Reagan's Daughter: My Dad Would Be 'So Appalled' By GOP Presidential Candidates

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...sidential-candidates_567824cde4b06fa6887de7be

Patti Davis, daughter of former President Ronald Reagan and Nancy Reagan, blasted the current GOP's field of 2016 presidential candidates, and claimed her father would be similarly "appalled."

In an interview with me on SiriusXM Progress, Davis said her father, who was shot in an attempted assassination by John Hinckley Jr. in 1981, would not be able to imagine today’s gun violence. Davis also noted that in stark contrast to current GOP presidential candidates and most Republican leaders, her mother, Nancy Reagan, was “very happy” about the Supreme Court’s historic decision on marriage equality.

A long-time liberal who disagreed with her father’s views during his presidency, Davis became estranged from the former president, but the two reconciled in later years, an experience she recounted in her 2004 memoir, The Long Goodbye.

Responding to a question about Sen. Ted Cruz often positively invoking her father’s name on the campaign trail and during debates, Davis said, “It may be this week he’s doing it more than the others. But they all kind of do it. But yet, they are so not like him. My father would be so appalled at what’s going on. He would be so appalled at these candidates. I don’t think he would be a Republican. And if another Ronald Reagan came along right now, I don’t think the Republican Party would accept him.”

Her mother, Davis said, responded favorably to the Supreme Court’s marriage equality ruling and also appears to have a dim view of the current presidential candidates.

“She was very happy about that decision,” Davis said of Nancy Reagan. "I don’t talk to her too much about politics currently. She’s 94 and I think she has the right to live out the rest of life with a little bit of peace, which cannot be found in the current political scene. But you know, I don’t think she’s too happy about anybody on the current roster right now. I mean, there’s nobody presidential. Not in that group anyway."

Asked if Jeb Bush, whose family was tied to the Reagan family for 8 years in the '80s while Jeb’s father served as Reagan's vice president, was presidential, Davis responded, “Well, I don’t think he’s presidential, do you?”

Davis also imagined her father’s views about the GOP resistance to gun legislation today and the current climate of gun violence, given Reagan's support of laws restricting guns.

“He came out for the Brady bill in, I think, it was 1991,” she said of the bill that mandated federal background checks and eventually became law in 1993, named for Jim Brady, Reagan’s former press secretary who was paralyzed after being shot during the assassination attempt on Reagan. Reagan also supported the ban on assault weapons, passed in 1994, and which Congress and President George W. Bush allowed to expire in 2004. “I don’t think he’d ever be able to conceive what’s going on now,” Davis observed, “the amount of gun violence or weaponry.”

Getting harder and harder to ignore the truth.. it's a total clown car.

Feb 4, 2009
Is this the daughter that was in Playboy and wrote a book that made her family disown her?

However I do agree this Republican Party is not Reagan party. Similar stuff can be said about the Democratic party, its definitely not John Kennedy's party, not much of Jimmy Carters party.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]
However I do agree this Republican Party is not Reagan party. Similar stuff can be said about the Democratic party, its definitely not John Kennedy's party, not much of Jimmy Carters party.
Indeed. Both parties have shifted to the right, and have become even more focused on serving the financial elite. But, the GOP has shifted itself over the edge of the cliff, a problem that great numbers of thinking Republicans recognize. Unfortunately, the GOP also has too many brainless shills that bleat "but, liberals" on cue, every time their party is challenged, eagerly pulling the GOP further into the abyss.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Should anyone really care what this person thinks about politics?

images

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
However I do agree this Republican Party is not Reagan party.

We're trying to disown and destroy the Neocons, so it's no wonder the Regan lovers feel alienated. Big government Neocons are often described as the moderates in an attempt to garner cross party support for the cause. The same agenda bearers would say the Democrats are horrible if they didn't elect Obama or Clinton to carry on the same policies.

But this country REALLY hated Bush. This Republican shift is an angry response to the establishment that stood behind him. An establishment the Reagan Presidency started.

