Really don't know what to get the parents for Christmas this year

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Usually it's not too hard to get my parents something they "like," but let's face it, parents like anything their kids give them. I'd really prefer something they'll make use of everyday, but the problem is they're too simple and unneedy. They are happy with their 27" SDTV, DVD player, and VCR, they never go out to eat or anything like that, and they both work 40 hours a week. The only recreational type thing I see my mother do is puzzles which she loves and does religiously. What kind of gifts do you buy in these cases?

My father would enjoy better sound in his car, but I can't really afford to replace all four of his speakers, which would need done. Neither of them have CD players in their car but considering they probably wouldn't want to cough up the money for CDs all the time, that doesn't seem like a good gift either. Is there any kind of gift you can buy a puzzle lover? I was also maybe thinking gift cards for like movies and a fancy dinner since they never do that stuff anymore.

I am open to suggestions.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
If you have brothers and/or sisters, a professional portrait of all of you together would be nice.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
I got mine a digital photo frame.

These are popular this year. I got my parents one too.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
You can make a family photo into a puzzle.

I got my parents a family photo printed on canvas. I hope it comes out alright.

If you're really desperate, you can give your parents a grandchild! :evil:

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Some decent suggestions, thanks. I'm not really feeling a digital photo frame, we have enough knickknacks around the house as it is. I am an only child and they have enough recent good pictures of me. Would something like a $50 gift card for Olive Garden be good? Or is that sort of like a cop-out. I know it's a one-time gift but they never do that sort of thing.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Olive Garden G/C would be cool...they don't live in Indianapolis do they? (300 ppl had gotten sick recently). and no, it's not a cop-out...i'm sure they'll enjoy going out to eat (especially if they hardly do that).

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: archcommus
Some decent suggestions, thanks. I'm not really feeling a digital photo frame, we have enough knickknacks around the house as it is. I am an only child and they have enough recent good pictures of me. Would something like a $50 gift card for Olive Garden be good? Or is that sort of like a cop-out. I know it's a one-time gift but they never do that sort of thing.

Rather than that - take them out to dinner. Spend time with them. They don't care about the $50 - but they do care about the fact whether you care enough or not to spend time with them.

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
Originally posted by: archcommus

Rather than that - take them out to dinner. Spend time with them. They don't care about the $50 - but they do care about the fact whether you care enough or not to spend time with them.
FTW. Make it a nice restaurant and pull out all the stops. You might even think about stepping out of dinner early and let them continue on their own. Rent a limo to take them home.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Haha I like the way you guys think, but a limo and such is getting pricey. We are a low key family. I have no idea what they spend on me, but I typically limit my gifts for them to around $50 each. However, going out to dinner WITH them and paying for it all sounds like a really good idea!