Question Raptor Lake - Official Thread

Page 85 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since we already have the first Raptor Lake leak I'm thinking it should have it's own thread.
What do we know so far?
From Anandtech's Intel Process Roadmap articles from July:

Built on Intel 7 with upgraded FinFET
10-15% PPW (performance-per-watt)
Last non-tiled consumer CPU as Meteor Lake will be tiled

I'm guessing this will be a minor update to ADL with just a few microarchitecture changes to the cores. The larger change will be the new process refinement allowing 8+16 at the top of the stack.

Will it work with current z690 motherboards? If yes then that could be a major selling point for people to move to ADL rather than wait.

Reactions: vstar

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
As @maddie pointed out, it was and (presumably) still is more cost-effective for AMD to stick to 8c Vermeer CCDs on N7 so long as they continue to produce Milan. If or when that consideration changes somehow, maybe we will see N6 Rembrandt-like CCDs on AM4. It would be a nice followup product to Vermeer, and it would fill in the gap that AMD has left by not selling Rembrandt on AM5 yet.

Reactions: Kaluan

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
"Informal" reviews from people who did not sign any contract with Intel are not subject to any regulation. If somebody deleted it, it most likely contained some mistakes.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
@Zucker2k
What does "ADL" in your post stand for? I guess it is something like AMD ... lobby?
Here's a thought. You could all stop poking each other with sharp sticks. How is what you wrote constructive to the topic? Did you feel a need to defend Intel against the slings and arrows of detractors? If so, why? This isn't directed only at you. These discussions devolve into silly back and forth accusations and thinly veiled insults. You are, all of you, better than that.

I thank everyone that continues to provide technical details, performance projections, and even personal predictions about the upcoming products. That is what I read these threads for. The kids fighting in the backseat dynamic I could do without. Don't make me turn this car around! :D

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
IMHO the results were pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but solid. I especially appreciated that power consumption and performance almost scaled linearly at unlimited settings. That bodes well for improved efficiency at stock settings.
How many people here will be running Unlimited mode? Stock vs Stock review will be here very soon...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
IMHO the results were pretty solid. Nothing spectacular, but solid. I especially appreciated that power consumption and performance almost scaled linearly at unlimited settings. That bodes well for improved efficiency at stock settings.
I am not saying either way, I just think its a possibility that if it was not a great review, Intel might have forced them to remove it due to the NDA.

deathBOB

Dec 2, 2007
I am not saying either way, I just think its a possibility that if it was not a great review, Intel might have forced them to remove it due to the NDA.

They broke an NDA posting the review, but Intel forced them to pull it down only because it wasn’t sufficiently positive?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
They broke an NDA posting the review, but Intel forced them to pull it down only because it wasn’t sufficiently positive?
I said MIGHT. They could possibly have left it for PR if it was really good. I said "not saying either way".

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How many people here will be running Unlimited mode? Stock vs Stock review will be here very soon...

Keep in mind that launch day motherboards have had UEFI permitting all sorts of "interesting" default behavior from Intel chips lately. Stuff like unlimited tau for PL2 etc. It should not surprise anyone to see OEMs ship board UEFI permitting 350W operation for extended periods for reviews.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
Exactly. I already stated that IMHO this generation it is going to be a close call. They might very well be almost equal - with one being a bit ahead in one aspect and the other somewhere else. And even this might be leveled by pricing.
And now there is a big IMHO: I really hope that AMD is keeping their momentum until they are roughly on par with Intel market share wise. And I think that especially because of the Server market they will keep it. But I also have to give Intel some Kudos for how they have rebounded. Let's not forget in what a disastrous situation they were when Zen 2 launched. Back then momentum had just begun. Rocket Lake as a stop gap did not help much. Alder Lake already was a step in the right direction although it deservedly got a lot of bad press (and public opinion) due to having been dialed in some insane power limits. So if Rapid Lake and Raphael are trading blows although the latter has a node advantage this can be considered quite an achievement.
Of course it could all be just a bit of a respite. MTL is mobile only. Lunar Lake is far away, 20A being ready in 2024 is a big question mark given their track record and their first two chiplet generations might be a mixed bag - not in terms of concept, but in terms of execution.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I'm not seeing the rebound coming nor being there already. I'm gladly wrong for positive surprises, but Raptor Lake being an improved Alder Lake I'm not expecting significant efficiency improvements.

Reactions: ftt and Kaluan

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
Keep in mind that launch day motherboards have had UEFI permitting all sorts of "interesting" default behavior from Intel chips lately. Stuff like unlimited tau for PL2 etc. It should not surprise anyone to see OEMs ship board UEFI permitting 350W operation for extended periods for reviews.
Well lets hope reviewers are now on the ball with regards to such "actions" and duly make note of this in the first paragraphs/start of their reviews/videos

poke01

Mar 8, 2022
I am sorry but "unlimited power" setting is a sign when Marketing trump's engineering.
MTL is mobile only. Lunar Lake is far away, 20A being ready in 2024 is a big question mark given their track record and their first two chiplet generations might be a mixed bag - not in terms of concept, but in terms of execution
MTL is not moblie only. Intel said desktop is also coming in their Hot Chips keynote

Last edited:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
PL2=PL1 is the default behaviour for the -K Skus starting with Alder Lake; there are no special 350W modes specifically built for reviews.

Reactions: Exist50

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Intel is 13400 non-K makes its debut on Geekbench5

View attachment 67802

This confirms that all i5 even non-k use Raptor Cove.

The confusion comes from this slide that was leaked.

View attachment 67804

The result is too low, or the processor is severely limited by the default TDP.

E-Cores spam(compared to i5 12400)really has an impact on the total TDP.