Razer Chroma

xFrosties

Mar 7, 2015
So I'm fairly new to PC gaming and I about a month or two ago, I built my pc and along with it I bought a Razer Blackwidow Chroma and Deathadder Chroma and Goliathus.

To me, I really love these two. This was my first even mechanical gaming keyboard and I love it so far. I have never felt Cherry MX or any other key switch. So after a month or two of buying it, people have been telling me that I made a bad choice because I could've bought a Logitech G710+ or a K90 rgb that will last longer and has better build quality.

I personally love the looks and feel of Kailh switches but thats coming from someone who has never felt Cherry MX browns or blues. The place where I bought these from is a long way from home and I was just wondering if there's a huge difference from this and Cherry MX. Is it worth a 2 hour drive? This keyboard cost me about 170USD and I could've got a G710+ for half the price. Should I exchange it?

Edit: If I'm going for a Cherry MX switch, I'd go for a Blue or Brown. I like the clickiness of Blues and the feedback aswell.

Thanks

Last edited:

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
All cherry keys are mx denoting mechanical, it's the color that sets them apart. I tried one of those when I was trying to decide on which kb to buy and ended up with the logitech g910 to replace my g710+. The keys on the chroma feel very much like cherry mx blues and I imagine that they did it on purpose so people who've used their kb's in the past wouldn't notice any difference with the latest one since they can't get cherry switches anymore. What I don't like is that you have to run the cloud based synapse 2.x software which trashed my blackwidow ultimate kb during a bios update. The other thing is that I don't like having to use fn to access keys that should already be present such as media controls. This is another reason that I bought another logitech kb. When I looked this last time it really came down to the g910 and the corsair k95 rgb and I like the keys on the g910 better.

I've got browns on my g710+ and they just don't have the same kind of feel as the blues, which are a two stage switch with tactile feedback and a click. I've always preferred typing on blues and the g710 has them, however typing on the roma g switch isn't too bad. I really like the short stroke even if they're just a little too soft for my taste. The new key shape really helps me to keep my fingers centered on the key so I don't accidentally press a wrong key. In the end I think that I'd like a black switch with the higher actuation force in a two stage setup like the blues only with a shorter stroke like the roma g. The browns felt super mushy to me coming from a kb with the blues and they just don't have the same tactile feedback, a feature that I really like. In the end it comes down to personal preference so I would recommend that a person try using the kb first so they can get a feel for it prior to committing to it.

xFrosties

Mar 7, 2015
All cherry keys are mx denoting mechanical, it's the color that sets them apart. I tried one of those when I was trying to decide on which kb to buy and ended up with the logitech g910 to replace my g710+. The keys on the chroma feel very much like cherry mx blues and I imagine that they did it on purpose so people who've used their kb's in the past wouldn't notice any difference with the latest one since they can't get cherry switches anymore. What I don't like is that you have to run the cloud based synapse 2.x software which trashed my blackwidow ultimate kb during a bios update. The other thing is that I don't like having to use fn to access keys that should already be present such as media controls. This is another reason that I bought another logitech kb. When I looked this last time it really came down to the g910 and the corsair k95 rgb and I like the keys on the g910 better.

I've got browns on my g710+ and they just don't have the same kind of feel as the blues, which are a two stage switch with tactile feedback and a click. I've always preferred typing on blues and the g710 has them, however typing on the roma g switch isn't too bad. I really like the short stroke even if they're just a little too soft for my taste. The new key shape really helps me to keep my fingers centered on the key so I don't accidentally press a wrong key. In the end I think that I'd like a black switch with the higher actuation force in a two stage setup like the blues only with a shorter stroke like the roma g. The browns felt super mushy to me coming from a kb with the blues and they just don't have the same tactile feedback, a feature that I really like. In the end it comes down to personal preference so I would recommend that a person try using the kb first so they can get a feel for it prior to committing to it.

Thanks for the reply. So do you think it is worth returning the Chroma for a different keyboard with Cherry MX switches or Romer-g switches?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
honestly, although those would not be my first choice, i think you did all right. i hope you went for the stiffer, rough goliathus and not the softer, mushier one. i always get confused because "the control has more speed, and the speed has more control".
so i guess the control is the one you want, because it will give you more speed.
also, i hope you bought the large one.

btw i had a deathadder for 2 years, great mouse, one of the very best.

re: switches, http://deskthority.net/wiki/Razer_switch
i don't think these are inferior to cherry; source: i have never even seen one, but seriously, they are manufactured to essentially the same standards. and cherry aren't *that* awesome anyway. kailh mantains they are actually superior.

if anything, i'd return the kb in favour of a tenkeyless one; i dont think gamers actually use the ten-key pad, and it saves space for your mouse, while maintaining ergonomics.

Last edited:

xFrosties

Mar 7, 2015
honestly, although those would not be my first choice, i think you did all right. i hope you went for the stiffer, rough goliathus and not the softer, mushier one. i always get confused because "the control has more speed, and the speed has more control".
so i guess the control is the one you want, because it will give you more speed.
also, i hope you bought the large one.

btw i had a deathadder for 2 years, great mouse, one of the very best.

re: switches, http://deskthority.net/wiki/Razer_switch
i don't think these are inferior to cherry; source: i have never even seen one, but seriously, they are manufactured to essentially the same standards. and cherry aren't *that* awesome anyway. kailh mantains they are actually superior.

if anything, i'd return the kb in favour of a tenkeyless one; i dont think gamers actually use the ten-key pad, and it saves space for your mouse, while maintaining ergonomics.

Word. You're right. And no I went with the speed edition :D I had to go with the medium edition because that was the only one they had at the store. They're quite expensive as well. The mouse pad itself cost about $40 usd for the medium edition.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i bough a few goliathus on ebay and amazon (yes, a few). i wouldn't swear if they are original or very good clones, but they work VERY well. and they are dirt cheap.

bet ya you can find the large shipped for $20.
china, and people basically getting their friends at the factory that makes the "original" ones to run a few hundred more for cost -> profit.

btw, i use different surfaces/pads for different games/different sensitivity. quake for example, requires high slide, low sens. BLR requires medium slide/sens.

dosinu

Apr 6, 2015
my mwheel on my deathadder 2013 died recvently and its in for warranty, really hope I get a chroma back!

They are great mice, I play csgo pretty competitively and they are genuine decent.

kiwi_gurl

May 24, 2015
I also have the
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Chroma RGB Keyboard &

Razer DeathAdder Chroma mouse plus

Razer Gaming Mouse Pad - Goliathus Extended and love them