RE: Conair - Could an airplane do this?

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Like it wasnt even there. EASILY it could do it.

Ok we need to find someone with a plane and a car. Doesn't have to be a Corvette as it would probably get destroyed. A 1986 Ford Taurus with a blown transmission will suffice. They are fairly aerodynamic too. :laugh:

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I'm surprised you're asking such a question, MS Dawn. I thought you knew everything about everything!

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ATLien247
I'm surprised you're asking such a question, MS Dawn. I thought you knew everything about everything!

Hardly but I like to share with others so everyone gets smarter in the end. :)

Sometimes the insane make the most sense on crazy days. ;)

Oh and I hate airplanes. :p

Kelnoen

Sep 20, 2006
Isn't it a converted cargo plane hence the rear loading bay?

these can carry many tons

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

Funny but that's jet blast and we've seen what it does first hand. :Q

Last year I saw people hold on to a chain link fence behind the runway (St Maarten) and their feet left the ground when the plane throttled up! That's a lot of wind. (and noise!)

Obviously the additional drag and weight wouldn't be much of an issue with a large aircraft. I guess the car would fly fairly straight as well being one can sling a coffeepot by its cord and it flies very well when launched tangentially. :laugh:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
A car doesnt weigh that much compared to what a plane can lift.

No but tare weight would not apply.

The plane would have to work much harder towing a car like pictured vs. having it sit in the cargo bay.

This is starting to sound like the conveyor belt. :laugh:

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MS Dawn

Funny but that's jet blast and we've seen what it does first hand. :Q

Last year I saw people hold on to a chain link fence behind the runway (St Maarten) and their feet left the ground when the plane throttled up! That's a lot of wind. (and noise!)

Obviously the additional drag and weight wouldn't be much of an issue with a large aircraft. I guess the car would fly fairly straight as well being one can sling a coffeepot by its cord and it flies very well when launched tangentially. :laugh:

The air speed drops a substantial amount, even at the distances in St. Maarten's airport. You're not getting even half the exhaust gas speed at the fence.
That 747 wouldn't have any problem dragging a small fleet of cars behind it. Given a long enough runway it could probably take off with a few cars behind it. One car and no pasengers or cargo and you could probably see the 747 take off dragging the car from a normal runway (if the car stays together). What you're going to end up having to deal with is the balance being off. The plane is going to want to pull up because of the weight in the rear. It's going to burn lots of extra fuel, but shouldn't have too many problems.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001

The plane would have to work much harder towing a car like pictured vs. having it sit in the cargo bay.

I don't know if you noticed, but in the video they were only using two engines on the 747. With all four at full power, the 747 can get to 30 or 40 miles per hour with the wheels locked...at least until the breaks overheat and set the tires on fire. Don't worry too much, it's designed to take at least 10 minutes of flaming tires w/o exploding (not making this up).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Savij

I don't know if you noticed, but in the video they were only using two engines on the 747. With all four at full power, the 747 can get to 30 or 40 miles per hour with the wheels locked...at least until the breaks overheat and set the tires on fire. Don't worry too much, it's designed to take at least 10 minutes of flaming tires w/o exploding (not making this up).

I believe it. After seeing that plane land in Los Angeles last year with the nose gear cocked to the side and not shearing off I definitely believe that.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
They mentioned tearing up the runway. Does that come from the jet blast itself or the fact the plane is hard braked and standing still?

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
it could do it without a doubt. sure it would slow the plane down as it isn't very aerodynamic. it would be much easier to let the car out once the plane is in the air but i do think that this is possible.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
it could do it without a doubt. sure it would slow the plane down as it isn't very aerodynamic. it would be much easier to let the car out once the plane is in the air but i do think that this is possible.

If the cord was a bungee... :laugh:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
The car would be flapping around like a toy behind the airplane as soon as it left the ground.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
The car would be flapping around like a toy behind the airplane as soon as it left the ground.

I don't think Mr. Bernoulli agrees that the effects of the craft's wake and non laminar flow around the car would produce a force sufficient to alter its course while in flight at that speed but then again - let's test it out! :D