re:Webcams May Record Secretly

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
This article appears in today's newspaper:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/dec/19/tp-webcams-may-be-able-to-record-secretly/all/?print

Although the main article is old news, information it seems to add that perhaps wasnt clear (at least to me or at least hadn't considered it to date) is the idea of a spy/hacker being able to download something that implements a firmware modification to one or more computer chip components. In this case, it is the webcam related chip, but it could actually be any one or more of the other circuit chips cited in the article.

Last night on Clyde Lewis "Ground Zero" it was cited and affirmed by a call in that quite sometime back, legislation was passed that required major computer hardware and software manufacturers to provide secret "backdoor" accesses. (The actual bill was cited, but I did not record or memorize the reference number, but apparently this has been ongoing for many many years now, possibly since 1994 even.)

Seems to me that if this is all true, then the type of security compromises which could be ongoing are beyond just wiping an HDD and reinstalling an OS. It also seems that there should be a market here for a security software that inspects a total machine including its hardware/firmware suite for authenticity/modification/malware.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
There is stuff out there you haven't even dreamed up. Scary stuff.

Back in school, I started studying security - it only took one semester to cement the idea that I did not want to get into the computer security field for a career :)

Malodrik

Oct 20, 2013
Even the webcams that have "activity" or "power" lights aren't safe, because the firmware that controls it can be altered. Times like this I'm glad the resolution on my laptops webcam blows.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Keep malware off your system and your web cam covered and you shouldn't have a problem. If you are really paranoid, physically disconnect the computer's web cam and mic.

Had no idea who Clyde Lewis was so I looked him up. Entertainment? Maybe. Take seriously? Um, no. :)

-KeithP

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I have an old Logitech with a built in shutter. Others I just put a sticker over. My current work lap I use for google hangouts all the time so I can't do much there.

Scarinx

Jan 19, 2014
Yes it is possible with a RAT and probably hundreds more sophisticated software If you are really paranoid tape it up and you can do your dirty business in peace.
Enjoy