RCMP thwarts plot to bomb B.C. Legislature on Canada Day

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 25, 2011
An Israeli Colonel put it quite nicely: "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are Muslim."

Statistically speaking, bombers or would-be bombers, especially in the West, are more likely to be Muslims than any other faith. A smart person might ask why that is instead of saying "oh, they're just isolated incidents. Nothing to worry about."

Statistically speaking that claim would be incorrect, especially within the United States. Can you cite something other than your belief that this is the case?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
There's only one faith that kills you, or wants to kill you, if you draw a bad cartoon of the prophet. There's only one faith that kills you, or wants to kill you, if you renounce the faith..... Bill Maher

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Paging Original Earl.. Original Earl on line 3 plz.

Earl: *click* sup, this is Earl. What is this aboot? eh?
Whiskey: We have another terrorism incident! This time in Canada, holy shit! But it is was foiled, eh! Anyway, we need you to post some more of those pictures showing smiling muslim children in refugee camps in P&N, stat! eh?
Earl: Shit, don't tell me muslims again. I am tired of being the front line apologist. eh?
Whiskey: (silence...) eh.
Earl: I'm on it, eh.
Whiskey: eh. *click*

Roger..I'm on it..eh

7973142.jpg

An Israeli Colonel put it quite nicely: "Not all Muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists are Muslim."

Statistically speaking, bombers or would-be bombers, especially in the West, are more likely to be Muslims than any other faith. A smart person might ask why that is instead of saying "oh, they're just isolated incidents. Nothing to worry about."

I would have to agree with the Israeli Colonel, most terrorism against Islam is done by Muslims.

Although I would have to ponder your assertion that would cover like North America also?
Can you show me stats from our intel communities or such that Islamic terrorists are the biggest threat over here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States

I'm pretty sure I have read otherwise, but I'd like to see your info

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
There's only one faith that kills you, or wants to kill you, if you draw a bad cartoon of the prophet. There's only one faith that kills you, or wants to kill you, if you renounce the faith..... Bill Maher

There's only one faith that would kill you or bomb you if you go to an abortion clinic

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We'd all feel more comfortable if Islam had their version of a Pope to officially condemn violent acts, using the basis of religion for their stand with us against violence.

Instead all we really broadcast is the Islamic Terrorist view. Is it any wonder they find inspiration from other terrorists? We ourselves help put up a public image that terrorists are their role models. That image needs to be broken.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
We'd all feel more comfortable if Islam had their version of a Pope to officially condemn violent acts, using the basis of religion for their stand with us against violence.

That's as likely to happen as Christians getting together and electing a Pope

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Thank you so very much RCMP for doing such a great job. Obviously our surveillance systems are working. Those bastards could have killed many many people and I hope they will rot in jail for the rest of their miserable lives.

How do you know that these arrests are a result of use of a surveillance system? From what I understand the plot was foiled after a tipster called it in. The other major plot (the Toronto 18) was also the result of a tip. I actually don't know of a single case in which electronic eavesdropping was the deciding factor.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Lots of troubling details in the article that are being glossed over for "Rah Rah Canada." We might need to stop waving the flag and worshiping the Queen here.

Tip from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service? Not exactly a very respected organization.
Monitoring them for 5 months and then a convenient arrest on Canada Day? Almost like it's a PR move for the populace to accept the government's controls.
Devices completely in control of the RCMP?
One of the suspects has a history of drug use? Seems like an easy target for the government to take advantage of.

Last edited:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Lots of troubling details in the article that are being glossed over for "Rah Rah Canada." We might need to stop waving the flag and worshiping the Queen here.

Tip from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service? Not exactly a very respected organization.
Monitoring them for 5 months and then a convenient arrest on Canada Day? Almost like it's a PR move for the populace to accept the government's controls.
Devices completely in control of the RCMP?
One of the suspects has a history of drug use? Seems like an easy target for the government to take advantage of.

WTF man, you take every chance you can to shit on Canada. It's getting old.

CSIS doesn't have many tv shows about it, so it's not popular, but why would you say it's not respected? They caught these two and they caught the Toronto 18. That's a pretty good recent track record.

They caught them on Canada Day because that's when the people decided to plant the bomb. Geez.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Oh, also, I just saw on the news that neighbours said the two converted to Islam a year ago.

Now, whether they were normal people who turned to Islam and then Islam made them terrorists (not likely) or they were douchenozzles who would have probably blown some shit up anyways and turned to Islam because it fit their notion of being terrorists (more likely), we don't know.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
There's only one faith that would kill you or bomb you if you go to an abortion clinic

Been to, seen, and have friends that have used Planned parenthood services, none of them had any type of irrational fear or felt threatened going there despite media hype of very few bombings,

now Salmun Rushdie wrote a book called The Satanic Verses and not only did he have to go into hiding but major airlines wouldn't allow him to fly on their planes and this was long before Al Quada, September 11, cartoon riots.

