RCMP thwarts plot to bomb B.C. Legislature on Canada Day

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Out of the 50 Muslim nations, everyone keeps pointing to like 2 of them and saying that's how it goes in Muslim nations.
Look up blasphemy laws and you'll get a hit to most of the countries in the middle east.

I fail to see how three american evangelists is equivalent to a nation's constitution mandating no offense against Islam.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rcurrent-of-unrest-in-Middle-East.html?pg=all

2 countries? Try over 50.

997452.jpg

“Blasphemy laws are deeply seeded into the cultures of most of the (Muslim) majorities of these countries. There is a broad view in the Muslim world that if one insults Islam they must be punished by prosecution by the state or mob violence.” - Thomas Farr

Political scientists, human rights advocates and diplomats agree a primary cause of those tensions is the abuse of blasphemy laws in many Muslim-majority countries. The statutes, which are theoretically designed to protect sacred religious symbols and beliefs, are vague and often used to silence political dissent, solidify power and discriminate against minorities.
Muslims and the countries where their faith is dominant will have to go through the same evolution if they want democracy
Pakistan in particular where people have been murdered for speaking out against the state's blasphemy statutes.

Shame on people who have the luxury of living in a society with free speech and who are unwilling to speak against this kind of barbaric custom. Shame on you for not speaking out against a religion that condones violence against non-believers.

Last edited:

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
It's alright Earl, sense is apparently an undesirable antagonist in this discussion. A par-de-course for this P&N forum.

He and others keep diverting away from the topic at hand in order to use this thread's terrorist incident as a vehicle to troll forward their hateful agenda against the "cancer" that are Muslims. Hate speech has a home here.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
You narrowed your list down to blasphemy laws and went on that?
Lot's of countries have blasphemy laws
Canada has blasphemy laws..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law
Try again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemous_libel
Because blasphemy appears to be an obsolete crime in Canada
It's alright Earl, sense is apparently an undesirable antagonist in this discussion. A par-de-course for this P&N forum.

He and others keep diverting away from the topic at hand in order to use this thread's terrorist incident as a vehicle to troll forward their hateful agenda against the "cancer" that are Muslims. Hate speech has a home here.
Your puerile "quips" don't further the point you think they do when you write them. I'd ask you to keep at it for lols but I know you need no encouragement. I hope you treat the women in your life better than the Islamic societies you so doggedly defend.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Try again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemous_libel
Because blasphemy appears to be an obsolete crime in Canada

Come here, and try walking around with a sign that cuts down a religion.
You will end up in jail.
That's blasphemy law covered under hate speech laws

edit- oh I see you already knew that because you cut the quote right after the obsolete part. :/ , you just wanted to be dishonest

Last edited:

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Islamic societies you so doggedly defend.
Quote me, troll, or shut-up. You are a lying troll out to derail the topic of this thread.

Obviously this topic of the terrorist events in my city are of no reasonable concern for discussion to you, and you are only present to espouse a bigoted agenda against Muslims ('cancer on society'). A hate-filled trolling soul such as yourself may not twist and lie that my denunciation of the recorded bigotry equates to my tolerance and defence of crimes against civil rights and more general law elsewhere. I stand by my posting record at this forum. You will fabricate with an inability to support your personally vexing charges. I have directly quoted you to correctly damn your positions. When caught, trolls deflect with deceit.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Come here, and try walking around with a sign that cuts down a religion.
You will end up in jail.
That's blasphemy law covered under hate speech laws

edit- oh I see you already knew that because you cut the quote right after the obsolete part. :/ , you just wanted to be dishonest
Dishonest you say but seem to be intimating that Canada has blasphemy laws similar to the middle east? I am not quite so stupid as to believe that. We both know it is not so, and to even try and compare any Western nation's speech laws with those of a country that jails a person for blaspheming Islam is the ultimate dishonesty.

Whiskey you did not start this thread nor were you made its police officer, and multiple people in this thread have spoken about Islam, so drop the act, it is tired and sad. You are a spineless little man, eager to call others a bigot and condemn my words as "hate speech" (you are quite familiar with the glossary in your grade 11 social studies course, aren't you?) because I dare speak against a belief system that treats women as secondary human beings, that not only condones but encourages violence against non believers and that wouldn't even allow us to have this conversation.

