Razer Turret for HTPC use

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Since buying a new home I've decided to turn my main PC into a HTPC. It will still remain a gaming PC first. The problem I've had was retaining keyboard and mouse control. Decided to try out the Razer Turret.

GPd2IqL.jpg

S2TyndH.jpg

TRhvlmW.jpg

I really didn't know if I would like it after first trying it out. It takes some getting use to. Especially so since I've only used a keyboard and mouse from a desk. It has been about a week and 1/2 since using it and I have gotten much better at it. How I place it on my lap and how I hold the mouse and type on the keyboard took some getting use to.

I actually like the compact nature of the Razer Turret compared to the Rocat Sova and the Corsair Lapdog. Both of those are also wired. The Razer Turret is completely wireless. I did have problems with wireless interference with the dongle plugged directly into my PC. I used the included extender and placed it on the opposite side of the entertainment stand which eliminated all interference. Most reviews ding the Turret by stating the input lag is 8ms. This is only true when using the default polling rate of 125Hz. The Razer Turret can be adjusted to 2ms by setting the polling rate to 500Hz using the Razer Synapse utility. You don't have to run the Synapse utility all the time to get the 500Hz either. After setting it you can close the utility and the polling rate stays. Another thing reviewers get wrong is by stating the keyboard as being only membrane. The chiclet style keys are actually scissor switch keys. The keyboard battery can run up to 4 months between charging. Personally, I would take a reduction of that for some back-light illumination.

I wasn't sure I'd keep the Razer Turret after first using, but after more than I week, I think I will.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The charging dock is very nice. The magnetic mouse pad folds under the keyboard when placed in the dock.

n6DAQ01.jpg

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was just informed that the keyboard and mouse Razer Turret is not a peripheral. That gave me a good laugh this morning. Thanks mods!

Edit - I was debating on whether I should have posted this in the HTPC section or the peripheral section. Both work, so I'm fine with it.

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
For HTPC use I much prefer keyboards with trackpads as you don't really have surfaces for a mouse around handy on couches etc. I have 3 Logitech K400's and they're fantastic. None of them has failed so far.

Of course if it's for actual K/M gaming then understood :)