Re-enabling AdBlock. Anandtech ads are unbelievable.

Sivar

Nov 11, 1999
Anandtech has so many Flash ads that it brings my computer to a crawl with 100% CPU usage on a core. This doesn't happen all the time, but for a high-tech website to use an abomination like Flash should be embarrassing, let alone to use it so heavily that the browsing experience on an i7 workstation suffers.

Please drop the Flash. All of it. Yes, I can disable the Flash plugin, but I need it for certain work-related sites.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
I wonder if anyone ever responds to all the ads on sites anyway??

Most ppl do not like spam in thier faces and they wont click it,etc..........

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I never used an adblock until ad networks starting being obnoxious. Annoying animated ads, flash, stuff that pops up or takes over your browser, etc. Then there's the spying BS that goes on. If ad networks were simply an iframe to a php file that randomly generated a static image, I would allow them. Speaking for all sites that use ads, not just AT. It's not the site that's the problem, it's the general nature of ad networks. So yeah, unfortunately for the site mine remains enabled everywhere including here.

WackyWRZ

Mar 8, 2014
Not only are some of the ads annoying especially when they scroll up/down the page - they are a good way to get infected by a drive-by ad. Had that happen at a previous job - someone was browsing a forum (not AT) and inadvertently brought down the file server with Cryptolocker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
Yes thats a big concern now and its sad these ad companies do not care!! (They dont scan the ads they are serving to make sure there are not any voice,etc ads)

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
I actually try very hard in not using adblock. but when video + audio ads came out, I installed at least 2 adblock n script stoppers.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
AFAIK, the ads are run by an ad agency, rather than directly through Anandtech.

Since nobody in the online ad business seem to bear any responsibility in their business practices other than to collect money, whine about adblocking and issuing that sort of worthless "somebody else's problem" politically correct responses, that adblock of mine is staying up.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've found two different computers with a Price(Something) PUP .dll in a temp directory, that I recently reformatted and put Windows 7 64-bit SP1 on.

I'm mildly concerned. I'm using up-to-date software, and the only things I have installed, when I freshly re-install Win7, is, I download:
Waterfox (https://www.waterfoxproject.org/)
Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/ -> redirect to www.malwarebytes.com)
CPU-Z (seached for it, but I always go to the "Official site", cpuid.com)
Crystal Disk Mark (searched for it, but I always go to "Crystal Dew World" - official homepage / site)
And then sometimes, ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com, scroll down to download link in news section, download from the imgburn.com mirror, always deny PUP installation when prompted)

But I'm wondering if I'm getting it from a drive-by JavaScript ad, possibly on this site, because in the same temp directory, there's an osutils.vbs script in another sub-directory, and something looks like it was downloading "payloads" into little sub-dirs.

Edit: I always get the .ZIP standalone version of CPU-Z and CDM, and unzip them manually into my Downloads directory.

This is a VERY recent happening, too, last week pretty-much. Because I was doing a bunch of test installs the last few weeks of Win10 on my 3rd Skylake rig, to test out various SSDs and benchmark them. One of the benchmarks that I do is a Malwarebytes scan, which normally comes up clean, unless I've downloaded ImgBurn, then it finds the "OpenCandy" PUP in the installer, usually. But this is different.

Edit: And I DON'T install Flash Player, or Java.

Edit: The reason that I think that it might be a drive-by ad from this site, is, I've recently stopped installing NoScript, because it seems to break some pages (even with an "allow all"). So I've been seeing ads on this site.

Last edited:

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
StrangerGuy said:
Since nobody in the online ad business seem to bear any responsibility in their business practices other than to collect money, whine about adblocking and issuing that sort of worthless "somebody else's problem" politically correct responses, that adblock of mine is staying up.
I dont think the staff blames ya buddy!!

Jamro

Nov 21, 2016
Re-registered here to add my penny on this. (old login ceased to work for some reason)

I have never had adblock enabled, figured I might as well suffer a bit so the sites I visit get their tiny cut.

But the super annoying and hideous ads on Anandtech (the ones with troll babies and "people are canceling..")
now made me install the adblocker. Too bad, but my blood pressure went up whenever I saw that filth.

Dont know if anything can be done about this, I don't mind proper ads, like from ASUS or Samsung or whatever,
but if there's no controlling the filth, there's nothing to be done and the blocker stays up.

majord

Jul 26, 2015
I've noticed now that take-over pop-up ad's are coming up on articles now.. what the hell? They're bad enough, but every single page of an artcle, and takes for ever to load (so i can close it) .. This is a joke. and the final nail in the coffin for me. re' reading any content from the main page.

For the record, I was trying to read the 7350K review, but forget it.