear fan is exhaust only. The CPU may get a slight benefit of cooler air with an intake fan but you?re messing up the air flow within the case, cooling for the rest of the components will be seriously compromised.

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
For general usage, rear out is probably best.

That said, I get lower CPU temps with rear intakes. With no fan on my HS, having the back fans blowing in cool air lowers my temps a good 3C. Having them blowing in also directs cool air over the NB and Zalman VGA cooler. I might even be able to run the Panaflo's as 7v intakes and get better temps than if they were 12v exhausts.