realistic mileage estimate for 94-96 Chevy Impala SS?

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
well... i'm still looking into my desired car, and this is the pick of the litter so far.

my req's:

V-8 (or I-6)
RWD
non-asian
fairly high performer
large frame car.

i was looking at rebuilding a crown vic with a police package (cobra engine, lots of performance mods, police paint job ). i'm now looking at the Chevy Impala SS.

so, does anyone have a guess at a realistic mileage from that car?

alright, my driving styles:

i accelerate somewhat fast at stoplights/signs, cruise generally 5-10 mph over limit, and cruise at 80 or above on the freeway.

best guess? my father was guessing 12 mpg.

this car has the 5.7 L V-8, slightly modified, from the corvette. 350 cu in.

only reason this really concerns me is i know it'll be a low mileage vehicle, and i know it'll only run premium gas. so....

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
200 HP I was going to get an SS that has 240 HP but there was 6 month wait.

Sysadmin

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Sorry but why are you asking about gas milage if you want large HP numbers?? Those don't go together.

I am restoring a 75 Chevy Monza. Building the motor, diff, trans, etc.... and gas milage is one of the last things I am worried about. The only real thing that I am thinking about when it comes to gas, is that I want my car to run off pump gas. That is the only gas concern I have.

BUT the Impala is a great car. I would go for it over a Crown Vic anyday. The Vic is OK, but even long term cops will tell you the Caprice was a better car, and the Impala is juts a MUCH better caprice.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Sorry but why are you asking about gas milage if you want large HP numbers?? Those don't go together.

I am restoring a 75 Chevy Monza. Building the motor, diff, trans, etc.... and gas milage is one of the last things I am worried about. The only real thing that I am thinking about when it comes to gas, is that I want my car to run off pump gas. That is the only gas concern I have.

BUT the Impala is a great car. I would go for it over a Crown Vic anyday. The Vic is OK, but even long term cops will tell you the Caprice was a better car, and the Impala is juts a MUCH better caprice.

well.. i just want reasonable gas mileage. like 14-16 for city use. is that not likely? if not, that's fine. just a small factor in my decision.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
My dads averages about 15-17 in split 50/50 city/highway in his 94 Buick Roadmaster (same 260hp LT1 that the pImpala SS has). On only highway at about 70mph, he averages over 20mpg.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
any reason why general operating costs (replacement parts, etc) on the SS would cost more than that of a mustang GT?

boggsie

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
I owned one of the 'real' SS'es for seven years V8, RWD ... I sold it in March of 2003.

In stock trim (no engine, tire mods), I averaged 19 mpg city/highway mix. On long trips, I routinely averaged 22+ mpg. On a central Ohio to Austin Texas and back trip, I averaged 24.7 mpg with the car loaded down with four people and their luggage. Two of the people were women and we were going to a wedding.

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: boggsie
I owned one of the 'real' SS'es for seven years V8, RWD ... I sold it in March of 2003.

In stock trim (no engine, tire mods), I averaged 19 mpg city/highway mix. On long trips, I routinely averaged 22+ mpg. On a central Ohio to Austin Texas and back trip, I averaged 24.7 mpg with the car loaded down with four people and their luggage. Two of the people were women and we were going to a wedding.

Curious on how much you sold it for. Here in Cali, one in good condition with low miles goes for almost original sticker price. i've been looking for a good black 96.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: d33pt

Curious on how much you sold it for. Here in Cali, one in good condition with low miles goes for almost original sticker price. i've been looking for a good black 96.

they only come in black.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
considering a new corvette can get 30MPG on the highway, it's concievable that an ImpalaSS would get ~20MPG avg

EDIT: nah, you'd have to be an easy goer to get 20MPG....maybe 12-15MPG would be closer...22-25MPG on the highway

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Walleye
well... i'm still looking into my desired car, and this is the pick of the litter so far.

my req's:

V-8 (or I-6)
RWD
non-asian
fairly high performer
large frame car.

i was looking at rebuilding a crown vic with a police package (cobra engine, lots of performance mods, police paint job ). i'm now looking at the Chevy Impala SS.

so, does anyone have a guess at a realistic mileage from that car?

alright, my driving styles:

i accelerate somewhat fast at stoplights/signs, cruise generally 5-10 mph over limit, and cruise at 80 or above on the freeway.

best guess? my father was guessing 12 mpg.

this car has the 5.7 L V-8, slightly modified, from the corvette. 350 cu in.

only reason this really concerns me is i know it'll be a low mileage vehicle, and i know it'll only run premium gas. so....

I drive a 95 Caprice 9C1 police package (same drivetrain as the Impala SS) that i am turning into a poor mans SS. In freeway driving i actually get over 22 MPG, city around 15-17, depending on if i keep my foot out of it. :) MPG on these can be good, if you don't bury your right foot.

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003

they only come in black.

Impala's came in three colors, black, dcm(dark cherry metallic), and dggm(dark green gray metallic). However i beleive that the 94 was only in black. There are other differences between the model years as well (rear windows, engine management, shifter)

I've studied these cars pretty thoroughly, so if you have a question, let me know.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: 95SS

they only come in black.

Impala's came in three colors, black, dcm(dark cherry metallic), and dggm(dark green gray metallic). However i beleive that the 94 was only in black. There are other differences between the model years as well (rear windows, engine management, shifter)

I've studied these cars pretty thoroughly, so if you have a question, let me know.

what would i expect to pay for the SS, with below 80k miles, in good condition with no/little dents and no full accidents?

edit: guesstimate?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Some engines are more efficient than others.

95SS

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 95SS

they only come in black.

what would i expect to pay for the SS, with below 80k miles, in good condition with no/little dents and no full accidents?

edit: guesstimate?

I've seen them go as high as 15-17K. Expect to pay at least 10K for a decent car. That's exactly the reason that I am converting a Caprice to an Impala clone. At this time I couldn't justify 15K on an 8 year old car, even though I love them. 2K for a Caprice + ~3-5K in parts + time = a daily driver that i won't mind putting miles on. If I had a true SS, I'd never drive it, except when it was sunny and clear (two weeks a year here in OR).

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
I own an older caprice, but I've driven the Impala SS. They are great cars. Good luck finding a good deal on one tho. The only decent ones I could find were out of my price range. Go check out http://www.impalassforum.com/ for more info on them.