Ravens QB Joe Flacco says what we all think: "Super Bowl in NJ would be retarded"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The game be shared among all the stadiums.

And remind me of which experience outdoors was better, dallas, atlanta, or indianapolis.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
i agree. but you will never have a SB played at labou or Soldier field. it's such bullshit. if you have a team that plays in the cold they should have the option to play the SB in the cold.

Well the 1967 NFL championship game (Ice Bowl) was at Lambeau Field.

game-time temperature at Lambeau Field was about −15 °F / −26 °C, with a wind chill around −48 °F / −44 °C

Score was 17-21, not single digits.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
Well Watson, this thread is about playing the game in cold weather conditions. A dome is a dome is a dome, so if a SB was played in a dome in Minneapolis then it doesn't really count... cause it's a dome.

What a terrible idea. So the championship game she be adversely affected by the results of a mid-season all-star game? I am so glad AT doesn't run any major sports.

No its not. Its about the whole SuperBowl experience including the entire week leading up to the Superbowl. A cold weather climate can put a serious damper on those festivities. A snowstorm could potentially shut down the city and its transportation system.

As for the argument about cold weather hurting the game I say blah. Some of the best NFL games have been played in the cold.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
No its not. Its about the whole SuperBowl experience including the entire week leading up to the Superbowl. A cold weather climate can put a serious damper on those festivities. A snowstorm could potentially shut down the city and its transportation system.

But they have played it in cities like Detroit and Minnesota where this could have happened.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
No, he has the wrong reason for not playing the Superbowl in cold weather.

1. he's a complete pussy for not wanting to play in the cold
2. the real reason its bad idea is logistics nightmares should there be a shit ton of snow

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

2. the real reason its bad idea is logistics nightmares should there be a shit ton of snow

No, he's not a pussy at all. He just beat one of the best QBs to ever play the game in 2 degree weather. He plays in cold weather every year, and has no problem with it.

The Super Bowl is completely different.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

Idiot post of the day here.

He grew up in Jersey and knows what a complete shithole that place is. No player wants to play there much less have to spend an entire week "seeing the sights" of New Yorks waste dumps. He has played his entire football career in cold weather cities. He just punked Manning in Denver in freezing temps and routinely has Tom Brady slurping his knob in Foxborough in freezing temps.

It's more likely you're just butthurt :biggrin:

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
NFL supports George Carlins Pussification of Men piece. This sport and it's players are getting more and more wusstastic every day.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I hope its snowing, football is meant to be played in the elements.

Don't give a shit about the vacationing, the businesses, the media etc. It should be only about THE GAME.

They don't move the world series to generic nice cities.

the game wouldnt exist as is if there wasnt money driving it. you put the biggest game in warm areas where you will generate the most revenue.

its just the superbowl anyway. sure, thats the ultimate goal, but getting there is more then half the battle. players know it. the two league championship games are the real deal anyway, and those are played in whatever elements that are there.

superbowl just decides what league is better, its not really the same game as the previous few playoff games so i can see why the playing feild is nuetralized... plus the fans at superbowls are nothing like the fans at regular or playoff games. superbowl goers are usually just rich people who dont like to rough it for anything. they go moreso for status symbols. its a spectacle for them, and they dont give a shit about THE GAME as you put it.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Idiot post of the day here.

He grew up in Jersey and knows what a complete shithole that place is. No player wants to play there much less have to spend an entire week "seeing the sights" of New Yorks waste dumps. He has played his entire football career in cold weather cities. He just punked Manning in Denver in freezing temps and routinely has Tom Brady slurping his knob in Foxborough in freezing temps.

It's more likely you're just butthurt :biggrin:
Peyton 8-2
Brady 7-3

"Idiot post of the day" fail

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
NFL supports George Carlins Pussification of Men piece. This sport and it's players are getting more and more wusstastic every day.

because if they dont, medical research will allow thousands of people to sue the nfl into bankruptcy. either way, people are going to realize continuous hits to the head is really bad for health. the nfl is trying to be proactive to push the perception that they care about player safety.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yeah, I know where it is, I drive by it twice a day and I'm a frequent visitor during the giants season. Not being in Central Park does not place it in Newark.

Its roughly equidistant to Newark as Manhattan, though, and I would imagine with traffic, shorter time-wise.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Could be worse - they could have picked Cleveland.

That sounds fine in theory, but it would really, really suck if it was Buffalo vs. Green Bay.

Why would it suck? The Green Bay fans aren't pansies - they'd fill their stadium. The Bills fans aren't pansies. They'd fill their stadium.

Ya'll must be frum da Sowf. The areas prone to a metric shit ton of snow are generally quite capable of dealing with it. When's the last time a Bill's (right in the middle of the snowbelt) game was cancelled by a snowfall? I've been to a Bills/Skins game when there was a foot of fresh snow. (It was amusing to see some jackass in one area of the stands taunting the crowd - every ounce of snow within throwing distance was formed into a snowball and thrown at him. A hell of a pile of snow built up where he was at (in the upper stands that didn't have a ton of people.)

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Seems fair, the Cowboys wiull never get close enough to even smell a SB so we wouldn't have to worry about THAT advantage

I dont think home field would matter that much, since the tickets are divided evenly among the two teams. Cowboy Stadium is built for Superbowls. University of Phoenix Stadium is a distant second.

Last edited: