Re-selling beer

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Is it illegal to buy a case of beer from grocery store, then reselling the individual bottles?

Drink it first. Then piss out the improved product into new bottles and sell it.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Most products come with a warning that reads "not for individual resale." And you need a license to sell alcohol.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Is it illegal to throw a party and charge $5 to each person for beer from a keg?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Is it illegal to throw a party and charge $5 to each person for beer from a keg?

Technically, yes. Also, it's stupid to charge girls. Girls get in free. Everyone knows this.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005

yes and no. if you have food there you could just say you were charging them for food, or future cleaning costs of the party. (hasnt this topic been covered before?). but if you are charging per beer with no license and the ATF finds out you will be in federal pound me in the ass prison (not really)

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Then you're charging for the food...and the beer is free. :)
this is true.

or if there are underage people around and you want to charge for booze then you will require a SOP (Special Occasion Permit) from the LCBO here. They are pretty easy to get and aren't that expensive.

Of course responsibility is key now. Laws must be obeyed.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Even with a license, you must purchase alcohol from a vendor in order to resell, because taxes are different. Its illegal for a bar to just go to Costco and load up.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Even with a license, you must purchase alcohol from a vendor in order to resell, because taxes are different. Its illegal for a bar to just go to Costco and load up.

really? because the restaurant i worked at last year did that every week. they would go get 15 dollar bottles of wine and sell them for 40+ dollars.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

really? because the restaurant i worked at last year did that every week. they would go get 15 dollar bottles of wine and sell them for 40+ dollars.

Some of the small "mom & pop" stores around here do this as well. IMO, Costco prices aren't that good, so I can't see there being much profit margin over buying from a distributor, but maybe their volume is small enough that the distributors don't want to bother with them.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

depending on where you live can get in a lot of trouble for that. Chicago is very strict on who can buy or deliver alchohol