Razer Deathstalker review

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I went from a Mechanical keyboard to a chiclet keyboard. I really dug the Blackwidow Ultimate I had but I kind of got tired of the click click click sound. And unlike a lot of people, I actually like the feel of typing on a good chiclet keyboard. Imho the majority of them really suck to type on though. At $80 this is definitely one of the more expensive ones out there, if not the most expensive. Well, aside from the Ultimate version which is $249.

Typing on this has a very different feel than a regular or a mechanical board, it's very smooth and the key press feel is absent, I don't really know how to explain it. But with my Blackwidow I knew when a keystroke registered just by feel, here it's like the motion from when you initiate the press and when you release is 1 motion. I rather like it and think typing on this will be pretty pleasurable.

pros: quiet, I could almost wake up my damn neighbors on my old one.
keys feel nice and they're laser etched so no letters rubbing off
backlit which is adjustable, and since the keys are sealed there's no light leaking.
I love the way the plastic feels, it's got a bit of texture to it.
Boards light, but it feels solid, and with the feet on the bottom it doesn't move at all.

cons: on the Ultimate version you can change the backlight color. here it's not.
This may or may not be a con depending on how you feel about green.
lacks the function keys of the ultimate, would have been REALLY nice to have them.
No USB ports, my last 3 or 4 boards all had them, and I had grown accustom.

Biggest pro - sealed keys with no exposed membrane area! Which means there's nowhere for crumbs to get stuck! When I swapped out my Blackwidow the other day, I took a good look at it close up in better lighting and was pretty horrified at how many potato chip pieces and other debris I saw between the keys :( I turned it upside down and gave it some good shakes, a bit fell out. I repeated 3 times but upon further inspection there was still a lot of junk visible lol. I eat every night while I game and Youtube so cleaning this should be a damn breeze.

I dunno if it's possible, but I don't see why not. I'd love to see a chiclet board with mechanical keys. I absolutely love how this looks, and I love the sealed keys. If they could combine this boards externals with the guts of the Blackwidow I'd be all over it.

I haven't taken a typing test in a long time so I'm not sure what my wpm was on the Blackwidow, but I just took 3 1 minute tests and averaged 62wpm with 2 mistakes. I utilize a 2-4 finger peck method so 62 seems pretty good.

Last edited:

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
Have you had any problems with the keys sticking, going out ?
Thinking about buying the deathstalker also.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I had a problem with it repeating keys until you pressed another one, but this was on the SWTOR version. After trying everything and talking to Razer, they just RMA'd that and gave me a new DeathStalker Ultimate. Sadly, I do a ton of typing and having had used mechanical switches for quite awhile before I got that keyboard, wanted to go back. Now I have an unopened DeathStalker Ultimate. >_>

Stoogie

Dec 25, 2012
im using a razer deathstalker atm, its awesome, previously i used a lycosa for 7 years or whenever it was released, and it still works perfectly with no wear in comparison to the keys, i take good care of my stuff ;p, i also tried many mechanical keyboards, baught a cherry red coolermaster cm storm trigger, and i just hate the mechanicals because of the small key tops, fat key height, 4mm bottom out, and issues with spamming keys since u have to try and hover, and the noise is anoying,

i also purchased a moeya anime keyboard tho its not here yet theres 447 designs just search moeya on amazon $57 with postage to australi like $34 US to buy. heres the one i baught: its a chiclet one same manufacturer as apples keyboards i think

900x900px-LL-510d429c_51CseDsEz2L.jpeg