Raw Read Error Rate with 4tb external seagate drive

dream3

Nov 9, 2015
Hey guys!

Just noticed this field Raw Read Error Rate has been increasing like nuts in my external hdd. I'm using HD Sentinel.

Take a look:
ut-deo3.png

What does this mean? Can I trust this drive or should I replace it?

The weirdest part is that it shows no SMART alerts at all. Says "OK".

Any thoughts?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
This article breaks it down, unless you are noticing any strange behavior, the SMART status is correct.

In this concrete case the raw value for Seek error rate is 17262017054, or 0x000404E57A1E. The first 16 bits is 0x0004 and the last 32 bits are 0x04E57A1E. What this means is that there were 4 seek errors (meaning the head wasn't positioned correctly after being moved to some track) but there were 82147870 seeks in total. So, this is very very small fraction of errors.

dream3

Nov 9, 2015
That's not a good sign. Have you tried running a hard drive health utility on it to see what it finds?

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

or

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Not yet, cuase HD Sentinel itself showed no bad SMART status. I will then. What do you think about seagate own tool, seatools?

This article breaks it down, unless you are noticing any strange behavior, the SMART status is correct.

Thanks but now how can I trust this drive? What if it is in fact something bad not being correctly detected? What is the best way to double check?

And would this be specific to this particular drive or this series of drives (expansion plus portable)?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Try this article, it is a lot more extensive. High density drives utilize extensive ECC for normal read errors and it seems just Seagate drives report it a bit differently than others and hasn't really bothered to explain it. People like this article author had to figure it out :)