Rate this low end laptop please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
If you can you might as well, but they usually have a minimum hardware spec you need to buy it. You may already meet this standard, but they usually give the free OS and hope people will add in the extra hardware and make them more money.

Basically they force their "minimum specs" on you

imported_Uber

Oct 5, 2006
I honestly have no idea what kind of power these photo editing programs require, but I got a cheapy laptop for school. Its got real basic onboard video, Celeron M 1.4GHz, 256 MB RAM (The only gripe I have about it - am planning on upgrading to 768). And I know for a fact that it will run Doom 3 if I turn the textures down.
This laptop ended up costing me only about $500.
Sure its nothing fancy, but it does a lot more than you'd expect out of $500.

alimoalem

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2005
go through with the purchase. i got the XPMC OS with it but i haven't used it yet...just got it cause it was free :p . you can always get it and not tell her about the Media Center part but even if she knows, i doubt there's anything more she'll do that "counter-productive" than she would've done with regular XP