Rushdie has never been physically harmed for the book, but others associated with it have suffered violent attacks. Hitoshi Igarashi, its Japanese translator, was stabbed to death on 11 July 1991. Ettore Capriolo, the Italian translator, was seriously injured in a stabbing in Milan on 3 July 1991.[14] William Nygaard, the publisher in Norway, was shot three times in an attempted assassination in Oslo in October 1993, but survived. Aziz Nesin, the Turkish translator, was the intended target in the events that led to the Sivas massacre on 2 July 1993 in Sivas, Turkey, which resulted in the deaths of 37 people.[15] Individual purchasers of the book have not been harmed. The only nation with a predominantly Muslim population where the novel remains legal is Turkey.[citation needed]
In September 2012, Rushdie expressed doubt that The Satanic Verses would be published today because of a climate of "fear and nervousness".[16]
And that violence is over a fictional book.

In sharp contrast to the "most hated woman in America" who in a much more conservative time didn't have to go into hiding or fear every christian about to do her in for having bible reading banned in public schools.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair (April 13, 1919 – September 29, 1995)[1] was an American atheist activist. She was the founder of the organization American Atheists and served as its president from 1963 to 1986. One of her sons, Jon Garth Murray, was the president of the organization from 1986 to 1995, while she remained de facto president during these nine years. She is best known for the Murray v. Curlett lawsuit, which led to a landmark Supreme Court ruling ending official Bible-reading in American public schools in 1963. This came one year after the Supreme Court prohibited officially sponsored prayer in schools in Engel v. Vitale. O'Hair later founded American Atheists and became so controversial that in 1964 Life magazine referred to her as "the most hated woman in America".[2][3]
In 1995 she was kidnapped, murdered, and her body mutilated, along with her son Jon Murray and granddaughter Robin Murray O'Hair, by former American Atheist office manager David Roland Waters.
This picture sums up the current hypocritical apologetic fearful nature of those who claim to be liberals.

koran_bible_toilet%25255B5%25255D.jpg

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Been to, seen, and have friends that have used Planned parenthood services, none of them had any type of irrational fear or felt threatened going there despite media hype of very few bombings,

I really was just responding to the obvious statement by Bill that only Muslims get upset when their prophet is drawn.
No other faiths get upset with that
I'm glad your friends never have experienced anything bad from their visits, they were lucky to have access at least. Lot's of people seem to want to get rid of Planned parenthood

now Salmun Rushdie wrote a book called The Satanic Verses and not only did he have to go into hiding but major airlines wouldn't allow him to fly on their planes and this was long before Al Quada, September 11, cartoon riots.

And that violence is over a fictional book.

In sharp contrast to the "most hated woman in America" who in a much more conservative time didn't have to go into hiding or fear every christian about to do her in for having bible reading banned in public schools.

Did all followers of Islam follow what fatwa's Ayatollah Khomeini issued?

This picture sums up the current hypocritical apologetic fearful nature of those who claim to be liberals.

koran_bible_toilet%25255B5%25255D.jpg

I'm pretty sure the majority of posters here that are fearful of Islam are Right wingers, not liberals.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Another devolution into a generalised Muslim bashing thread.

No surprises, considering this too commonly expressed bigotry at AnandTech.

Thankfully, this thread's topic occurred in a more rational and balanced society where rampant prejudice and ignorance are outliers. Before the terrorism of 11 September 2011, the previous excess of North American terrorism were the 1985 Air India bombings perpetuated by a sub-sect of militant extremists within British Columbia's Sikh population. Sikhism was not vilified -- just the perpetrators and radicalised groups within certain temples. Other contemporary bombing have been directed at pipelines, again nothing to do with Islam.

This year's thwarted Via rail plot in Ontario & Quebec was deterred due to the concerns of that regions Muslims community from the hints from a small and radicalised element. Yet the bigots in this thread are detached from reality and a disruptive danger to us all, as they wish to marginalise and vilify all Muslims as a dangerous and insurgent threat. To demonise and discredit a general population, and thereby inciting disrupting hatred that only ever returns escalating crimes, as can be a pinnacle of infamy by Anders Breivik in the cause of a battle against Islam and those who may express tolerant respect for it and its people.

This time around, the attempted bombing at Canada day celebrations here in my home of Victoria, were allegedly planned and orchestrated by a pair of apparently dissolutioned welfare recipients who only turned to Islam a year ago. No presented affiliation of any militant wings in local Mosques, and the current police presentations are that their inspirational motivations and techniques for terror came from internet literature. Muslims as enemies? These two were kicked out of Mosque:

"He used to go to the mosque and he got kicked out of the mosque. Why I don't know, but that was when he really, really got into the religion.… I think a lot of it had to do they were too much into their religion, way too much into their religion."

