Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Because this country is fucking selfish and stupid. That sums it all up. If fear were the only problem I think would be able to reach heard immunity.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Hope booster shots are enough to keep us safe. Maybe the anti-vaxxers will start to be culled out. Be sure anyone you care about is vaccinated and let nature take care of them. I would also like to see care facilities setup for covid only. Treat them like they have the plague and just make them comfortable. Keep regular ICUs open for people who are less fucking stupid.

Also, buy stock in pharma. They are all going to be in this for the long haul. Covid variants will force a step change in development methods and they will be producing quarterly booster shots.

Brought to you by the freedom loving GOP and Fox News. They found another way to divide the nation over personal health choices. Fantastic.

Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Vaccine and boosters for everyone who wants them. The rest can learn the hard way.

Reactions: cytg111
Dec 10, 2005
Vaccine and boosters for everyone who wants them. The rest can learn the hard way.
I wish it was only the willingly unvaccinated that would bear the consequences of their actions, but it won't. The consequences of the actions of these utterly selfish people will fall on immunocompromised people, people that got vaccinated, but it didn't generate immunity, or on children, who are not yet eligible.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Like he cares about women.

More to the point, how many deaths is that asshole going to be responsible for? The shit he's spewing on his popular program is one of the reasons conservatives are not getting vaccinated, which itself is the most important reason we're never going to get rid of this virus.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I blame Trump. Zero chance we'd be having this issue if Obama or Bush was president at the time of the crisis. COVID was so politicized that its pretty much toxic in large parts of the country to say you're even a little bit interested in stopping its spread which is sad.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My theory as to why Tucker is so anti-vaxx is he knows the more back to normal we get as a country, the better off it is for Biden, so if he can convince people to avoid the vaccine and us getting back to normal faster, it's better for Biden's opponents.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
My theory as to why Tucker is so anti-vaxx is he knows the more back to normal we get as a country, the better off it is for Biden, so if he can convince people to avoid the vaccine and us getting back to normal faster, it's better for Biden's opponents.

I don't think Fucker cares all that much about the actual politics. I think he's selling his viewers what they want to buy. Anti-vax is a thing with conservatives right now. It's all about his ratings, popularity, and money. And so far as all that goes, it's probably better for him if Biden is in office as it keeps the grievance engine churning.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wish it was only the willingly unvaccinated that would bear the consequences of their actions, but it won't. The consequences of the actions of these utterly selfish people will fall on immunocompromised people, people that got vaccinated, but it didn't generate immunity, or on children, who are not yet eligible.
Plus the longer this goes on the more likely we are to throw up a variant that isn't affected by the vaccines, then we are back to the beginning again.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I blame Trump. Zero chance we'd be having this issue if Obama or Bush was president at the time of the crisis. COVID was so politicized that its pretty much toxic in large parts of the country to say you're even a little bit interested in stopping its spread which is sad.
All cause he needed R voters on the streets at the ballots come voting time... He walked 500.000 souls off the cliff and still lost.

Dec 10, 2005
Plus the longer this goes on the more likely we are to throw up a variant that isn't affected by the vaccines, then we are back to the beginning again.
Immunity will always be on a spectrum, so I don't think we're likely to see a variant where the vaccine provides 0 immunity. However, it is certainly a concern that we'll see an immune-escape variant where the current crop of vaccines provides very limited protection, allowing for another flare up of COVID-19.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Plus the rest of us will be paying those spongers medical bills caused by their willful refusal to take a trivial step to protect their health.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Personally I don't care about herd immunity as I , my family and all friend are all fully back to normal. Those that still afraid should look for an options to stay at home for the rest of their life.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Personally I don't care about herd immunity as I , my family and all friend are all fully back to normal. Those that still afraid should look for an options to stay at home for the rest of their life.
while i don't precisely wish for a more virulent strain of covid to develop and affect you while the rest of the vaccinated population has immunity (you know, because we believe in science)...i also wouldn't exactly feel bad if it happened either.

your attitude is the exact reason why we are where we are

Reactions: Meghan54