Reach out to the Taliban': British defence secretary

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
'Reach out to the Taliban': British defence secretary LONDON, March 29 (AFP) - Britain should reach out to elements of the Taliban militia in Afghanistan who can be won over to the side of democracy, Defence Secretary Des Browne said in an interview published in Daily Telegraph Saturday. Browne said conflict resolution was about persuading people who believe that violence is the way to achieve their aims to try to fulfil their ambitions through politics instead. And that meant engaging with individuals or groups, even if their views were disagreeable. He applied the argument to Taliban insurgents as well as Lebanon's Hezbollah. His comments come after Jonathan Powell, who was former prime minister Tony Blair's top adviser, said in a March 15 interview with The Guardian that Western nations should talk to the likes of the Taliban, Hamas and Al-Qaeda. (Posted @ 09:50 PST)

I think this should have been done a long time before. Before the Afghan war itself. I think the British now realize that they can not defeat the Taliban as easily as the initially thought. Even the new Pakistani PM thinks the same.

PM Gilani asks militants to abandon path of violence; vows restoration of deposed judges ISLAMABAD, March 29 (AFP): Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani Saturday urged militants to renounce violence and offered to hold talks with those who give up arms and join the new democratic era. Addressing the parliament after wining a unanimous vote of confidence, Gilani said terrorism was the biggest threat undermining Pakistan's stability. ?Our first priority will be restoration of law and order and elimination of terrorism from the country,? said Gilani. ?The fight against terrorism is our own fight because it has claimed innocent lives of children and young men of Pakistan?unfortunately some people have made violence a means to express their views. I appeal to all those people to abandon the path of violence and join us in the journey of democracy.? Gilani promised a special package of political and economic reforms in tribal areas as part of government strategy to fight terrorism and extremism. Gilani also said his government would continue efforts to reinstate judges ousted by President Musharraf in November last year under emergency rule and said the government would ensure the independence of the judiciary. (First Posted @ 13:25 PST, Updated @ 14:40 PST)

I guess it is up to the American people now to make their war-criminal leaders stop this needless war and bloodshed. It is time for them to do something instead of ducking their faces in to the ground like ostriches. The American Empire's fall has started. When will people learn not to over stretch their resources?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: The Green Bean
'Reach out to the Taliban': British defence secretary LONDON, March 29 (AFP) - Britain should reach out to elements of the Taliban militia in Afghanistan who can be won over to the side of democracy, Defence Secretary Des Browne said in an interview published in Daily Telegraph Saturday. Browne said conflict resolution was about persuading people who believe that violence is the way to achieve their aims to try to fulfil their ambitions through politics instead. And that meant engaging with individuals or groups, even if their views were disagreeable. He applied the argument to Taliban insurgents as well as Lebanon's Hezbollah. His comments come after Jonathan Powell, who was former prime minister Tony Blair's top adviser, said in a March 15 interview with The Guardian that Western nations should talk to the likes of the Taliban, Hamas and Al-Qaeda. (Posted @ 09:50 PST)

I think this should have been done a long time before. Before the Afghan war itself. I think the British now realize that they can not defeat the Taliban as easily as the initially thought. Even the new Pakistani PM thinks the same.

PM Gilani asks militants to abandon path of violence; vows restoration of deposed judges ISLAMABAD, March 29 (AFP): Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani Saturday urged militants to renounce violence and offered to hold talks with those who give up arms and join the new democratic era. Addressing the parliament after wining a unanimous vote of confidence, Gilani said terrorism was the biggest threat undermining Pakistan's stability. ?Our first priority will be restoration of law and order and elimination of terrorism from the country,? said Gilani. ?The fight against terrorism is our own fight because it has claimed innocent lives of children and young men of Pakistan?unfortunately some people have made violence a means to express their views. I appeal to all those people to abandon the path of violence and join us in the journey of democracy.? Gilani promised a special package of political and economic reforms in tribal areas as part of government strategy to fight terrorism and extremism. Gilani also said his government would continue efforts to reinstate judges ousted by President Musharraf in November last year under emergency rule and said the government would ensure the independence of the judiciary. (First Posted @ 13:25 PST, Updated @ 14:40 PST)

I guess it is up to the American people now to make their war-criminal leaders stop this needless war and bloodshed. It is time for them to do something instead of ducking their faces in to the ground like ostriches. The American Empire's fall has started. When will people learn not to over stretch their resources?
Our presence and continued battle in Afghanistan is entirely honorable and justified. Hopefully, once our current election cycle is finished, our Special Forces troops will be allowed to enter NW Pakistan to finish off AQ and the Taliban found there, once and for all. The Taliban, as a whole, deserve no mercy, and there will never be a peace with them -- regardless of the idiotic statements made by those British statesmen. The Taliban's idea of "peace" involves daily rapes, murders, and unchecked religious tyranny enforced at the end of a gun.