The point, dear, is that even if the two in this thread had no relation to Islam at all, Islam is still disproportionately represented in lives lost to terrorists in the West. Now is the part where you either agree, like a good subservient puppy I know you were born to be, or you argue and yet do so without stats because they won't support your incorrect view.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Dishonest you say but seem to be intimating that Canada has blasphemy laws similar to the middle east?

No..you implied/thought? that all Muslims nations with blasphemy laws do it like Saudi Arabia
That is very misleading or just ignorant

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
[/B]Now is the part where you either agree, like a good subservient puppy I know you were born to be, or you argue and yet do so without stats because they won't support your incorrect view.

Your ability to see into Whiskeys mind is astounding
But like Moonie would say, I'm pretty sure your just seeing what your mind is doing

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Your ability to see into Whiskeys mind is astounding
But like Moonie would say, I'm pretty sure your just seeing what your mind is doing
Ironic.

---

Here is a more thorough missive on the matter, echoing my thoughts:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/found...going-to-finally-get-it-this-time-about-islam

Liberals, seemingly by rote, attack anyone who mentions facts connecting Islam and violence as an "Islamophobe.
A 2006 Pew survey asked adult Muslims under age 30 how often suicide bombing could be justified to “defend Islam.”

Of that category 26% answered either sometimes or rarely in the United States, 29% in Spain, 35% in Britain, and 42% in France.
If we leave those two largest attacks aside, we still face the reality that there were over forty documented successful or attempted terror attacks in the United States with an Islamic radicalist motivation since 1990.

It is simply recognizing reality to acknowledge that no other self-identified religiously-affiliated terror effort has a similar record.
a mob mentality within a significant portion of Islam (e.g. it’s acceptable to kill the apostate, impose Sharia on others, suicide bomb in some cases, treat women in a deeply sexist and often dangerous manner).

As I said, a cancer. To defend it is to condone it. Unlike a few here I will not condone a belief system that calls for violence on those who choose to believe something else and who see no issues with letting their wives go out alone and get a driving license. It requires an ignorance of Islam or a highly developed misogyny to defend it as some do.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Roger..I'm on it..eh

7973142.jpg

I would have to agree with the Israeli Colonel, most terrorism against Islam is done by Muslims.

Although I would have to ponder your assertion that would cover like North America also?
Can you show me stats from our intel communities or such that Islamic terrorists are the biggest threat over here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

I'm pretty sure I have read otherwise, but I'd like to see your info

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

It's funny, because from that very wikipedia link:

Islamic extremism

This list, starting in 1977, is the most extensive. Refer to the following link for this list.
See also: Islamic extremism in the United States#attacks or failed attacks by date

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Ironic.

---

Here is a more thorough missive on the matter, echoing my thoughts:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/found...going-to-finally-get-it-this-time-about-islam

As I said, a cancer. To defend it is to condone it. Unlike a few here I will not condone a belief system that calls for violence on those who choose to believe something else and who see no issues with letting their wives go out alone and get a driving license. It requires an ignorance of Islam or a highly developed misogyny to defend it as some do.

Right off the bat, the first thing a person has to accept is that Liberals all act with some kind of a hive mind.
It should be easy to take over the world and rid it of the radical right wing cancer that plagues us.
No more Radical Muslims, Christians or Jews, dictators, etc.
Basically all the evil in the world
But of course that's insane, out there in the real world, your going to find a lot of liberals with all the same fears you have

Man them stats changed a lot in a year

A 2007 Pew poll reported that 15% of American Muslims under the age of 30 supported suicide bombings against civilian targets in at least some circumstances, on the other hand 11% said it could be "rarely justified." Among those over the age of 30, just 6% expressed their support for the same. (9% of Muslims over 30 and 5% under 30 chose not to answer).

According to that drop, statistically that number should be getting to close to 0 now. Right?

But on the other hand, I see a poll that suggests more American Muslims are becoming radical.
In Egypt, the Coptic Christians are complaining their youth are becoming radical.
I wonder if being under attack all the time from American right wingers and Egyptian right wingers tends to radicalize people?

I know a lot of Muslims, none of them believe what you say they believe.
I know a lot of Christians who's wives all believe they should stay home and do woman's work just like the Muslims wives. As much as you think they should do want you think they should, I think they have the right to decide for themselves.

