rear AC, grand caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
The AC stopped working a while ago. It doesn't bother me. (But it bothers the wife about 10 days out of the year.) It was out of warranty when it went, and the shop wanted <too much, for it to be worth it to me> to repair it (had it in for another issue & asked them to check it.) Very common problem & they were surprised there wasn't a recall. I said "don't bother." Fast forward nearly a year - letter from Chrysler - they extended the warranty for that part. Great - it would have been under warranty when it went out, but now I've exceeded the new mileage by a few thousand miles. Nothing I could do at that point.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago - wife is really pushing me to repair it.
Questions: it leaks where the line comes in. Can I just get a liquid epoxy mix & epoxy the crap out of it to stop it from leaking? It's not like I'll ever need to take it apart in the future.

Or, is there a way to simply disconnect it and cap it off?

Or, should I replace the evaporator (I really don't need the rear air conditioning, and NY weather isn't really that hot.) If this option, before I went ahead and made the purchase, would having had the leak for about 2 years, and not operating the AC for 2 years likely result in damage to the compressor from possible contaminants?

I'm not taking it to the garage - the AC isn't that valuable to me.

Thanks!

edit: how quickly does it leak? When I originally attempted to recharge the system, I put in a can of 134a. When I was done, I wondered, "what's that hissing sound?" I'm guessing possible damage to the joint from a stick in the road being kicked up against it, though there is no visible damage.

edit edit: http://www.streetrodguys.com/beta/r.../2004-2008-chrysler-minivan-rear-ac-block-kit (if I want to block them.) 10 minute job (allegedly) and 24oz of 134a later & should be good to go? Sounds like the rear AC was an upgrade & isn't necessary anyway.

edit: Conclusion: I ordered the cap kit to block the rear air conditioning. That way I'll have the front A/C again. (And, according to a couple places I saw, it'll be cooler up front; not sure if that makes 100% sense, but I suppose.)

edit edit edit: Update: fixed

Last edited:

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
There is a plate on the rear A/C that is easily damaged and causes leakage. Chrysler has extended the warranty on it. Often if you return to the dealer that you have been working with, they will allow you a little over the mileage. You can even say something like I tried to bring it in earlier, but you guys were too busy and told me to come back later. Getting Chrysler to pay for it first choice.

Yes, you can shut off the back A/C and run vehicle from front only. There is a kit on the Internet that allow you to do this. But keep in mind that cooling will be deminished and so will resale. I would suggest strongly that you get it repaired.

A/C Sealer will not fix this problem, don't even try. Its basically a design problem from Chrysler.

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I would have to pay to get it fixed; Chrysler wouldn't cover it. Originally, it was warranted (I believe) for 30k miles. But the problem happened around 50k. By the time Chrysler extended the warranty to 70k miles, we were already around 80k. We're well beyond that now. We drive a lot. :)

I knew A/C sealer wouldn't touch the problem (if that's what you thought by the epoxy; as I understand it, the A/C sealer works by reacting with moisture formed from condensation at the point of the leak) - I meant a repair from the outside at that joint - basically cover that joint 1/2 an inch thick with multiple applications of a strong epoxy, though that would probably be my last option.

I also knew that it was a design flaw that Chrysler ignored for 4 years. If I didn't find the grand caravan to be the most practical vehicle for my needs, I would purchase something else next time.

The cost of having a garage do the work (most estimates I see online are in line with what we were quoted a few years back, around $1000) is far more than the effect on the "resale" value, since the resale value will simply be its value for scrap metal in a few years. I tend to drive vehicles until they're worth only $1000 or so; more frequently, they're only worth their scrap value - pull the alternator, cat, radiator, any other major aluminum or copper parts to sell separately, drop and drain the gas tank, etc.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
At the rear evaporator there is a steel backing plate which the thermal expansion valve bolts to - corrosion is very common in this area. The backing plate is simply a plate with two threaded holes that fits around the liquid and suction tubes - the two torx headed bolts go through the expansion valve and thread into the backing plate...holding the valve tight to the flanged tubes. Since the old style backing plate is steel and it touches the aluminum tubes - corrosion breaks down the tube and creates a hole.

You should be able to just see the expansion valve sticking out of the floor behind the right rear tire...however the area that corrodes is just up past the valve. You just can't quite see if from the outside...but this gives you a sense of where it is located. Either way, the evaporator is inside the HVAC unit - black plastic. The replacement cores have an aluminum backing plate and should not experience the same corrosion issue.

There is a kit that can be purchased about 50 bucks. Where you cut the rear lines under the front passenger side and then the kit comes with a horse shoe looking aluminum connection that adheres to the place you cut and won't allow the air to go back to rear. It just recirculates through the loop and back forward to the front. I&#8217;m not sure who or where these kits are sold, but I&#8217;m sure some searching or calling a dealer will help.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yep, just ordered from them an hour ago; the link was in the OP. First I checked all the auto places locally. The Chrysler service guy said, "we fix a few of those a week."

Nice revenue stream...

DrPizza

Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Just a quick update for anyone searching for this problem on the Grand Caravans (it's a very common problem.) I purchased the parts from streetrodguys (link in OP). I'm a little surprised the parts cost as much as they did for what they were. (Low 50's for a little bit of aluminum and 2 o-rings)

Nonetheless, it was a really easy repair. First, I started disconnecting one line from behind the rear passenger tire, before realizing that the fittings were backwards (male vs. female) for there. I moved forward and found where to disconnect below the front passenger floorboard. From the point of realizing where I needed to disconnect the lines and cap the lines off, it took less than 5 minutes. Then, a couple more minutes to recharge the cooling system, and BAM! A/C was working again (after 2 years without it.) My wife was absolutely thrilled.

Of course, my handy work is going to cause the entire Northeastern portion of the country to plunge into an ice age, rendering my efforts in vain. Now, when we're driving together, I have to listen to her complain that I have my window down & it's robbing her side of the air conditioning. (I prefer windows down to A/C any time it's below 90.)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
If the shop has it documented that the problem existed within the new warranty time extension and the mileage was within limits at that time; you may have a case for Chyrsler to repair the problem fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.