Under surveillance

That was roughly the same time that CSIS and the RCMP put the couple under surveillance, police said on Tuesday.
The regularly bigoted expressed by Doppel and others are of Islam being the threat. So easily discounted with the above citations of Muslims ostracising the radicals and reporting likely criminals to the police. That reality is a discomforting inconvenience from the hatefully and absolutely bigoted lot here.

A ripe irony is of members here who are so quick to ignore and dismiss how this forum so regularly presents hatred for Muslims in a characterture of them being a threat but those prejudicial posts on the internet enabling and encouraging an environment at this forum that has recorded death threats to 'Muslim sympathisers,' their families, and through to the death of all Muslims.

Regardless of religion, you internet bigots and extremist are the problem and a retardation to a solution, a solution of which has been helped and brought forward into practice by the very Muslims you vilify.

I have presented reality to counter the extremist and ignorantly prejudicial bigotry that retains a home here.

Last edited:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
WTF man, you take every chance you can to shit on Canada. It's getting old.

Someone has to go against the horde here in P&N. It would be nice if there were Canadians here who were not super patriotic. There are serious questions in this case and I'm going to take the burden to try to make Canada a better place and question its government in a variety of matters.

CSIS doesn't have many tv shows about it, so it's not popular, but why would you say it's not respected? They caught these two and they caught the Toronto 18. That's a pretty good recent track record.

They caught them on Canada Day because that's when the people decided to plant the bomb. Geez.

It seems like they were under control and/or watch under the security apparatus the entire time. They "caught" them well before they decided to plant the bomb, and the decision to plant the bomb on Canada Day was likely made well in advance. The arrests and backgrounds of the suspects is very interesting.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
It seems like they were under control and/or watch under the security apparatus the entire time. They "caught" them well before they decided to plant the bomb, and the decision to plant the bomb on Canada Day was likely made well in advance. The arrests and backgrounds of the suspects is very interesting.
Your conspiracy angle for the timing of arrests is silly nonsense.

What is not silly is questioning what part investigators' may have had in guiding/entrapping this radicalised and terrorising couple into a fairly elaborate extreme, and ultimately with the placement of inert bombs.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Typical whiskey drinking reaction. A couple of Muslims plan a terrorist attack to kill innocent people and he's pissed because people actually blame Muslims for planning a terrorist attack to kill innocent people.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I really was just responding to the obvious statement by Bill that only Muslims get upset when their prophet is drawn.
No other faiths get upset with that
Most proponents of religion will get upset, but to try and even so much as hint that there is not a major difference in insulting the prophet is patently absurd and offensive. It's literally illegal to do in many nations and can and has resulted in regular violence.

Whiskey16's rant fails to point out the obvious conclusion to me which is that in many cases a terrorist act is stopped by self-policing of Islamist communities. This is clearly not possible without the potential terrorist being part of the Islamic community. In other words, how many synagogues are reporting to the FBI that their members are about to orchestrate a bombing?
they wish to marginalise and vilify all Muslims as a dangerous and insurgent threat.
More strawmen. I said no such thing. I said Islam is a cancer, not that most Muslims are prone to violence. I base this upon the uniform failings of countries based on their correlation of being a failed state with adherence to Islam. Heavily Islamic countries have barbaric laws and brutal systems of "justice". We couldn't even legally have this conversation in many of them.

There is nothing so despicable as a person who has been given a great gift (e.g. health, wealth, living in the West) and yet is unwilling to praise it over inferior and backward cultures. This degree of cultural relativism shows a spinelessness that inevitably leads to rolling over instead of standing up for their own customs.

I won't apologize for lauding the culture I live in. I live here because I prize it. To pretend that I don't consider it superior to others is to sully it.

If I wanted to bring my kids to crane-hangings day I'd move to Saudi arabia.

If I wanted to live in a country where non-Muslims cannot hold office I'd move to Yemen.

If I wanted to get sentenced to years in prison for insulting the koran in a song I'd move to Iran.

What sort of weak nihilist can sit in the West and defend the customs of a multitude of Islamist nations that regularly arrest for blasphemy?

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
This is clearly not possible without the potential terrorist being part of the Islamic community.
In dishonest convenience, you ignore and dismiss my local examples of other terrorists bombing that had no element of Islam.
What sort of weak nihilist can sit in the West and defend the customs of a multitude of Islamist nations that regularly arrest for blasphemy?

There is nothing so despicable as a person who has been given a great gift (e.g. health, wealth, living in the West) and yet is unwilling to praise it over inferior and backward cultures.
You lying and bigoted shill:

I said Islam is a cancer, not that most Muslims are prone to violence.

I am consistently presenting on this forum to argue for the human and civil rights of people.

Quote or shut up. All you have is generalised and prejudicial bigoted ideology.