Right wingers...always trying to push their crap..
;)

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I know a lot of Muslims, none of them believe what you say they believe.
I know a lot of Christians who's wives all believe they should stay home and do woman's work just like the Muslims wives. As much as you think they should do want you think they should, I think they have the right to decide for themselves.
As I said in the other thread, you tend toward too many anecdotes. You also are of the failed notion that you know what others believe. You don't know what a person believes other than by their words or actions. I don't know the entire beliefs of anybody in the world, and neither do you, except your own.

You are very big on straw men. I am the one who believes women should have a choice; you're the one defending a belief system that is highly correlated with just the opposite. I wonder how you became so opposed to women's rights living in a Western nation, or prize their freedom so little that you won't speak out against those who are happy to restrict their freedom.

If the stats are changing, that's good. It shows that a cultural chemotherapy is inoculating some Muslims away from their book and assimilating with beliefs more compatible with successful nations and cultures. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I am the one who believes women should have a choice; you're the one defending a belief system that is highly correlated with just the opposite. I wonder how you became so opposed to women's rights living in a Western nation, or prize their freedom so little that you won't speak out against those who are happy to restrict their freedom.

When the day comes that women decide for themselves that they don't want to follow a religion, our great great great great great grandchildren can continue this discussion for us

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
When the day comes that women decide for themselves that they don't want to follow a religion, our great great great great great grandchildren can continue this discussion for us
Thank you for bringing us back to blasphemy laws; in many Muslim nations it's not a choice they have.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Thank you for bringing us back to blasphemy laws; in many Muslim nations it's not a choice they have.

edit- I was still doing the misogyny thing

Yes some Muslim countries still have kings ruling them, without US support I suppose that could start to die off

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You don't find it hard to point fingers at other countries when so much crap is happening in your own?
Do you suppose Muslims in even the worst of states, point at the US and say *look at how they treat their children, that's barbaric*

TIL There are 2270 children serving life without parole in US, in the rest of the world combined the number is 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7mno6p9iQ

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
You don't find it hard to point fingers at other countries when so much crap is happening in your own?
Do you suppose Muslims in even the worst of states, point at the US and say *look at how they treat their children, that's barbaric*

TIL There are 2270 children serving life without parole in US, in the rest of the world combined the number is 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR7mno6p9iQ

Lol, 12? In the entire rest of the world? Wow, you certainly do love meaningless (and definitely false) statistics. By all means! Let's compare the state of children in the US to children in Afghanistan. Or how about Somalia? Hell let's not even define children!

If you're going to troll, at least come up with better bullshit. There's literally not a single person with an IQ above 70 who would take what you just posted seriously. Well, come to think of it maybe there are

:cool:

twelve.

2740760-1735968_csi_miami_yeah_super.jpg

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
If you're going to troll, at least come up with better bullshit. There's literally not a single person with an IQ above 70 who would take what you just posted seriously. Well, come to think of it maybe there are

Can't get numbers from countries that have none.
We know for a fact that the US number is correct.

So if you can dismiss that by saying Somalian children have a harder life then American and feel good about it
Your still better then Somalia...
congrats
Be proud

Oh and can you show my other examples of meaningless stats? No, but just typing that probably makes you feel good too

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Can't get numbers from countries that have none.
We know for a fact that the US number is correct.

So if you can dismiss that by saying Somalian children have a harder life then American and feel good about it
Your still better then Somalia...
congrats
Be proud

Oh and can you show my other examples of meaningless stats? No, but just typing that probably makes you feel good too

Lol, now you try to pass the buck?

You're the one who compared the state of US "children" (which has multiple definitions depending on which country we're talking about) to the rest of the "children" in "the world", explicitly and directly.

You trumpeted a direct comparison of a vague term to an even vaguer term. Lol.

Hell I helped you out. I assumed you were comparing our children to children in Islamic countries (Somalia, Afghanistan, etc). Of course, that makes the mistake of assuming you intended to stay on-topic.

In any case, yeah no justice system is perfect, but a lot of these "children" that have been tried as adults are guilty of things like murder, arson, etc. Here's one of said "children" to balance out the annecdote in the video you posted. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Boyd_Malvo) Obviously we're absolute barbarians for imprisoning such people. I wonder what his sentence would be in a Muslim country?

Anywhere but an open internet forum you'd be laughed out of a debate. Hell the crap you just posted probably wouldn't even make the cut for Discussion Club. And I have better things to do than dig through a troll's bullshit at the troll's request.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011