RC people.. any of you have a Traxxas 4-Tec?

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
I got the Traxxas 4-Tec. What I really like about it is the handling and the speed. But the clearance from gound to the bottom of the car is MAYBE 1/4 of an inch, because it is an on-road car. So I was looking it over and seen how I could raise the ride height. So now, it stands about an inch off the ground. Now I just need some nobby rally tires and I can take it in the dirt. :D

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Wow, thats nice. I wanna try off-road but my on-road already cost too much money, so I'll stick to on-road.

On another note, I smoked my co-worker's Radioshack RC car today. She talked a lot of trash, but it was worth it in the end.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Wow, thats nice. I wanna try off-road but my on-road already cost too much money, so I'll stick to on-road.

On another note, I smoked my co-worker's Radioshack RC car today. She talked a lot of trash, but it was worth it in the end.

What kind of R/C car do you have?

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003

Well.. originally the 4-Tec is on road only. But I modified it so it has more clearance. I just need rally tires to get the true off-road effect. Street treads don't cut it.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: fermium

Well.. originally the 4-Tec is on road only. But I modified it so it has more clearance. I just need rally tires to get the true off-road effect. Street treads don't cut it.

HPI sells some

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

What kind of R/C car do you have?

Damn you for not remembering my replies in your RC thread. :)

I have two kits, the Tamiya TAO4 kit (ferrari 360 body), and the TB01 (ferrari enzo body)kit. Can't find a link on the TAO4 kit right now because tamiyausa seems to be down.

The TAO4 was my first and I use the TB01 as my main right now. It has a 12 turn motor and speed control and some minorly upgraded suspension, with tamiya radials. I think the gearing on the tb01 is a 54/14 right now.

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
You goofy bastids' and your electric RC's. GO NITRO! If I can get my cop friend over sometime this week, i'll get him to clock my speed and take a pic of the speed. The fastest I got it to go, on my short street was 56MPH.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You goofy bastids' and your electric RC's. GO NITRO! If I can get my cop friend over sometime this week, i'll get him to clock my speed and take a pic of the speed. The fastest I got it to go, on my short street was 56MPH.

Loud and messy. No thanks :p

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I've got an electric Traxxas 4-Tec.

Topless and as a Vauxhall Calibre

Need to get myself another couple of 7.2V battery packs and a decent charger.

I've not used it in a good couple of years :(

Confused

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: NFS4

Loud and messy. No thanks :p

Exactly. Plus, I can't tune my car indoors late at night, or my gf will kill me while she sleepin.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Aww, c'mon. Noone's got love for nitro? :(

My next RC car will be nitro. :)

I think half the reason i don't use mine at the moment is due to lack of batteries...and getting pissed at the batteries dying after a little while :(

Confused

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
mmmmmm nitromethane :)

I have an HPI Nitro MT, almost stock but I can rip on stock 24.7 T-Maxxs. Love it to death, but a big jump gone wrong put it out of commission untill i can come up with $60 something

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Confused

I think half the reason i don't use mine at the moment is due to lack of batteries...and getting pissed at the batteries dying after a little while :(

Confused

That's why I HATE electric. You gotta have like 20 fully charged batteries to get a decent run/bashing in. With nitro, re-fuel and go. That, and the gas is dirt cheap too. About 10 bucks for a 1.5 gallon of 20%.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Confused

That's why I HATE electric. You gotta have like 20 fully charged batteries to get a decent run/bashing in. With nitro, re-fuel and go. That, and the gas is dirt cheap too. About 10 bucks for a 1.5 gallon of 20%.

My 3000mah nimh's give me plenty of run time. 10-20 minutes depending how I push it. That, and 3300's they sell now will add some time to that.

2 batters will get you running for a long time, with just swapping between car and charger. I have a dual Durtrax charger so with 3, I always have charge. :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
RC Cars

Left: Alfa 156 on a Tamiya TA03F
Middle: NSX on a Traxxas Nitro-4Tec
Right: Ram on a Tamiya TA02

Also in the garage: Tyco Fast Traxxs, Tyco Typhoon, Tamiya Wild Willy (original)

Sorry for the crappy pic quality. This pic is probably 5 years old.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
I used to have a Nitro 4-Tec, all souped up too. Had the carbon fibre chassis installed for racing, had performance exhaust, everything. Then one day while I was driving it, I went to hit the brakes coming down my block at 50 some odd mph, and the brake linkage snapped. So here I am, coming down my block with no brakes. Because of the speed, you can't just turn the steering wheel, and have it do something like a U-turn to stop. Even letting off on the throttle didn't slow it down too much because it was still dieseling and those engines got massive momentum. So I ended up turning it up someones driveway entrance, and it smacked into a retaining wall. Needless to say, the only parts not screwed up were the carbon fibre chassis. Everything else was mangled pieces of aluminum, plastic, and a no longer functioning engine. Fun times.

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003

Confused

My 3000mah nimh's give me plenty of run time. 10-20 minutes depending how I push it. That, and 3300's they sell now will add some time to that.

2 batters will get you running for a long time, with just swapping between car and charger. I have a dual Durtrax charger so with 3, I always have charge. :)

On a full tank of gas I can run it hard for 45 min. :p