Really liking my Nikon V1...

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by JohnnyRebel, Oct 20, 2012.

1. JohnnyRebel

JohnnyRebel Senior member

I've started carrying around the Nikon V1. Light, easy and snappy. I took this shot today @ the Battle of Newton, AL.

Nikon V1 10-30 kit lens
    ISO 140, 1/250, f/5.6, 30mm
    Nik Silver Efex - Vintage

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - liking Nikon Forum Date
    Oh for Pete's sake Nikon, why would you do this to me? Digital and Video Cameras Jan 28, 2017
    Need a bodycam, like cops use but not conspicuous Digital and Video Cameras Oct 19, 2016
    Why don't more cameras like the Fuji X70 exist? Digital and Video Cameras May 4, 2016
    Going to an event, would like recommendations/suggestions Digital and Video Cameras Jan 29, 2016
    My sample size says: People like photos with people in them. Digital and Video Cameras Jul 22, 2015

3. jonno

jonno Senior member

nice action shot

4. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

I got in on a J1 sale recently and can't wait to get it to test it out. I may get an adapter to use my Nikon DX glass as well, though I think my 70-300 VC Tamron will be a pain in the butt to use handheld... that's 300 x 2.7 = 810mm FX equivalent at maximum focal length! Good thing the Tamron has the best optical stabilization of any lens I've ever used, but even so, I fear I will have to jack up the ISO in most situations. Too bad the FT1 adapter doesn't allow AF-C or even AF-S outside of center.

5. JohnnyRebel

I'm looking forward to getting the 18.5mm 1.8. The 10mm 2.8 is a neat lens, but the difference between it and the kit lens @ f/3.5 is not a lot and I lose the VR. I don't ever really use the 10mm lens.

I did just get the franiac custom grip and it makes the V1 much easer to hold, especially when shooting one-handed.

#4 JohnnyRebel, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. 321.HAX

321.HAX Junior Member

Nice shot sir! Didn't think the v1 could produce good prints. I was scared to try and get anything smaller than an APS-C sensor. How is the performance low light?

7. JohnnyRebel

I haven't really used it in low light. Inside, with lamp light, it tends to shoot at iso 3200 which has a bit of noise. If the subject is not moving, the VR works very will and you can take shots at slow shutter speeds, with very good results - brighter than reality.

I use it for snapshots, and appreciate how fast the focus is and high frame rate.

Here is one I shot of my 3 yr old hopping over a crack. I saw her crouch a bit, threw the V1 up and snapped a single shot just after she hopped. The AF is so fast, shots like this are a snap. This is why I like the V1. I would not have gotten this shot with the S95 and I would not have had the D7000 with me.

JR

[​IMG]

8. blastingcap

Speed, speed, speed, is the reason why I got a J1 instead of something else. NEX-5r/6 may or may not be as speedy and everything else in mirrorless doesn't even have PDAF as an option. I don't think I will stick with the J1 for long; it's just a stopgap for me until I figure out what I "really" want. I just don't like any of the horribly overpriced options out there, and I want DSLR-like speed, so it was either the J1, J2, V1, or V2. J1 being the cheapest option. :D

9. JohnnyRebel

For the last few weeks, the V1 is cheaper @ $379. B&H has this deal with the V1, F-mount adaptor, 10-100 video power lens, 10-30 kit lens, and a camera bag for $899. The power lens and adaptor are more than that!

JR

10. blastingcap

Good point, I am returning the J1 and going to shop for a V1 bundle...

11. JohnnyRebel