When faced with the validated charges of bigotry, often lies are perpetuated to attempt a lame and twisted personal discretization against the one supporting the charges.

The clear dishonesty by those such as yourself are evident when fabrications are brought forward to misrepresent with lying and ad hominem bullshit. Yet more evidence of the moral depravity commonly exhibited in the P&N.

In my previous post I honestly and rationally put this latest terrorist attempt into perspective The bigots here, true to form, ignore reality to misrepresent and lie to further their prejudicial aims to marginalise and incite hatred upon all Muslims. An all too common mantra in the stormfront mirroring AnandTech P&N.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I'll make it simple:

Neither you, nor I, nor really anybody was surprised upon reading more about this failed bomb plot involving pressure cooker bombs to find out that the suspects were involved in Islam.

It almost seems that you're arguing that an Islamist is no more likely than a non-Islamist to be involved in terrorism, but I know you can't possibly be saying that.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Typical whiskey drinking reaction. A couple of Muslims plan a terrorist attack to kill innocent people and he's pissed because people actually blame Muslims for planning a terrorist attack to kill innocent people.

Because it's really stupid to blame all Muslims for something a couple did
I just seen another Catholic Priest got caught with his pants down, I don't think the Catholic's here support that.
American cops are in the news everyday, do we blame all cops for their deeds, or do we blame all Americans?
Who should we label the cancer?

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
How Canada Day terror suspect ‘with little sense of morals’ went from talented punk guitarist to alleged jihadist

Neither you, nor I, nor really anybody was surprised upon reading more about this failed bomb plot involving pressure cooker bombs to find out that the suspects were involved in Islam.

Long before he allegedly picked Victoria to be the target of an al-Qaeda-inspired mass murder, residents of the B.C. capital had known John Nuttall as everything from a talented punk guitarist to a homeless heroin addict to an unstable and violent criminal.

“He was a combustible human being with little sense of morals or repercussions,” Victoria artist Jesse Ladret, who once lived in the same apartment complex as Mr. Nuttall and knew him through friends, told the Post by email on Wednesday.

“I don’t think Mr. Nuttall had the capability to type the word manifesto never mind create or follow one. He was just a bad guy.”’

During the same period, Mr. Nuttall also racked up a record of violent offences. In 1996, he was handed an 18-month sentence for beating a man so severely he had to have his kidney removed.

Mr. Ladret said Mr. Nuttall was behind another beating that left his friend, poet and author Lawrence Braithwaite, suffering from brain damage.
“I believe this was motivated by the fact that Lawrence was both black and homosexual,” Mr. Ladret told the Post, saying that Mr. Nuttall had dabbled in neo-Nazism.

“In a few instances, John and his friends would roam the streets looking for street kids, drug addicts and other types of people to attack for their own entertainment.”

In 2003, Mr. Nuttall was sent back to jail after smashing a random pedestrian in the head with a rock in order to steal his briefcase, which he later claimed he had done while hallucinating from cocaine use.
Islam as the source for this man's violence is not found. Doppel, again reality discrediting your's and others' supremacist bigotry.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I'll make it simple:

It almost seems that you're arguing that an Islamist is no more likely than a non-Islamist to be involved in terrorism, but I know you can't possibly be saying that.

They were crazy losers before they turned to Islam. Their place was a mess and had been for years, and they had methadone bottles everywhere. The dude got kicked out of a heavy metal band because he drank too much.

The two then turned to Islam, but were kicked out of their Mosque. It was at that point that they became turbo crazy. Islam is not the cause of anything here. These people were nuts before, and just wrapped themselves in Islam because they wanted to belong to some group they viewed as being terrorists.

Why aren't you ripping on alcoholics, methadone users, metalheads, or people from Surrey (enough people in BC already rip on Surrey people :) ).

<-- also from Surrey. I grew up ~11 blocks from where those people lived.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Islam as the source for this man's violence is not found. Doppel, again reality discrediting your's and others' supremacist bigotry.
Didn't you condemn me above for ad hominem? BTW calling me a supremacist as far as Islam is concerned is not an insult, more like an accolade.

What was this guy's motivation? Are we to believe his converting to Islam played no part at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#Right-wing_terrorism

Notice how many are Islamist extremists? Now is the part where you go find out what percentage of Americans are Muslims and you find out they are wildly over represented in terrorist acts.

It may be that Islam truly played no part in this event.

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Didn't you condemn me above for ad hominem? BTW calling me a supremacist as far as Islam is concerned is not an insult, more like an accolade.

What was this guy's motivation? Are we to believe his converting to Islam played no part at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism_in_the_United_States#Right-wing_terrorism

Notice how many are Islamist extremists? Now is the part where you go find out what percentage of Americans are Muslims and you find out they are wildly over represented in terrorist acts.

It may be that Islam truly played no part in this event.

Man.. according to that list, Americans really love their terrorism
Such a violent people...