It's long past time that we refocus our energies on the sick and twisted extremists who reside in The Green Bean's own backyard.

TGB, you better tell your extremist friends that we're coming; and you better tell your military to get ready as well. When we flip on the light in the frontier, the sick Taliban and AQ bastards who have poisoned the region are going to scatter all over Pakistan like the cockroaches that they are. When that happens, the Pakistani Army better put them down quickly, or else they're likely to infest another random part of your country all over again.

We'll get the ones we see, and we'll make sure they don't stand back up. You and yours can handle the ones we miss... right?

Good.

I'll see ya soon.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
This has been discussed in previous threads and the British Defense secretary is not the first to have this idea. Count Karzia and others in the long list of those trying to start such talks.

Nor is the palehorse74 chest thumping anything new as the older Afghani occupation fails just like Iraq. And in a sense one of his predictions is coming true, the American military presence is making Pakistan far less stable. As Palehorse74's ideas of brute force winning flop flatter than pancakes in both places. As he advocates widening the war thus thinning our selves even more than we already am.

We can only hope wiser heads willing to talk will accomplish something where paalehorse74 has failed at. And step one may be to call the palehorse74 types home because their stinking thinking only makes things worse.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74

Our presence and continued battle in Afghanistan is entirely honorable and justified. Hopefully, once our current election cycle is finished, our Special Forces troops will be allowed to enter NW Pakistan to finish off AQ and the Taliban found there, once and for all. The Taliban, as a whole, deserve no mercy, and there will never be a peace with them -- regardless of the idiotic statements made by those British statesmen. The Taliban's idea of "peace" involves daily rapes, murders, and unchecked religious tyranny enforced at the end of a gun.

It's long past time that we refocus our energies on the sick and twisted extremists who reside in The Green Bean's own backyard.

TGB, you better tell your extremist friends that we're coming; and you better tell your military to get ready as well. When we flip on the light in the frontier, the sick Taliban and AQ bastards who have poisoned the region are going to scatter all over Pakistan like the cockroaches that they are. When that happens, the Pakistani Army better put them down quickly, or else they're likely to infest another random part of your country all over again.

We'll get the ones we see, and we'll make sure they don't stand back up. You and yours can handle the ones we miss... right?

Good.

I'll see ya soon.

Lol you sound very much like a Nazi. Do you even know what the taliban are? Or perhaps just like the nazis brainwashed to teach that all jews were evil your government does the same against the taliban and muslims. If you claim to represent your entire army then I say they are fascists pigs.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
no, I dont believe in talking to the Taliban. The reason the Taliban are not defeated was because they were accepted into Pakistan. From their bases in Pakistan they were allowed to heal, rearm, recruit, and retrain. I say go after them.

I understand if you fight someone and you can't beat them and you end up in a stalemate, maybe you should negotiate. But thats not the case here. We kicked their butts. They fled. If they hadn't had Pakistan to flee too, we woulda won long ago. If Pakistan had been strong and met them at the border, they woulda been crushed. Now it seems like its up to us to have to make sure that they have no place to flee too whether its because of the inability or the unwillingness of Pakistan to help.

i think Pakistan should pay for its history of training militants and sending them out to its neighbors. When they are forced back and your own government is pressured to disown them, of course they will turn on you.

Truth to be told, I have never liked Pakistan. I have always thought it was stupid of them to train militants and send them across in Kashmir. And when I read about the Taliban sweeping across Afghanistan I was not surprised that they were aided and had the full backing and support of the Pakistani intelligence. Now these militants that Pakistan helped grow and foster are turning against them launching suicide attacks throughout Pakistan in the last two years. Some part of me actually hopes that Pakistan pays more so that they will learn to make peace with their neighbors rather than sending out militants to try to expand their strategic influence.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Lol you sound very much like a Nazi. Do you even know what the taliban are?

considering how many of them I have met, face-to-face, I'd certainly say so.

Or perhaps just like the nazis brainwashed to teach that all jews were evil your government does the same against the taliban and muslims. If you claim to represent your entire army then I say they are fascists pigs.
We're "fascist pigs" for wanting to end the Taliban's brutal daily rapes, murders, and other violent forms of religious oppression?

Well then I guess you're right.

Even so, I speak for myself here, not our entire Army.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
The march of Islamofascism remains unabated, exactly as I predicted. Read compromise here as telling to the Taliban "Do what you want, but don't make too much noise about it, okayyyyyyyyyy? Then we can all pretend its all fine"

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I guess it is up to the American people now to make their war-criminal leaders stop this needless war and bloodshed.

The Taliban can stop this needless war and bloodshed.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Lol you sound very much like a Nazi. Do you even know what the taliban are?

