Raytracing is worth the money. (Opinion)

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8xL1YvNzkzMjE5L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUwNjA1NzIwMzMuanBn

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8xL1UvNzkzMjE4L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUwNjA1NDg3MTEuanBn

This picture shows why it makes such a huge difference and why it's worth it to buy a new GPU with Ray tracing now.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS80L0cvNzkzMzEyL29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUxMTIzNTg1ODguanBn

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Depends on how close they can keep that selling price to MSRP!! If they can keep it dead on pricing target,then heck yeah. Well that and if they really can out perform this gen's 10xx series. Would love to get the 2080 but looks like I will probably have to settle for a 2070.Or if the 2060 will have RTS then I will get that.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8xL1YvNzkzMjE5L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUwNjA1NzIwMzMuanBn

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS8xL1UvNzkzMjE4L29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUwNjA1NDg3MTEuanBn

This picture shows why it makes such a huge difference and why it's worth it to buy a new GPU with Ray tracing now.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS80L0cvNzkzMzEyL29yaWdpbmFsLzE1MzUxMTIzNTg1ODguanBn

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html
Keep in mind that DLSS will not be supported on all games, and that Ray Tracing will add a large performance hit. That graph is without Ray Tracing in use.
Ray Tracing now looks like a 1080P deal, which many people won't like. If RT only runs at 1080P, people are probably not going to use it much.
They will turn it on, play around with it for a while, agree that it looks really cool, then turn it off and go back to 4K.

Reactions: Elfear

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
These images are from like a week ago... we know it looks good. The issue is performance.

Reactions: amenx

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Incase your missing it OP, it is hinted that with ray tracing on, on 1080p, you can bearly get 30fps.

Im sorry i dont know what universe nvidia is on, to think gamers would actually think paying 1200 dollars to be locked at 30fps with a bit more shiney graphics means worth it....

Infact most gamers start turning graphic settings down once it hits 40fps, to get as close to 60fps as possible if not greater.

So ray tracing worth it for 1200 dollars?
The only way im gonna say that is if the thing performs close to or better then 2 x 1080 ti's in SLI.
Because you can definitely get close to 2 x 1080ti for 1200 dollars.

Also on another note, that article is being laughed at by a lot of gamer youtubers, and other tech sites, because not only does that author bash his own Tom's Hardware writers recommendation of :wait for benchmarks: his entire article looks like something he had to rush to write, and be a paid shill for nividia to get on Jenson's holy graces.

You can see Gamers Nexus Comments here as he tears up that writer.

So Cliff...
99% of most gamers will not get this card, unless it can perform significantly better then a 1080ti as its almost twice the price.
85% of most gamers will probably end up disabling RT, because if we can afford a 1200 dollar card, we can also afford 144hz 1440p and well.... lets just leave it at that.
99% of gamers think that editor in Tom's is a Fruit Case, as pointed out in Gamers Nexus Video.

Last edited:

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
For my wife and I it is absolutely something we will use all the time until the next gen cards come out and make it even better. We are glad we are at the front of the wave of graphics rendering and real time raytracing. :) I love it!
Our monitors for gaming are 27" ASUS at 1080 p and it looks fantastic (we bought them when they first hit the market and they have been one of the best values for the dollar and have lasted us a long time with zero complaints. I have each calibrated to produce pure colors with a colormonkey photo. )(VS278Q) We don't need to buy a new monitor every time one comes out but we like having new graphics cards and the new nVidia RTX are the best yet.
As John Lennon said, "I hope one day you'll join us and the world will be as one."
Since the new cards are allowing us all to see games in a way we never could before (and it's fantastic), here is a version of 'Imagine" that has never been heard before either, until now (It's also fantastic).

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
We are glad we are at the front of the wave. :) I love it!
Our monitors for gaming are 27" ASUS at 1080 p and it looks fantastic. (VS278Q) We don't need to buy a new monitor every time one comes out but we like having new graphics cards and the new nVidia RTX are the best yet.

Are you trying to copy the Tom's article and trying to be sarcastic?

You love being at the front of the wave, and your still on 1080p? Im sorry is that even a 144hz monitor you are on?
You do know Monitors are less likely to be upgraded then videocard, hence why its usually in ones best interest to get the best monitor you can afford as most likely it will outlast every component on your PC minus the Power Supply in most occasions.

A great monitor has one of the best rate of return in investment, because you actually see a large difference between a cheap monitor, and a excellent monitor, not to mention all the screen real estate you gain from having a monitor with a high resolution, and the stunning colors you get from a great panel.

You need to buy a new video card everytime yet your too cheap to get a high performance monitor? This im completely lost on...
Are you even aware at your resolution minus ray tracing even a 1060 6GB will most likely pummel though almost any game at your resolution? A RTX 2080 on 1080p monitor is like...

