Really? Redneck Day is offensive...to African-Americans...In Arizona?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Angry Irishman

Golden Member
Jan 25, 2010
The Confederate Flag is an explicit symbol of a state created for the purpose of perpetuating race based enslavement.

Not everyone who displays it is racist, some are just ignorant of its historical meaning.

Did you read that in a book?

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
True; that said, while I wouldn't consider a number of swastikas with the, if you will, "non-nazi" design to be nazi-ish, a dude wearing a red armband with a black swastika in a white circle kinda says nazi. Sure, the original swastika was a peaceful design, but that one is not, and I think we all know that.

Also, as has been shown, the southern states were seceding to protect slavery......seriously.

Nowhere did I mention my opinion on the confererates flag relationship to slavery or was I defending the swastika. I was merely pointing out the fact that the swastika was not created by Nazis, and has been around for at least 5000 years, most likely originating in ancient India.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Nowhere did I mention my opinion on the confererates flag relationship to slavery or was I defending the swastika. I was merely pointing out the fact that the swastika was not created by Nazis, and has been around for at least 5000 years, most likely originating in ancient India.

right -- that was directed more to the other posts in the thread regarding secession, not yours; I should have made that more clear. And to be clear, as a jew, I couldn't care less if I see someone wearing a swastika of the "nazi" type or a "non-nazi" type, as I don't get my panties in a wad over that sort of stuff. That said, if someone is decked out in nazi
paraphernalia and I'm not meeting them while wasted at a "bad dictators" party, chances are said person is a douche. Might not _always_ be true, but..... ;)

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The original "rednecks" had nothing to do with slavery or making duck calls.
Once again, popular culture has bastardized a term.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The Civil War has been for a hundred and fifty or so years ago. Time people get over it. If anyone wants to get into how that can't be, I will remind you that a significant part of my ancestry was wiped out by whites and their slaves and whatever culture and history they had virtually erased. For all practical purposes it was a successful genocide. I deal fine with the history.

What's the symbol that represents that genocide and how do you feel about it?

History. Blah blah blah. Doomed. Something.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Why shouldnt states rights come before the federal government?

Go back to your metro sexual lives and pretend you represent America.

Why was George Jones so great?

Red Neck just seems, to me anyway, to represent the country boy way of life. Nothing racist or derogatory about that. Some people want to chase money and some people want to live their life and have fun.

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Meanwhile conservatives get their panties in a bunch when someone says "Jewish lobby"

Who's being PC??

Conservatives aren't the only ones bothered by the term "Jewish lobby." I'm not that wild about it either, principally because there is no such thing. An Israeli lobby? Sure. "Jewish lobby?" I've never heard of any such thing existing in the real world.

Taking issue with a phrase because it purports to describe something non-existent is hardly being PC.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Conservatives aren't the only ones bothered by the term "Jewish lobby." I'm not that wild about it either, principally because there is no such thing. An Israeli lobby? Sure. "Jewish lobby?" I've never heard of any such thing existing in the real world.

Taking issue with a phrase because it purports to describe something non-existent is hardly being PC.

But taking humbrage with a symbol that became a representation of death for a race of people is being PC? Ok I get it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What's the symbol that represents that genocide and how do you feel about it?

History. Blah blah blah. Doomed. Something.

First point - A universal sign? I don't know. You tell us. I have a personal one though and I looked at it often and thought about its significance. It's an extremely old photo of some of my Cherokee ancestors at their camp. Traditional garb, all the stereotypical trappings. What was most striking was none of that. It was the expressions on their faces. I'd say it was dignity giving way to resigned hopelessness. I wondered what they were thinking, how that picture came about. Was there a realistic chance that things could have been otherwise? Like Mary I gathered these things and pondered them in my heart. It wasn't a pointless exercise though. I realized those people didn't want my tears, they had enough of their own, and while our past is important, grieving and for those your own couldn't have known is less than helpful as is the weight of carrying perpetual outage. What a tragic way to live. So my suggestion? Understand what's important. Understand your history, don't make it an albatross to hang around ones neck. Do blacks have things to be angry or cry or pray about? He'll yes! When? Whenever a child is killed by gang violence, when a black child is denied an education by his or anyone's actions. That lip service is paid by "caring" people who have never taken their time, their money to materially help one black person, butb are oh so outraged over a flag worn without hostile intent which might rightly upset those from a hundred years ago, but who spend more time fretting over things which leave todays trouble for future generations to endure.

I have the quote that you didn't complete that seems fitting. Those who constantly live in the past are doomed to live in perpetual and useless torment.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
But taking humbrage with a symbol that became a representation of death for a race of people is being PC? Ok I get it.

Ah, but I never said taking issue with the symbol was being PC. I think it was an over-reach to complain about this particular instance of it because the students were parodying rednecks rather than espousing their views. However, I do understand why a black person in general might be offended by the confederate flag. I just think the outrage has to be tied to the intent of who is displaying it. I doubt a Jew is concerned about a swastika being displayed in a history book, or in a movie about Nazis. It's all about intent.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
No it isn't. Its a symbol of a group of states that had the idea that state's rights should come ahead of the federal government's. The key reason for forming the CSA wasn't slavery. It was over session and whether or not it was legal. It had nothing to do with race. Plenty of white slaves existed at the time.

Keep downing Kool-aide like its beer at a frat party.

seriously?

