Really weird problem

REDtoLINE

Mar 28, 2005
Well here's the deal. I just upgraded my computer a few weeks ago. I originally had an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe, loaded with 2GB of OCZ DDR400 Platinum RAM and an AMD Opteron 180. I like to play a lot of Blu-rays on my computer, and have recently gotten into video encoding, so I figured it was time for an upgrade. I bought a new Core i7 920, an ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution, and 6GB of triple channel OCZ DDR3 1600 Platinum memory. After a few hours of using the computer, I noticed that there was a squealing sound coming from my computer. It didn't seem to be related to my CPU load, but it did occur during certain tasks. For example, when I extracted the Windows 7 RC ISO to my HDD, it squealed constantly until the extraction was complete. I confirmed this by extracting a second time for the hell of it and it did it again. It also squeals other times but I can't figure out a way to reproduce it besides extracting files. Now today for the first time my computer died on me for no apparent reason. I was just copying a 100kb XML file from one hard drive to another and it just died as if I pulled the plug. Then 2 seconds later without me touching anything, the computer turned back on and began booting up. It happened about 3 more times this morning, and became quite an annoyance. Then then entire afternoon it never died, but then tonight when I opened windows media center it died. This time it didn't restart on it's own, and I couldn't get it to turn back on. I unplugged it, played around with the switch on my PSU, nothing what so ever. So I opened up my case, and I touched my finger on the heatsink of my northbridge, and the thing just turned on. I opened windows media center and started to play my movie, and it died again about 8 minutes in. It just became a total pain tonight. Finally I got it working and was able to watch the entire movie with no problems after that. Then when the movie was over, I closed windows media center, and got up to go to the bathroom, and when I got back it was dead. Random weird things would get it to start up, like jiggling the 24 pin power connector would turn it on and off. I took it out and plugged it back in, still jiggling it would turn the computer on and off, even though it was nice and tight. So I used my jumper to clear the bios, started the computer up, and when I jiggled the 24 pin power connector, nothing happened, it stayed running. So that's where I am right now. I have no idea if this is a problem with my motherboard or PSU, so I'm trying to get some help here. My PSU is a Seasonic 500W Active PFC, and it does have an 8 pin power connector on it, so it's not like I'm only using the 4 pin connector. My other components are an ATI Radeon X800XL, an LG Blu-ray reader, a Western Digital 74GB 10k Raptor, 2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks, and an AverMedia Combo TV Tuner. I know my power supply isn't big, but I thought it would be adequate for my new setup. I never had any problems with the old one, and I figured my new motherboard, processor and memory would take up the same amount of power. Somebody please help me to correct this issue, it's really driving me crazy. Thanks.

REDtoLINE

Mar 28, 2005
Anybody? This is really causing me a lot of trouble. I need my computer to do my work, not to mention I just spent a lot of money on it and would like to get use out of it.

NXIL

Apr 14, 2005
Hey Red,

hmm, can I just say: your post could use a little white space, i.e. some formatting, to make it easier to read?

Motherboard squealing: a known issue with i7 boards, and some others:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au...rchive.cfm/886831.html

That is probably not the cause of your hardware issue.

Your power supply is not super strong, and may not be enough for your new PC. How old is that power supply? They do deteriorate with age.

never had any problems with the old one, and I figured my new motherboard, processor and memory would take up the same amount of power.

Not necessarily....they are several power supply calculators out there, though they tend to overestimate your needs a bit. But, could be that your Seasonic is not quite up to the task.

Lose screw? No, not you, between your motherboard and your case. It's possible something is shorting out. Could have just been random that your machine rebooted when you touched the northbridge....but be careful, you don't want to be in this year's Darwin awards. Also, when you were jiggling the 8 pin cable--may have been moving a lose screw under motherboard or something else around, and having it intermittantly make contact/clear.

So: looks like a hardware issue, specifically electrical, i.e. weak power supply, or a short of some kind.

HTH

NX

PS: one more thought: are you using the stock Intel coller with the horrific push pins? Not real fond of that style. Are you sure they are all making contact? What are your temps?