IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Tisdale - "Land of Struggle Snuggle and Bee Puke"

Tisdale - Bee Surprised!

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Rape in the slogan refers to rapeseed, which has a number of varieties, including canola.
The Tisdale survey does not deal with that aspect of the controversy, but notes that today, organic rapeseed accounts for less than one per cent of the crops grown in the region. Canola is now king.

Uh, so is their canola rapeseed or not?

Jan 25, 2011
Tisdale - "Who gives a shit what the sign says? No one that doesn't already live here will ever see it."

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
"Rape in the slogan refers to rapeseed, which has a number of varieties, including canola."

Right... I already knew that without reading the article. Of course the average guy on the internet doesn't know that. Guess they will have to stop putting rapeseed in ingredients lists too?

From the slogan it is immediately apparent its a small farming town that grows canola and keeps bees, but only if you've passed 8th grade english and still managed to maintain an 8th grade reading level after highschool. Unlike... apparently most of the internet since an article like this was actually written in the first place and enough people clicked on it that it became a thing.

There are alot of 7th grade reading level people out there on the 'net these days, like the OP who thought it was worthy of sharing. Alright I'm gonna go read a book or something while you all hang out and get dumber together.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Tisdale - "Who gives a shit what the sign says? No one that doesn't already live here will ever see it."
lol

"Rape in the slogan refers to rapeseed, which has a number of varieties, including canola."

Right... I already knew that without reading the article. Of course the average guy on the internet doesn't know that. Guess they will have to stop putting rapeseed in ingredients lists too?

From the slogan it is immediately apparent its a small farming town that grows canola and keeps bees, but only if you've passed 8th grade english and still managed to maintain an 8th grade reading level after highschool. Unlike... apparently most of the internet since an article like this was actually written in the first place and enough people clicked on it that it became a thing.

There are alot of 7th grade reading level people out there on the 'net these days, like the OP who thought it was worthy of sharing. Alright I'm gonna go read a book or something while you all hang out and get dumber together.
I'd have no problem with a sign reading "Land of rapeseed and honey", but people who put up a sign reading "Land of rape and honey", um, maybe aren't all that bright. If there are two valid names for one of your major products, and one of those makes people want to pull a u-turn and go around your town, bright people would use the one that doesn't evoke the old struggle snuggle. (Still laughing over that!)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Sorry, but the blame lies on any townfolks dumb enough to advertise as the "land of rape and honey"--you know, those signs are expressly there to summarize your town's quality for those "unpleasant outsider types" who are unfortunate enough to be visiting, much less simply passing through.

And you goddamn know that if you were driving through Whatsitville you would have stopped to take a photo of that sign, with a thumbsup, maybe, or a disgust/shocked expression, and facebooked it for your entire clan.

Your false rage projected at the wrong audience is quite insulting, I must say. :colbert:

Last edited:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Sorry, but the blame lies on any townfolks dumb enough to advertise as the "land of rape and honey"--you know, those signs are expressly there to summarize your town's quality for those "unpleasant outsider types" who are unfortunate enough to be visiting, much less simply passing through.

And you goddamn know that if you were driving through Whatsitville you would have stopped to take a photo of that sign, with a thumbsup, maybe, or a disgust/shocked expression, and facebooked it for your entire clan.

Your false rage projected at the wrong audience is quite insulting, I must say. :colbert:

Its not really fake. People just aren't educated anymore, like you I guess since you don't understand.

One of the comments

marlanto
Only the uneducated are unaware that Rape refers to a seed.
Keep the motto.Nothing the matter with it. Many words have 2 or 3 different meanings.
Get educated. and leave Tisdale alone.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

I suspect they knew exactly what they were doing back in the day when they established that slogan. Tourism $$$.
http://forums.anandtech.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Its not really fake. People just aren't educated anymore, like you I guess since you don't understand.

One of the comments

Something that a vast majority of farmers and horticulturists would know, then a lower scale of linguists, and probably then a precipitous falloff of different groups of certainly highly well-educated people, and then the average person.

That rape = seed is probably not going to come off in the common core education of most humans; it just isn't all that relevant. It's a term that is very specific to a certain discourse community--I'm sure farmers would use this terminology daily in conversation and in journal literature, as well as horticulturists, but it still isn't something that one would assume to be common usage.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011

One of the comments

I used to farm 1800 acres of oats and 900+ of rape seed, im 100% certain I know more about it than you do. It's a news piece that's funny, sorry but they can't all be racist/political-partyist rage fests. If you don't recognize the humor here it says more about you than the other posters.
Now get over here and give us a resist trist ;)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I used to farm 1800 acres of oats and 900+ of rape seed, im 100% certain I know more about it than you do. It's a news piece that's funny, sorry but they can't all be racist/political-partyist rage fests. If you don't recognize the humor here it says more about you than the other posters.
Now get over here and give us a resist trist ;)

I'm a goddamn biologist working in genetics and I have never had cause to use this term. I'm not sure why Overvolt claims that this makes me uneducated. :D

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm a goddamn biologist working in genetics and I have never had cause to use this term. I'm not sure why Overvolt claims that this makes me uneducated. :D
I knew the term. Learn some damn biolinguistics, would ya.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Canola is a variety of rapeseed. It was named canola for marketing reasons.

I'm not actually asking what canola is, I'm pointing out that the article can't seem to stay consistent on this point. First they say canola is a variety of rapeseed, but then they say that canola has vastly supplanted rapeseed production in the town.

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
I'm not actually asking what canola is, I'm pointing out that the article can't seem to stay consistent on this point. First they say canola is a variety of rapeseed, but then they say that canola has vastly supplanted rapeseed production in the town.
Sorry, I only have a 7th grade reading level and zinfamous is an uneducated retard. You're on your own :(