Question Realtek audio drivers Windows 11 headaches

ubern00b1

Jul 6, 2017
Motherboard: MSI B450m-A Pro Max - Realtek ALC892 Audio
Windows 11 - 10.0.22000 build

Tried to install official drivers from MSI, installer uninstalls "current driver" which is installed with Windows, asks to reboot to install new driver, reboots, installer starts and begins uninstall process again in an infinite loop, seems Windows is installing MS drivers even though this is disabled, disable Windows update in services.msc, use DDU to remove all Realtek audio drivers, reboot, install drivers, success! re-enable Windows update, installs Realtek driver update automatically, removes Realtek media control panel, replaces with Realtek audio console which is like one of the MS store apps :triumph: no big deal I guess?.... only now none of the options work in this POS app, like sound effects, EQ etc, is there anyway to install the drivers I want to install without Windows overriding me and installing their own without leaving updates turned off? Windows shouldn't be updating any drivers as I have turned this option off :rage:

babcom

Nov 25, 2004
Unless you have already done this ("Windows shouldn't be updating any drivers as I have turned this option off"), then try excluding driver updates in the windows update settings using group policy editor.

If you have Windows 11 home, group policy editor is not installed by default (it's only installed in Windows 11 Pro) so you'll need to install it using a hack or use 3rd party software like Policy Plus.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
You could try unplugging the lan cable during the manual installation. IIRC the Realtek audio console breaks some things like headphones (does it work?), but the easiest way to get things working is to uninstall the RAC app.
I think I installed the Realtek universal driver over the generic windows driver without issues.

Last edited:

ubern00b1

Jul 6, 2017
Unless you have already done this ("Windows shouldn't be updating any drivers as I have turned this option off"), then try excluding driver updates in the windows update settings using group policy editor.

If you have Windows 11 home, group policy editor is not installed by default (it's only installed in Windows 11 Pro) so you'll need to install it using a hack or use 3rd party software like Policy Plus.

Tried this, Windows still installed the bloody audio console without my permission

You could try unplugging the lan cable during the manual installation. IIRC the Realtek audio console breaks some things like headphones (does it work?), but the easiest way to get things working is to uninstall the RAC app.
I think I installed the Realtek universal driver over the generic windows driver without issues.

Have you tried re-installing the latest Realtek audio driver from your MB's website? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-A-PRO-MAX/support#down-driver&Win11 64View attachment 55354

Yes tried those and realtek ones

I think I have managed to do it with a combination of unplugging lan, using DDU to remove realtek drivers, deleting the realtek folder and installing the drivers, connected the LAN again afterwards and it seems to be working