Real Christians or freeloading fools?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Mong0
We'll see how pacifistic they are when Osama flies a plane into one of their barns.

Their daughters were lined up and shot in cold blood, the oldest two girls asked to be shot first and second so the younger may live and their elders attended the funeral of the killer, yet you still seek proof of their pacifism.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
I think the Amish allowed to practice their extreme pacifisim only because they live in the most powerful nation on earth with a heavy police protection from outside world. Totally insulated from extinction or at best persecution and second class status.. I also think they would all be slaughterd like lambs if they lived almost any place else and there would be no Amish. What do you think?

I think that instead of posting, you could have paid a quick visit to Wikipedia and found out how wrong you are beforehand.

People like them have been around and practicing their pacifism (amongst other things) since before the US was even a country. They've been persecuted, and they're still around, so I think its pretty damn arrogant of you to hold that view. Not only that, but you're ignoring the hundreds of thousands of Mennonites and other similar poeple outside the US.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: 1prophet
Originally posted by: Mong0
We'll see how pacifistic they are when Osama flies a plane into one of their barns.

Their daughters were lined up and shot in cold blood, the oldest two girls asked to be shot first and second so the younger may live and their elders attended the funeral of the killer, yet you still seek proof of their pacifism.

No no no. Zebo says the fate of pacifism is to be wiped out but HotChic brought up two successful pacifist movements that changed the world through an appeal to love and human dignity, that deepest of human inner qualities that makes us all the same like the people of Ohio, that Zebo doesn't buy. She then said that maybe their success was because they were pacifists. So what Mong0 did was to support that point by showing how absurd it would be to attack the Amish and treat them as a threat because all they got in the world is a barn. Was it the movie the Little Big Man or something like that where the old Indian Chief runs around in the middle of a battle where the Indians are being slaughtered and nobody shoots him because he's running around with a big smile? Anyway I am sure I can speak for Mong0 because I did.

edit: Of course when I say No no no I mean yes yes yes. The mentality mirrored in the words you found blind were intended as such. That blindness is out there in those filled with hate who must discredit any sighs of forgiveness as a threat to the validity of their state. We crucified Christ because he showed us the Good and we couldn't stand it. In order to get to the good you have to abandon the worthless and the worthless is us. It's why the meek fit through the damned needle, those who will feel their guilt as the need to be forgiven.

Ominous

Nov 7, 2001
Zebo

If it wasn't conditioned, and instead as you guys imply, based purly on respecting ones faitfulness to thier beliefs, y'all would have the same admiration for an extremly pious man like Osama and his divisions of suicide bombers? No?

No. I also qualified my stance by saying that they do not require others to follow their example (Osama does), and that they are not a burden on society (Osama certainly is).

I respect that hold their beliefs even in the face of adversity and do not wish to punish even those that negetivly affect their lives.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
The above post is mine. No idea how my auto-login logged me in as someone else.

Logged off, and logged back in when I realized it, and it logged me in correctly.

Any ideas what happened?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Forum problem they are attending to since last night. Simple log out and log back in solves it.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
As a fellow Christian, I have the upmost respect for the Amish way of life. Obviously for most it is all they know, but making the type of sacrifices they do for their faith is pretty amazing. I also have heard that the government as well as their state, which is extremely liberal, support them. That is surprising and I am pleased to see that the typical left-winger can put their difference of opinion aside to value a very conservative way of life.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: robphelan
i think you hit the nail on the head but for the wrong reason... i think the gov't allows them to practice their extreme way of live BECAUSE of their pacifism.

Here's a basic Civics class lesson for you-under the United States Constitution the government has absolutely no say in what religion any citizen practices.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DonVito
The Amish actually do pay taxes, other than Social Security, which they don't collect or pay.

I guess I don't consider them "freeloaders" at all, in that they're self-sufficient. Most Americans don't join the military or serve as policemen either, and in all fairness, no Amish person ever has, or ever would, start a war. They elect to live a very simple life, along with the rewards and costs of that simplicity. I for one admire their decency, even if I wouldn't want to live among them.

Of course they are hard working and decent peoples. I think it's clear I mean freeloading as in for thier own protection for centuries in USA.

if they're paying taxes, they're not exactly freeloading then

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Obviously the Amish live by this code making them extremely devout as opposed to some who never seen a war they didn't like.

Yes, these are real christians who follow the teachings of Jesus.

I also think they would all be slaughterd like lambs if they lived almost any place else and there would be no Amish. What do you think?

Not if you believe the meek shall inherit the Earth. Anyway, it depends what you mean by there would be no Amish. There's a decent chance they could stay around, they don't threaten anyone. Also, to the extent Amish are the produt of their beliefs, similiar beliefs would live on. You can't destroy ideas.