Question Reallocation event count warning

Shervan360

Sep 1, 2019
Hello,

Could you please help me? Is this a major problem? How can I fix it? Will the HDD fail soon?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-12_00-55-26.jpg
    photo_2021-05-12_00-55-26.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 17

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What is the drive? It looks like it only has one reallocated event count, which probably means a single sector was reallocated? That said, I would back up anything important, as it could get worse going forward. If under warranty, you could also RMA it.

Reactions: razel

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
A drive has actually more physical sectors than what is shown to the user. A reserve.
When write to physical sector fails, a new sector from reserve is taken into use.
The drive has a LBA to sector mapping. We see LBA. After reallocation consecutive LBAs
are no longer physically consecutive, which affects HDD disk access (of those LBAs).

(SSD's do reallocations for wear leveling too, but seek of physical sector in SSD is cheap
compared to HDD.)

Note that Reallocated Sectors Count and Current Pending Sectors are both 0.
There has thus been one attempt to reallocate, but no success nor immediate need to try again(?)

If writes to some sectors start to fail (and cause reallocations), then that physical location probably has an issue. That could escalate.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
The drive is healthy.
There is a G-Sense event and a CRC error. Which likely means the pc got bumped or something while running.
This don't take much to trigger, my drive has several G-Sense events.
The "Data" column is the actual number (in hex). So "Reallocated Sectors Count" is actually 0.

Reactions: aigomorla

nosurprises

Jan 4, 2021
Back up your important data. Then do a surface scan with HDDScan. If the count increases or your drive slows down randomly or gets stuck during scan, replace the drive.