Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Because this country is fucking selfish and stupid. That sums it all up. If fear were the only problem I think would be able to reach heard immunity.

The self centered answer is that I'm immune, the rest of the herd can do as they please.
The reality is that the vast majority of them will survive should they contract the rona. It's jungle rules, but it's our reality.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The self centered answer is that I'm immune, the rest of the herd can do as they please.
The reality is that the vast majority of them will survive should they contract the rona. It's jungle rules, but it's our reality.
We don't actually live in a jungle though.
We are lucky enough to live in a modern state with access to resources to combat this illness. All that's holding us back is our own stupidity.

Reactions: hal2kilo

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
for my health insurance if I don’t keep my weight down, keep sugar levels low by eating healthy and etc. I have to pay extra. I hope the insurance companies add in vaccinations. Let these people and their bullshit lies pay for it out of their wallet.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
for my health insurance if I don’t keep my weight down, keep sugar levels low by eating healthy and etc. I have to pay extra. I hope the insurance companies add in vaccinations. Let these people and their bullshit lies pay for it out of their wallet.
most insurance can't do that under ACA

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
most insurance can't do that under ACA

Well not exactly. Discount yes. Premiums no. The end result is the same

Group health plans will, however, retain the ability to offer premium discounts contingent on meeting a health status goal as part of a wellness benefit.

Reactions: weblooker2021

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well not exactly. Discount yes. Premiums no. The end result is the same

Group health plans will, however, retain the ability to offer premium discounts contingent on meeting a health status goal as part of a wellness benefit.
I don't understand why more insurance companies don't offer gym subsidies. Years ago I had a plan that essentially paid for your membership as long as you made a minimum number of visits/year. They still don't incentivize wellness just treat illness.

Reactions: weblooker2021

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
We don't actually live in a jungle though.
We are lucky enough to live in a modern state with access to resources to combat this illness. All that's holding us back is our own stupidity.
That's pretty much all of human history in a nut shell.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Concern about the covid vaccine being rushed is pretty common, couple that with a shady administration and it’s understandable why people would have that concern.

However the concern is unfounded as it was developed and tested relatively quickly because of several factors including the fact that a vaccine for similar diseases was already underway (mers), add that with complete funding and you have the ability to move preclinical/clinical assessments through quickly which allowed phase three trials to also begin quickly. While this was going on the vaccine were already starting to be manufactured.

It’s amazing what humans can accomplish when they work together on a single goal.

Reactions: dank69

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Concern about the covid vaccine being rushed is pretty common, couple that with a shady administration and it’s understandable why people would have that concern.

However the concern is unfounded as it was developed and tested relatively quickly because of several factors including the fact that a vaccine for similar diseases was already underway (mers), add that with complete funding and you have the ability to move preclinical/clinical assessments through quickly which allowed phase three trials to also begin quickly. While this was going on the vaccine were already starting to be manufactured.

It’s amazing what humans can accomplish when they work together on a single goal.

I would also guess that the fact that a pandemic was raging made it easier to test the efficacy of the vaccine. I would presume it takes rather a long time to test the efficacy of a vaccine for a disease that isn't very common, as you'd have to study a lot of people for a long time to pick up the signs of any effect.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Explain why you are not getting a vaccine in the middle of a pandemic.
Explain why you are relying on other people to do that so that you can hope to have a relatively normal existence.
Explain why we shouldn't just think of you as a coward and a parasite.

What's there to explain? He's a troll who thinks people dying of COVID is funny shit.