Something honestly a 5yr old would do who has no idea on how to properly balance a build on their PC.

The new RTX is the best yet? At what? Do you have any of these hidden benchmarks that are still under NDA that we are not aware of? Again you are aware your frame limited to like 30's with RT and DLSS on which to most PC gamers the main reason why we ran away from consoles right?

Again... are you trying to choke us with your sarcasm?
Did you even watch that gamer nexus video or even read the Tom's Article while trying to comprehend the words?

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
For my wife and I it is absolutely something we will use all the time until the next gen cards come out and make it even better. We are glad we are at the front of the wave. :) I love it!
Our monitors for gaming are 27" ASUS at 1080 p and it looks fantastic. (VS278Q) We don't need to buy a new monitor every time one comes out but we like having new graphics cards and the new nVidia RTX are the best yet.
As John Lennon said, "I hope one day you'll join us and the world will be as one."
Since the new cards are allowing us all to see games in a way we never could before (and it's fantastic), here is a version of 'Imagine" that has never been heard before either, until now (It's also fantastic).

Not sure if serious... You want to be "at the front of the wave" with a 60hz 1080p TN monitor? Me thinks your eyes would be more impressed moving to a 144Hz 1440p or 4k monitor rather than a handful of games with mediocre raytracing effects at 1080p.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
LOL
Are you trying to copy the Tom's article and trying to be sarcastic?

You love being at the front of the wave, and your still on 1080p? Im sorry is that even a 144hz monitor you are on?
You do know Monitors are less likely to be upgraded then videocard, hence why its usually in ones best interest to get the best monitor you can afford as most likely it will outlast every component on your PC minus the Power Supply in most occasions.

A great monitor has one of the best rate of return in investment, because you actually see a large difference between a cheap monitor, and a excellent monitor, not to mention all the screen real estate you gain from having a monitor with a high resolution, and the stunning colors you get from a great panel.

You need to buy a new video card everytime yet your too cheap to get a high performance monitor? This im completely lost on...
Are you even aware at your resolution minus ray tracing even a 1060 6GB will most likely pummel though almost any game at your resolution? A RTX 2080 on 1080p monitor is like...

Something honestly a 5yr old would do who has no idea on how to properly balance a build on their PC.

The new RTX is the best yet? At what? Do you have any of these hidden benchmarks that are still under NDA that we are not aware of? Again you are aware your frame limited to like 30's with RT and DLSS on which to most PC gamers the main reason why we ran away from consoles right?

Again... are you trying to choke us with your sarcasm?
Did you even watch that gamer nexus video or even read the Tom's Article while trying to comprehend the words?
...the front of the wave "OF GRAPHICS CARDS AND RAYTRACING" I guess the implied part of that needed to be spelled out to some readers.
Thanks. :)

The new RTX is the best yet? At what?

At Raytracing in real time.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Not sure if serious... You want to be "at the front of the wave" with a 60hz 1080p TN monitor? Me thinks your eyes would be more impressed moving to a 144Hz 1440p or 4k monitor rather than a handful of games with mediocre raytracing effects at 1080p.
I have 4k HDR for sitting at a comfortable viewing distance, but not needed to sit a foot away from on a small screen.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
For my wife and I it is absolutely something we will use all the time until the next gen cards come out and make it even better. We are glad we are at the front of the wave of graphics rendering and real time raytracing. :) I love it!
Our monitors for gaming are 27" ASUS at 1080 p and it looks fantastic (we bought them when they first hit the market and they have been one of the best values for the dollar and have lasted us a long time with zero complaints. I have each calibrated to produce pure colors with a colormonkey photo. )(VS278Q) We don't need to buy a new monitor every time one comes out but we like having new graphics cards and the new nVidia RTX are the best yet.
Do you work for Tom's?

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You have no basis to say it's worth the money when there is no data as to how good or bad the performance is. It's an incredibly cool feature, yes, but who cares if it realistically brings your FPS down to 30-45 fps especially at the price they're asking.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
You have no basis to say it's worth the money when there is no data as to how good or bad the performance is. It's an incredibly cool feature, yes, but who cares if it realistically brings your FPS down to 30-45 fps especially at the price they're asking.
It's my opinion. That's all the basis I need. :)
From preliminary reports, it will run at 4k 1440 fps much better than the current cards.
But, that doesn't really matter to me as I said, I like playing games, not running benchmarks. :)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It's my opinion. That's all the basis I need. :)
From preliminary reports, it will run at 4k 1440 fps much better than the current cards.
But, that doesn't really matter to me as I said, I like playing games, not running benchmarks. :)

ok you are aware nvidia has a super aggressive NDA policy which 99.99% of reviewers do not want to mess with.
So these preliminary you are reading are most likely not official sources.

