re: MC Protector Filters

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
I'm looking for a protector filter for my new Sony A100K and was wondering if quality makes a difference in a simple glass protector filter? Looks like range is between $50 - $200, seems like a big range just for plan glass.

also same question for a Polariser filter - I'm guessing on this one, quality does matter.

thanks

dave

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
If you're buying filters I would seriously check out http://hvstar.net/ . The place used to be called MaxSaver and even though they look sketchy, I assure you that it's not and lots of other photographers can attest to it. Prices are definitely cheaper and they ship directly from Hong Kong.

Quality makes a difference in any glass you get, whether it be filters to teleconverters to lenses.

For a simple clear UV filter Hoya makes some good ones. The Pro1 and SHMC ones are great. They should not be that expensive on MaxSaver.
For a Circular Polarizer (CPL), I would go for ones with brass rings and thin (1mm) glass. The thin glass is to avoid any possible vignetting and the brass rings is to avoid having the filter get stuck on your lens, which is very easy to do with aluminum rings.

I would also get filters in diameters as large as the largest diameter lens you plan to get. So if you have lenses with filter diameters of 55mm, 58mm, and plan to get a lens at 77mm, get one filter at 77mm and then buy cheap step down rings for the 55mm and 58mm lenses. This saves you the cost of buying three separate filters at 55mm, 58mm, and 77mm.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
tradingoo.com is another sketchy looking place that has great prices (ships from hong kong)

i've ordered from them twice with no issues.

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
thanks, good advice! I didn't know the step down ring strategy, sounds good - only thing is that it's ikely some time away before getting another lens (haven't even figured out how to fully use this baby with the stock lens).

So if I got a 77mm and a step down to fit my stock lens, that should be give me a good probobility to fit a future unknow lens size. Actually, my first next lens will likely be a wide angle. My sons is trying to talk me into a fish lens for his skateboard moves - but i'm guessing he can get that effect from photoshop or some software.

thanks

dave

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: dxpaap
thanks, good advice! I didn't know the step down ring strategy, sounds good - only thing is that it's ikely some time away before getting another lens (haven't even figured out how to fully use this baby with the stock lens).

So if I got a 77mm and a step down to fit my stock lens, that should be give me a good probobility to fit a future unknow lens size. Actually, my first next lens will likely be a wide angle. My sons is trying to talk me into a fish lens for his skateboard moves - but i'm guessing he can get that effect from photoshop or some software.

thanks

dave

77mm is the most common thread size for wide angles like a 10-20mm or 12-24mm. Thread sizes really only get bigger when you start talking about large telephotos, which get into the 80mm+ range.

Note though that if you use a 77mm and a step down ring to a smaller size, you no longer have the ability to use the lens' lens hood. You're going to have to use some sort of hood that has a 77mm diameter and screws into the filter. Also, lens cases that used to be just wide enough for (for example) a 62mm or 55mm filter diameter lens will now not be wide enough for the same lenses when the 77mm filter is attached.

I don't think filters will work for fisheyes. Their field of view is simply too wide and their front elements bulge out too much for any kind of filter to fit, much less vignette.

troytime

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2006
just buy the normal size UV filter

the buying large tricks works great if you have several lenses and the filters are 90 bucks

but when the filter is clear and there as a protective layer, 10 bucks is a small price to pay to get rid of the step ring hassle (and keep using your hood, your case, your lens cap, etc)

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I don't recommend the stepdown ring approach personally. I had a 55mm polarizer filter for my Canon S2 that I wanted to use on my Alpha's 18-70. At full wide angle, the corners darken and it just looks bad. I'm assuming the stepdown ring and filter are too deep.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
I don't recommend the stepdown ring approach personally. I had a 55mm polarizer filter for my Canon S2 that I wanted to use on my Alpha's 18-70. At full wide angle, the corners darken and it just looks bad. I'm assuming the stepdown ring and filter are too deep.

I'm confused. Why do you have to use a step down ring for a 55mm polarizing filter when the 18-70mm is already 55mm?

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Originally posted by: AmigaMan

I'm confused. Why do you have to use a step down ring for a 55mm polarizing filter when the 18-70mm is already 55mm?

whoops! Sorry, the filter on the S2 is a 58 which I stepped down to 55. I have the filter adapter from Lensmate.

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
Good sites - the clear glass filters are cheap, no need to mess with adapters (shipping is cost the same as the filter!).

But the adapters definately the way to reuse some of my existing filters, especially the macro and polerizing ones that are $50 or more.

thanks

dave

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
I was wondering between the two which one would be best to use primarily as a permenate protection filter

1. HOYA 55mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF * NEW

2. NEW HOYA PRO1 D Digital 55 55mm UV(0) Filter DMC THIN

The 2nd one filters UV - although the description says this works great in sunny conditions, will this negatively impact indoor shots with lower light.

thanks

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: dxpaap
I was wondering between the two which one would be best to use primarily as a permenate protection filter

1. HOYA 55mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF * NEW

2. NEW HOYA PRO1 D Digital 55 55mm UV(0) Filter DMC THIN

The 2nd one filters UV - although the description says this works great in sunny conditions, will this negatively impact indoor shots with lower light.

thanks

Both will work just fine.

It is my opinion though that you really don't need to have a permanent filter on your lens all the time. Any extra glass you put in front of the lens is going to decrease image quality a little bit. The only time I use filters for protection is when they actually need protection, like when there's seaspray or sand blowing around.