RealNetworks AOL and NetZIP.... BUSTED?!?

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
http://grc.com/downloaders.htm

My former employer and Boss, Steve Gibson, (the guy who developed SpinRite for those of you who remember) did some sleuthing and discovered that it Looks like when you use their download managing software, info about what you download and other system data is secretly sent to them. (THOSE B@ST@RDS :|)

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
LemonHead

I saw the report Steve did with Leo Laporte on Screensavers.Steve is a smart cookie. I almost regret buying from Real Networks.If they don't fix this bug and send a free fix,I am jrking there products from my machine and re-formating the drive. I will erase everything on here and start all over. If they sell that info,I want Real prosecuted. I was not Informed nor did I give consent for them to get so much detailed information from my computer files. That is intrususion into my private and sacred space. I have all ready been spammed by a company that uses a similar tact and garnered information on my surfing habit and then sent competitive e mail to me totaly un solicited.How else did they know what I was looking for if they didn't see into my computer cookie folder? I am as pissed as Steve(well maybe not quite,He was served a law suite from Real,Right?)

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
Tripleshot,
Yeah, I think they served him but knowing Steve he probably just started laughing his a$$ off. They won't get anywhere with it. The one thing I can say about Steve is that he knows his stuff. If he says it's so, then it probably is.

LemonHead

Golden Member
Oct 28, 1999
<SIGH> Didn't realize that this had already been covered.
Been away for a while and didn't see that one. (dang, this
forum moves a lot of info in a short time :Q )

Thanks UG for the link.