Or perhaps just like the nazis brainwashed to teach that all jews were evil your government does the same against the taliban and muslims. If you claim to represent your entire army then I say they are fascists pigs.
We're "fascist pigs" for wanting to end the Taliban's brutal daily rapes, murders, and other violent forms of religious oppression?

Even so, I speak for myself here, not our entire Army.

You poor honorable man,

Your sacrifice all went to waste. Stabbed in the back by the politicians at home, stabbed in the chest by your allies, all you can do is now go home. So do so with honor and leave the likes of The Green Bean to the tender mercies of his heros : the taliban. With the fall of Pakistan, that event is imminent and frankly he wouldn't deserve any less terrible a fate.

So go home and try to forget this sorry episode. There is only so much you can do to save those who don't want to be saved. So go home as a hero for you did fight with your hands and conscience clean. I couldn't join in this struggle myself, but the very least I can do is make it known I appreciated yours, even if your own countrymen doesn't do so.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Here is the gist people, the west has given itself up to defeat, they lost the initiative.

And all of you know that means you lost the war.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
the BladeVenom argument is--- Just because some appeasement failed with Hitler, it will fail 100% of the time. Talking is never productive, any time anyone disagrees with you in any way, kill em. Kill Kill KILL.

The problem with the taliban is 100% evil is that it applies more to its leaders than most of its early followers. The fact is that the taliban was a homegrown Afghan answer to other problems that resulted when the equally bad war lords and thugs took over after a long period of civil war and anarchy. And now its a somewhat self fulfilling prophesy because we are dealing with only the most radical and extreme elements of the taliban.

And the problems with demonizing Pakistan gets even more problematical. Pakistan is a mostly moderate country that embraces modernity. And its moderates are in control and are able to keep its Islamic radicals in a minority position. And as such, many are confined to the underdeveloped areas of Pakistan that mostly resembles most of Afghanistan. And the last damn thing the Pakistanis will tolerate is the US army boots on the ground bring their brand of killing and stupidity into Pakistan. And in areas in Pakistan where Taliban types hold political sway, it does not turn into the mass injustice Palehorse74 predicts. And even more devastating to the palehorse74 argument is the
FACT that Pakistan has arrested and detained more AL-Quida operatives than the rest of the entire world combined. Which only means that for all palehorse74's chest thumping, Palehorse74 should be learning how to do his job from the Pakistanis.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
The problem with the taliban is 100% evil is that it applies more to its leaders than most of its early followers.

Once again..

From what do you derive that in-depth analysis!? Are you just guessing? Did you stay at a Holiday Inn express? Are you related to any of them?

I have never encountered any ideological disparity between the leadership and membership within the Taliban -- in terms of their willingness to commit atrocities, and their outright contempt for all things moderate and reasonable, they are essentially one and the same!

Their lowliest "members" are some of the worst and most violent amongst them.

Your entire theory is bunk.

And in areas in Pakistan where Taliban types hold political sway, it does not turn into the mass injustice Palehorse74 predicts.
It most certainly does.

And even more devastating to the palehorse74 argument is the FACT that Pakistan has arrested and detained more AL-Quida operatives than the rest of the entire world combined.
...which has barely placed a dent in the AQ population of NW Pakistan.. imagine that. And, they've only done so when it was exceptionally easy, or politically convenient.

Which only means that for all palehorse74's chest thumping, Palehorse74 should be learning how to do his job from the Pakistanis.
LAWL! you have no fvcking idea...

You are still, and will always be, the most clueless poster here when it comes to all-thing Afghanistan. I serious son, you're so far out in left field that I don't think you'll ever make it back -- I just wish I could drag you out of your basement long enough to go learn the truth for yourself...

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

That's what a Nazi would have said. The Taliban is an ideology no matter how backward and is not solely a militant group. But I'm afraid your military academy has brainwashed you to think otherwise. I feel sorry for soldiers like you on both sides of the war who are dying for nothing. It's funny when you think that the Neo-Nazists are allowed to live in the US while neo-Talibanists who have not killed American civilians as some believe should be exterminated.

And for those of you that think that Pakistan will continue to help your so called war on terror despite of civilian casualties then I'm afraid your assumptions will not last long. The American government in Afghanistan is hostile towards us and has been accepting aid from India for anti-Pakistan propaganda and terrorism.

And for those that think that American military might can do whatever they please, please get a reality check. They can hardly hold 20% of Iraq (population: 22million) even with 160,000 troops.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
the BladeVenom argument is--- Just because some appeasement failed with Hitler, it will fail 100% of the time. Talking is never productive, any time anyone disagrees with you in any way, kill em. Kill Kill KILL.