If Republicans wanted to be recognizable to Necons we'd elect Jeb and topple another country in the Middle East.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Indeed. Both parties have shifted to the right, and have become even more focused on serving the financial elite. But, the GOP has shifted itself over the edge of the cliff, a problem that great numbers of thinking Republicans recognize. Unfortunately, the GOP also has too many brainless shills that bleat "but, liberals" on cue, every time their party is challenged, eagerly pulling the GOP further into the abyss.

Hillary would have been a right of center republican back in the early 80's. THIS is how far this party has shifted to the right... almost completely off the flat earth so many of them believe in...

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Hillary would have been a right of center republican back in the early 80's. THIS is how far this party has shifted to the right... almost completely off the flat earth so many of them believe in...

She would not. Just stop. Reagan was a DC outsider who was roundly hated by the Establishment until the people went with him, they had no choice.

But I do agree the Rep party has shifted, shifted away from the Base. They have shifted more left.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I sympathize with Reagan's daughter in some ways and agree with her in others.

However, Ronnie Reagan was implicitly responsible for ramping up the ever growing economic chasm that exists between the very rich and the middle class/poor.

As well, Reagan's ideological similarities to the current Repub candidates far outweigh the differences that his daughter ascribes to him in that the ideology of favoring the wealthy at the expense of the middle class and the poor hasn't changed a single iota since Reagan took office.

The only difference I see between Reagan and the current crop of Repubs is that those carved in stone ideological pursuits have accelerated to the point where Reagan could only dream of such accomplishments.

Reagan, if still alive, would have been ecstatic and proud about what his efforts have led to.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Hoo-ee. Not even the second page went by before the self-righteous prudes decided to post.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Obama AND Clinton are more conservative than Reagan was. And the current GOP candidates are way out in "build a compound and write a manifesto" territory.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
I really enjoyed how you're being self-righteous about the self-righteous prudes you're alluding to.

Good job with that. ;)

They're the ones stating that she was in Playboy, therefore whatever she says is invalid.

I'm sayin' that's complete bollocks.

See the difference?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
That didn't take long for her to lie. We have a "massive decline in gun violence" since her father's Presidency. What other lies are she selling, and why?
Oh, stop. You're deliberately misrepresenting her comment. The first line of your own link shows exactly where she's coming from:
"Premeditated mass shootings in public places are happening more often, some researchers say, plunging towns and cities into grief and riveting the attention of a horrified nation."
That's a huge change compared to the Reagan era.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Oh, stop. You're deliberately misrepresenting her comment. The first line of your own link shows exactly where she's coming from:
"Premeditated mass shootings in public places are happening more often, some researchers say, plunging towns and cities into grief and riveting the attention of a horrified nation."
That's a huge change compared to the Reagan era.
There have been 73 since 1983. That is nothing. They aren't happening more often.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
There have been 73 since 1983. That is nothing. They aren't happening more often.
Yet you squawk like Chicken Little over the minuscule number of Islamic terrorist attacks in the U.S. Your perceptions are tainted by your political agenda.

Perhaps more importantly, you are factually wrong. Your own data supports my point. Here is the source of your '73' figure. Over half of those mass shootings happened in the last ten years, about 30% in the last five. Fewer than one per year happened while Reagan was president. We had four in 2015 alone. The simple fact is such shooting are happening more often. Davis was right.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Yet you squawk like Chicken Little over the minuscule number of Islamic terrorist attacks in the U.S. Your perceptions are tainted by your political agenda.

Perhaps more importantly, you are factually wrong. Your own data supports my point. Here is the source of your '73' figure. Over half of those mass shootings happened in the last ten years, about 30% in the last five. Fewer than one per year happened while Reagan was president. We had four in 2015 alone. The simple fact is such shooting are happening more often. Davis was right.
That's because I don't want to import terrorism. We have enough problems as it is.

Could be something, could be nothing. Statistically speaking it is insignificant.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Getting harder and harder to ignore the truth.. it's a total clown car.

It is also complete nonsense. Reagan was a big government "conservative". He spent money like a madman. You could say the latest omnibus spending bill was Reaganesque. Everyone got what they wanted, except for the taxpayer. Congress is more liberal now than it was when Reagan was president, despite the House actually having a republican majority.