Read the SSD sticky...but damn...

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Heheh yo, sorry for the title.

Read the sticky 2 times and I know what to look at, what brand is good, etc.

I'm currently looking at Crucial M4 and Intel 330/520 series. I'm considering 128gb SSDs which will be used as the boot drive and running programs like AutoCAD and stuff like that.

But the thing is, when I look at Crucial M4s for example, there's like 5 models that all look the same. Some come with transfer kits, others are OEM and others are boxed...All look like to have the same specs...

I'm a bit confused...

I know transfer kit is not needed for me...but apart from that, what else should I look at? It's pretty confusing when you check brands and most have like 4-5 models that look exactly the same but all have the 4 final numbers/letters changing in the model number...

Here's an example:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...=1&name=2.5%22

OR

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...d=1&name=Intel

And, any other awesome brands I should look like?

naimcohen

Jun 13, 2005
Hi,

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago and bought the samsung 830 series SSD, maybe have a look at that one too...sorry to make you more confused now!

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
You will rarely see any real life differences in performance between the top reliability SSDs outside of benchmarks, so just buy any of these: Intel SSDs (any), Samsung 830, Crucial M4, Plextor (any). Almost nobody sloshes big files between SSDs so just ignore misleading sequential transfer speed ratings. What you really want is random 4k read/write performance and those drives I listed are all top-reliability and over 20 MB/s 4k random read.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
You will rarely see any real life differences in performance between the top reliability SSDs outside of benchmarks, so just buy any of these: Intel SSDs (any), Samsung 830, Crucial M4, Plextor (any). Almost nobody sloshes big files between SSDs so just ignore misleading sequential transfer speed ratings. What you really want is random 4k read/write performance and those drives I listed are all top-reliability and over 20 MB/s 4k random read.

Great to know, thanks for the info!

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Vertex4 is faster than the drives listed-- costs less... and has a better 5 year warranty.

I'd check that out.

Samsung 830 is a nice choice too.