The problem with the taliban is 100% evil is that it applies more to its leaders than most of its early followers. The fact is that the taliban was a homegrown Afghan answer to other problems that resulted when the equally bad war lords and thugs took over after a long period of civil war and anarchy. And now its a somewhat self fulfilling prophesy because we are dealing with only the most radical and extreme elements of the taliban.

And the problems with demonizing Pakistan gets even more problematical. Pakistan is a mostly moderate country that embraces modernity. And its moderates are in control and are able to keep its Islamic radicals in a minority position. And as such, many are confined to the underdeveloped areas of Pakistan that mostly resembles most of Afghanistan. And the last damn thing the Pakistanis will tolerate is the US army boots on the ground bring their brand of killing and stupidity into Pakistan. And in areas in Pakistan where Taliban types hold political sway, it does not turn into the mass injustice Palehorse74 predicts. And even more devastating to the palehorse74 argument is the
FACT that Pakistan has arrested and detained more AL-Quida operatives than the rest of the entire world combined. Which only means that for all palehorse74's chest thumping, Palehorse74 should be learning how to do his job from the Pakistanis.

Ha Ha Ha,

The Pakistani's way of doing is the job is running with the hares and hunting with the hounds. There is really no merit in the argument that Pakistanis caught more Taliban than anyone, its the Taliban zone and they created them in the first place!

As for Pakistan being a moderate country, that's the worst delusion I ever seen. The world is indeed silent about the devastation befallen minorities there and compounding that with perpetual army rule, people who believe in Pakistani moderation are really being naive.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

Nope you're fascist pigs for starting an illegal war and wanting to kill every taliban there is - peaceful or not; Armed or not.

You have no right to decide how the people of another country should rule themselves. If you think your ideology is superior to all others and should be implemented forcefully then you prove that you are fascist pigs.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
I guess it is up to the American people now to make their war-criminal leaders stop this needless war and bloodshed.

The Taliban can stop this needless war and bloodshed.

How? By surrendering to a foreign army that wants to impose its laws on them?

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
There are no ideological discrepancies between the Taliban leadership and their cadres whatsoever.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005

Nope you're fascist pigs for starting an illegal war and wanting to kill every taliban there is - peaceful or not; Armed or not.

You have no right to decide how the people of another country should rule themselves. If you think your ideology is superior to all others and should be implemented forcefully then you prove that you are fascist pigs.

Pakistan created the Taliban so as to create a buffer zone for themselves to fall back on in case of Indian invasion. So who interfered with whom, Green bean?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Braznor

Ha Ha Ha,

The Pakistani's way of doing is the job is running with the hares and hunting with the hounds. There is really no merit in the argument that Pakistanis caught more Taliban than anyone, its the Taliban zone and they created them in the first place!

As for Pakistan being a moderate country, that's the worst delusion I ever seen. The world is indeed silent about the devastation befallen minorities there and compounding that with perpetual army rule, people who believe in Pakistani moderation are really being naive.

Live with the fact that Pakistan is officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005

Ha Ha Ha,

Live with the fact that Pakistan is officially the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

So is that the reason why you wave flags for the Taliban, eh?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

That's what a Nazi would have said.
:confused:?! you claimed that I didn't know what/who the Taliban are, and I simply stated that, having met hundreds of their membership, face-to-face, I know them very well.

How does that equate to the nazis in any way, shape, or form!? Are they known for falsely claiming to have met a lot of Jews?!

The Taliban is an ideology no matter how backward and is not solely a militant group. But I'm afraid your military academy has brainwashed you to think otherwise. I feel sorry for soldiers like you on both sides of the war who are dying for nothing. It's funny when you think that the Neo-Nazists are allowed to live in the US while neo-Talibanists who have not killed American civilians as some believe should be exterminated.
They provided direct support for a man, and a group, who killed 3000+ Americans on 9/11. Then, once we went to Afghanistan to kick their fvcking asses, we realized just how evil they are as a group. The atrocities that they commit, on a daily basis, against the people of both Afghanistan and Pakistan, are beyond mercy; and they're certainly well beyond any possibility of acceptance.

I sincerely pray that the Taliban, and all who support them, are erased from the planet forever -- every last evil one of them.

And for those of you that think that Pakistan will continue to help your so called war on terror despite of civilian casualties then I'm afraid your assumptions will not last long. The American government in Afghanistan is hostile towards us and has been accepting aid from India for anti-Pakistan propaganda and terrorism.

And for those that think that American military might can do whatever they please, please get a reality check. They can hardly hold 20% of Iraq (population: 22million) even with 160,000 troops.
All we need are SOF and USAF airstrikes. We will erase the Taliban who currently threaten Afghanistan.

bet?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
There are no ideological discrepancies between the Taliban leadership and their cadres whatsoever.

So you wish to say that's enough of a reason to kill them all? Just like the Nazis thought it was enough of a reason to kill because a person was a jew and believed in jewish beliefs?