Also if you want to go down the "i heard from my cousin who heard from his cousin who heard from his second in law's..."
I hear they dont do that much better then a 1080Ti @ 4k and 1440p. At least not worth it in the cost of it being double a 1080ti.

And i also play my games.
I dont spend hours looking at the NPC's eyes for ray tracing tho.
Nor do i spend hours looking at puddles.
Nor do i even think spending 1200 dollars again, is considered a good value for a gpu that cant do RT in at least 60fps @ 1440p.

This is just Nvidia learning bad habits from Intel, trying to force consumer gamers to fork up enterprise quadro series cards, and killing our gaming industry with the intense markup from Ray Tracing.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
ok you are aware nvidia has a super aggressive NDA policy which 99.99% of reviewers do not want to mess with.
So these preliminary you are reading are most likely not official sources.

Also if you want to go down the "i heard from my cousin who heard from his cousin who heard from his second in law's..."
I hear they dont do that much better then a 1080Ti @ 4k and 1440p. At least not worth it in the cost of it being double a 1080ti.

And i also play my games.
I dont spend hours looking at the NPC's eyes for ray tracing tho.
Nor do i spend hours looking at puddles.
Nor do i even think spending 1200 dollars again, is considered a good value for a gpu that cant do RT in at least 60fps @ 1440p.

This is just Nvidia learning bad habits from Intel, trying to force consumer gamers to fork up enterprise quadro series cards, and killing our gaming industry with the intense markup from Ray Tracing.
Ok. That's fine for you. If I were you I wouldn't buy one either. After all nVidia isn't forcing anyone to do anything.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Yep, and for my wife and I the future of gaming is now. :)
I saw a leak that said it will give even better performance than the current 1080Ti. Even if it is equal or even slightly lower, it will be worth it for us just because it has RT and DLSS that the current cards don't, so just that addition to the current specs makes it worthwhile for us. I understand not everyone wants to or even can afford to buy these cards and that's fine, I am not selling them, just glad to be using one soon.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Keep in mind that DLSS will not be supported on all games, and that Ray Tracing will add a large performance hit. That graph is without Ray Tracing in use.
Ray Tracing now looks like a 1080P deal, which many people won't like. If RT only runs at 1080P, people are probably not going to use it much.
They will turn it on, play around with it for a while, agree that it looks really cool, then turn it off and go back to 4K.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is what I'd do, no way any of this RT stuff will run at 4k and probably will not for another 3 GPU generations or so. The move to 4k isn't something I feel like I can go back from, it's just another level of fidelity. 1080p across a 32" monitor is just awful as well, many 4k users also have fairly large screens where 1080p suffers a lot.

The other thing that concerns me is they seem to have dedicated something like 1/3rd of all the transistors on the chip to RT operations, that makes me wonder that if AMD can produce something that's classical rendering only in their next generation, and they can also skip 12nm and go straight to 7nm...we could see some products that absolutely dominate in rasterization performance and beat Nvidia by a country mile, all the 4k users struggling to get decent fps in the top end games will flock to that.

With rumors they could land in 2018, I've decided to wait and see what happens. Right now >99.5% of my game library works in 4k just fine on a GTX1080 overclocked.

Discussion of AMD products and what-ifs is not allowed in the Nvidia subforum.

AT Moderator ElFenix

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I have a sneaking suspicion this is what I'd do, no way any of this RT stuff will run at 4k and probably will not for another 3 GPU generations or so. The move to 4k isn't something I feel like I can go back from, it's just another level of fidelity. 1080p across a 32" monitor is just awful as well, many 4k users also have fairly large screens where 1080p suffers a lot.

The other thing that concerns me is they seem to have dedicated something like 1/3rd of all the transistors on the chip to RT operations, that makes me wonder that if AMD can produce something that's classical rendering only in their next generation, and they can also skip 12nm and go straight to 7nm...we could see some products that absolutely dominate in rasterization performance and beat Nvidia by a country mile, all the 4k users struggling to get decent fps in the top end games will flock to that.

With rumors they could land in 2018, I've decided to wait and see what happens. Right now >99.5% of my game library works in 4k just fine on a GTX1080 overclocked.
Then it will work 35% better on a newer card and with RT and DLSS. :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Then it will work 35% better on a newer card and with RT and DLSS. :)

$1,200 better?

Yes, if money really means nothing to you then even a 5% increase in speed is worth paying $1,200.

I can easily afford to spend that much, I have no limits on my computing budget other than being (to put it nicely) "thrifty." I'm just very far from being convinced that the 2080 ti is worth the price, especially before the NDAs expire and we start to get more trustworthy reviews.

Remember, it wasn't too long ago that sites like wccftech were claiming they knew we'd be getting a GTX 1180 for $700 in August. Don't trust the pre-release rumors and leaks.