Question Reading recordable cd's and dvd's after a decade

cramer90

Feb 27, 2003
I am going through old cd's and dvd's I've stored stuff on through the last couple of decades. The trouble is my windows 10 computer does not see the data on the recordable disc's. It acts like it wants to write data to the disc but doesn't see data already on it. Any advice would be great. I had thought of posting in the storage area, but this seems like a software problem.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Probably CD/DVD compatibility issues or the quality of those CD/DVDs being deteriorated.

The only way is get another drive to try.

==

Well, see below. Don't have any CD/DVD and drives now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
A possibility is that the disks were written as multi session as opposed to "closed"/"Disk at Once". If this is the case, then, ya, Win 10 may want to attempt to continue adding to the disk media.

Ensure that you disable the built in disk writing capability of Win 10 firstly. Next, make sure that you have some decent CD/DvD writing software installed. I think you can get "NERO Start Smart Essentials" as a free download that works with Win 10. There are other free burning/reading CD/DvD programs available as well.

Finally, Ive got CD/DvD disks written over 10 years ago & none of them has gone bad, so I think that you just need the right software for the job.

Good Luck !

Reactions: mxnerd