The ONLY states-rights issue that was under discussion, that was ever contentious at the time--was slavery.

look, I learned about the civil war in a southern middle school, with a southern curriculum, where you're basically taught that it's states rights this and that blah blah blah. The south is facing the destruction of their economy, blah blah. well, yeah, they were--it was fucking slavery.

The Civil War was about slavery--end of fucking story. There really is no other way to spin it. These were issues boiling over for several decades at that point, and everything comes down to slavery.

state's rights my ass (the south wanted their "state's rights" to extend further into the north--THAT was the fucking issue)

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I think any black person incensed with rednecks taking pride in being rednecks needs to get the fuck over it and get on with their life. Having said that I can't fault them for being offended by the Confederate flag. There is no reason redneck culture has to involve Civil War era firebrand issues, and like it or not Confederates fought to preserve slavery.

No amount of "heritage not hate" is going to change that.
This, exactly. There were other grievances - there are always other grievances - but only slavery brought us to war. It's a beautiful flag, but it symbolizes an armed struggle that tore apart our nation for the right to keep people as property, and while displaying it should be absolutely legal, other than over a historical Civil War display it's still a shameful act showing questionable character, judgement and taste.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times they are not forgotten;
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
In Dixie Land where I was born in,
Early on one frosty mornin,

Old Missus marry "Will-de-weaber,"
Willium was a gay deceaber;
But when he put his arm around'er,
He smiled as fierce as a forty-pound'er,

Dar's buck-wheat cakes an 'Ingen' batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter;
Den hoe it down an scratch your grabble,
To Dixie land I'm bound to trabble.
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Quoted from OP's article: "When members of the student council at an Arizona high school organized a schoolwide "Redneck Day" and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week."

Give me a break, this isn't about school spirit, this is direct provocation and they damn well know it is. It doesn't matter what the history of the flag is, the fact is that flag has been used by groups like the KKK and other hate groups intolerant of people of color.

When I see that flag and hear the term Redneck the first thing that comes to mind is some dumb back woods illiterate who is blatantly racist. Most people do, and you all know that, don't be dumb, or try to rationalize, or justify what this school did. It is offensive to people of color because in history those who carried that flag fought not for states rights, but for the right to keep slavery legal through states rights. I just love how people try to reinvent history to their liking. Racists and intolerant hate groups have absconded the Rebel Flag in contemporary times as a symbol that represents them and their hatred of others of the non caucasian persuasion.

I just can't believe how many of you think that this is too PC. This is the one thing I think needs to be addressed and admonished for.

In fact what is amazing is how much intolerance is right here on this board toward people of color and how they dress and talk, and if it were a "african american day" some of you would be carrying on about that.

What a bunch of hypocrites some of you are.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Quoted from OP's article: "When members of the student council at an Arizona high school organized a schoolwide "Redneck Day" and encouraged classmates to dress — and spoof — accordingly, they hoped to build school spirit leading up to prom week."

Give me a break, this isn't about school spirit, this is direct provocation and they damn well know it is. It doesn't matter what the history of the flag is, the fact is that flag has been used by groups like the KKK and other hate groups intolerant of people of color.

When I see that flag and hear the term Redneck the first thing that comes to mind is some dumb back woods illiterate who is blatantly racist. Most people do, and you all know that, don't be dumb, or try to rationalize, or justify what this school did. It is offensive to people of color because in history those who carried that flag fought not for states rights, but for the right to keep slavery legal through states rights. I just love how people try to reinvent history to their liking. Racists and intolerant hate groups have absconded the Rebel Flag in contemporary times as a symbol that represents them and their hatred of others of the non caucasian persuasion.

I just can't believe how many of you think that this is too PC. This is the one thing I think needs to be addressed and admonished for.

In fact what is amazing is how much intolerance is right here on this board toward people of color and how they dress and talk, and if it were a "african american day" some of you would be carrying on about that.

What a bunch of hypocrites some of you are.

Well this guy isn't going to be allowed to own a gun.

Apr 27, 2012
Meanwhile conservatives get their panties in a bunch when someone says "Jewish lobby"

Who's being PC??

There is no such thing as a Jewish lobby I believe you're referring to the Israeli lobby,Moron.

I don't get upset if someone says Jewish lobby yet liberals get upset when people refer to the hispanic and black lobby.

Who's being PC??

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
There is no such thing as a Jewish lobby I believe you're referring to the Israeli lobby,Moron.

I don't get upset if someone says Jewish lobby yet liberals get upset when people refer to the hispanic and black lobby.

Who's being PC??

And what religion are most Israeli's?

Thank for failing to put two and two together again.
It is quite entertaining.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
AFAIK the swastika is banned in Europe, because it is a sign of racism and genocide that they fought a world war over.
You would think that a similarly divisive symbol, the confederate flag would be banned here.
I think it would help advance us as a society if the confederate flag was gone.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Swastika, Ontario
Swastika (pron.: /ˈswɒstɪkə/ or /swɒsˈtiːkə/) is a small community founded in 1908 around a mining site in Northern Ontario, Canada, and today within the municipal boundaries of Kirkland Lake, Ontario

During World War II the provincial government sought to change the town's name to Winston in honour of Winston Churchill, but the town refused, insisting that the town had held the name long before the Nazis co-opted the swastika symbol (卐). Residents of Swastika used to tell the story of how the Ontario Department of Highways would erect new signs on the roads at the edge of the town. At night the residents would tear these signs down and put up their own signs proclaiming the town to be "Swastika".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario