Rape and the weather.

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
"As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

McCain event canceled over fundraiser's rape 'joke'
Posted: 02:35 PM ET
Sen. John McCain has made reaching out to women voters an important factor in his campaign. WASHINGTON (AP) ? John McCain has called off a fundraiser at the home of a Texas oilman who joked about rape during a 1990 gubernatorial run in the state.

The Texan, Republican Clayton Williams, made the joke during his failed campaign against Democrat Ann Richards. Williams compared rape to the weather, saying, "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

He also compared Richards to the cattle on his ranch, saying he would "head her and hoof her and drag her through the dirt." Williams' comments made national news at the time and remain easy to find on the Internet. Even so, McCain's campaign said it hadn't known about the remarks.

"These were obviously incredibly offensive remarks that the campaign was unaware of at the time it was scheduled," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said. "It's positive that he did apologize at the time, but the comments are nonetheless offensive."

The campaign said it would not return money Williams had raised for McCain because the contributions came from other individuals supporting McCain and not from Williams. Williams told his hometown newspaper, the Midland Reporter-Telegram, that he had raised more than $300,000 for McCain.

Democrats said McCain should give back the money: "Senator McCain's claim of ignorance is no excuse for refusing to do the right thing now. Offensive, disgusting comments like these cannot be tolerated," Democratic National Committee spokeswoman Karen Finney said.

The flap comes as McCain's campaign reaches out to women and to backers of Democrat Hillary Clinton. McCain began a women-focused outreach effort in recent days, sending a well-known female supporter, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, to campaign in Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Text

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The Texan, Republican Clayton Williams, made the joke during his failed campaign against Democrat Ann Richards. Williams compared rape to the weather, saying, "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."
Wow. That's golden. Did he leave his brain at home that day?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7

I don't think he ever had one to begin with.

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
That guy sounds like a total douche. I hope McCain isn't good friends with this guy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Seems like an over reaction. I assume the guy apologized and what not. If one was to cut all associaion with anyone who said something or did something stupid, they wouldn't associate with anyone.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
McCains cancelling this event over a comment made 18 years ago shows just how petty this election has become.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7

Nah.. just a typical Texas Republican

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Corbett
McCains cancelling this event over a comment made 18 years ago shows just how petty this election has become.

quoted so you can show your pastor

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006

Thats pretty minor stuff. I don't even like when they try to stick Obama with those stupid minor remarks like when he said "47 States" or that "10,000 people died" in a tornado. I dont even care he said this today:

" Barack Obama is warning supporters that the general election fight between him and John McCain may get ugly, but the Illinois senator is vowing not to back down.

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun," Obama said at a fundraiser in Philadelphia Friday, according to pool reports.

"We don't have a choice but to win," Obama said, joking that he has heard "folks in Philly like a good brawl. I've seen Eagles games."

Obama again said that the GOP will make try to make him look "scary" to voters.

Obama pledging to swing back at the GOP drew much applause from the crowd.

Republican National Committee spokesman Alex Conant said Obama's rhetoric abandons Obama's campaign themes of hope and change.

"In the last 24 hours, he?s completely abandoned his campaign?s call for ?new politics?, equating the election to a ?brawl? and promising to ?bring a gun,?" Conant said."

http://briefingroom.thehill.co...-fight-we-bring-a-gun/

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: sandorski
Seems like an over reaction. I assume the guy apologized and what not. If one was to cut all associaion with anyone who said something or did something stupid, they wouldn't associate with anyone.

Scot Mclellan worked for Clayton Williams on the campaign. According to his new book, Clayton didn't think there was anything wrong with the remark until a flood of phone calls to his campaign let him know it was unacceptable.

If it takes effort for you to realize rape is nothing to joke about, you have problems. There's a reason he's been out of politics since then.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Originally posted by: sandorski

Scot Mclellan worked for Clayton Williams on the campaign. According to his new book, Clayton didn't think there was anything wrong with the remark until a flood of phone calls to his campaign let him know it was unacceptable.

If it takes effort for you to realize rape is nothing to joke about, you have problems. There's a reason he's been out of politics since then.

True, but I've heard that joke or some variation of it a few times. Not really something a Politician can get away with saying, but not unforgivable and bringing it up 18 years later making him pay for it again just seems excessive.