Real Clear Politics poll updates.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.realclearpolitics.c.../maps/obama_vs_mccain/

If I am reading it right, they moved Virginia from toss up to leaning Obama.
So their electoral map changed. They show the states leaning and solid for each candidate and give the electoral totals.
Obama went from 264 to 277 which is enough to win the election.

Personally, I hope it stays close in the polls. I want all the Central time zone states to vote while there is still some doubt as to the Presidential election.
Higher Democrat turnout will help the Senate races that are close.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
McCain's campaign is very, very close to completely finished. His hopes of success now bank on obama breaking an ankle around the final lap. McCain is behind too much and there is too little left to change. He has no kick yet aside from a scream, and that's just sucking out even more energy.

That map is quite funny. Obama has all the high count states and mccain relegated to the backass hick populations that don't ain't no neva gonna vote for no black man for president, no sir.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Another thread about polls that are mentioned in a thousand other threads. Why not update those.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
And RCP is one of the most conservative estimators as far as I know (not conservative politically, I mean conservative in that it's more reluctant to move a state out of the "toss up" category). www.pollster.com, www.electoral-vote.com, and www.fivethirtyeight.com have already put Ohio, Colorado, and Florida in the "leaning Obama" category.

Pretty much, it comes down to these states, and assuming even one of them goes to Obama, he wins. Chances of that happening are very good:

- North Carolina
- Missouri
- Indiana
- Ohio
- Virginia
- Florida
- Colorado
- Nevada (not an auto-win: if Obama gets Nevada but none of the other states mentioned here, it results in a tie, but in that case he'd probably be chosen by Congress anyway).

Remember: Just ONE of those states goes to Obama and it's all over. Now, McCain's likely to win Missouri, Indiana, and North Carolina. For him to win those three and two or three of the others on the list would already require a major comeback, which we're not seeing. But to take all eight and win the election? Virtually unthinkable.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
McCain is trying hard to get traction with the Ayres issue the way the Swiftboat issue gave Bush traction. All the conservative media are pushing that agenda. Fox, Tribune, Post, etc. It's a small girl's choir trying to put the Ayres message out over the 1,000 db din of the failing economy. Is that a good strategy? How many times can Lucy pull the football before America's Charlie Browns figure it out? We'll see, but I think McCain needs more. He's looking old, weak, stumbling, erratic and not fit to lead.

-Robert

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
mccain relegated to the backass hick populations that don't ain't no neva gonna vote for no black man for president, no sir.

certainly, the only reason for not voting for That One is because they're giant racists.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Skoorb
mccain relegated to the backass hick populations that don't ain't no neva gonna vote for no black man for president, no sir.

certainly, the only reason for not voting for That One is because they're giant racists.

well, obviously.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: chess9
McCain is trying hard to get traction with the Ayres issue the way the Swiftboat issue gave Bush traction. All the conservative media are pushing that agenda. Fox, Tribune, Post, etc. It's a small girl's choir trying to put the Ayres message out over the 1,000 db din of the failing economy. Is that a good strategy? How many times can Lucy pull the football before America's Charlie Browns figure it out? We'll see, but I think McCain needs more. He's looking old, weak, stumbling, erratic and not fit to lead.

-Robert

It's too bad really ....

History will judge McCain as a decent man and American hero who went to shit as a pandering old fart simply for political expediency

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

-Robert

It's too bad really ....

History will judge McCain as a decent man and American hero who went to shit as a pandering old fart simply for political expediency

It is a shame, and I feel bad for him. I think we'd be in a better USA today if he'd been elected in 2000. You can tell he's frustrated by having had President Bush take the 2000 election AND, in a sense, the 2008 election away from him, and it's clear he, like Hillary Clinton, resents having a young upstart beat him out of what he clearly feels is his destiny.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone

-Robert

It's too bad really ....

It is a shame, and I feel bad for him. I think we'd be in a better USA today if he'd been elected in 2000. You can tell he's frustrated by having had President Bush take the 2000 election AND, in a sense, the 2008 election away from him, and it's clear he, like Hillary Clinton, resents having a young upstart beat him out of what he clearly feels is his destiny.

Couldn't agree more with this. When McCain ran in 2000, I remember a lot of people from both parties getting really fired up about him. He really owned his maverick image back then. Now, though? No way.

Clearly, though, both parties are thinking way ahead. A lot of the positioning we're seeing now is probably an attempt by various politicians to safeguard themselves against criticism, so the problems we'll face in the coming years won't hurt their party's chances in 2012 and 2016. Face it - 4-8 years from now, Democrats will be claiming that the Bush presidency was the root cause of all the contemporary problems, while Republicans will be claiming it was Obama who is to blame.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
What I find more interesting is that West Virginia has now been moved to a toss-up. The playing field has been expanded, albeit on the basis of a curious poll by ARG.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

-Robert

It's too bad really ....

Agree. However, after McCain loses I will prefer to remember him as before he sold out his values, and our countries, in a desperate attempt to get elected.

It's sort of the fat Elvis or young Elvis.

Everyone prefers the young Elvis. And I hope that once McCain is out of politics people remember the positives about him.