:(! [rant]

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I got my schedule for the next semester and my school screwed up on two of my classes. I was recommended for AP US History, but got regular US History; and requested English 3, but got English 3 Honors. Apparently, a lot of my friends who were recommended for APUSH, got regular History and they were able to change their schedules.

So, I go to the school today to make the necessary changes. After waiting ~30 minutes for this lady to finish getting her son's schedule changed (without a problem, I may add), the lady at the desk says she's not sure if she can make my changes. She says she has to ask the principal about them, even though both of the classes I got into were because of the school's error. :(

I have to call around 3:00pm today to find out if the principal allowed me to transfer classes. It's stupid though, they screw up and you get screwed over. :confused:
-- mrcodedude

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Gotta love public schools. I still remember in 8th grade I got version 1.0 of the schedule, but everyone else was on version 2.0. That was a really crappy first couple weeks of class.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Thing is, if they don't change my classes. There is nothing I can do.. AND I have to read 2 books in less than a month, then do this thing called a double entry journal on each.. :(!
-- mrcodedude

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: MrCodeDude
Thing is, if they don't change my classes. There is nothing I can do.. AND I have to read 2 books in less than a month, then do this thing called a double entry journal on each.. :(!
-- mrcodedude

Technically you could just bugging them about it until they place you in the classes that you were originally supposed to be in.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: filmmaker
-- mrcodedude

Technically you could just bugging them about it until they place you in the classes that you were originally supposed to be in.
Yeah, I guess. Maybe call the principal up myself or leave a note in their inbox.
-- mrcodedude

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: filmmaker
-- mrcodedude

Yeah, I guess. Maybe call the principal up myself or leave a note in their inbox.
-- mrcodedude

If you want those classes, you better make that note explosive ;)

MegaloManiaK

Golden Member
May 27, 2003
Heh, it only gets worse man. In college no matter what happens you get screwed for it.

I have had classes cancelled only to get a phone call at 8pm the night before school starts saying i need to reschedule a class that was cancelled if i want to maintain the same number of credits.

Hope they get it straightened out quickly, waiting on people to do things is just a part of life i guess.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
tell your mom or dad to call, principals listen to them.

I agree, get your parents involved if you have to. AP classes can be pretty important and may make your eventual degree easier to obtain if you can get credit for some frosh classes.

boi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2002
Shouldn't you be talking to your counselor about your class schedule?

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Ameesh
tell your mom or dad to call, principals listen to them.

Also, try to set up an appointment to talk to the principal face to face and let him know how important this is to you.

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I'll try to answer all classes in one reply.

1. Why not counselors?
Counselors don't come back to school until August 11th, the day the classes are all scheduled. As in you are assigned teacher and period, etc.

2. Parents involved
My parents rarely get involved anymore. If I don't get in, I'll have my dad call in and talk to the principal. I've learned that it's better for me to ask nicely than my dad to yell and scream at them. But my dad usually gets his way.

English 3 Honors is the hardest class at the school, you are assigned a book to read and a report to write weekly. And these aren't short stories, 200 - 300 page books. Taking that along with Calculus AB AP (which is like guaranteed 3 hours of homework daily) along with me playing soccer is going to be overkill. The main problem with 3H is I don't read fast. I don't read slow, but page and a half per minute is my current speed on Grapes of Wrath. With a 300 page book, that'd be 200 minutes of reading, or 3 hours 20 minutes. Plus you have to write a few page essay, do Calc homework AND go to soccer for 2 hours every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday = bad combination.
-- mrcodedude

Well at least this high school is teaching you a lot about life in the real world by doing this to you.

I say, stick to your guns (maybe not the best metaphor pertaining to HS), and if they shove you around or give you BS then call in the big guns (Dad).

I had a similar situation waaaayyyyy back in HS. They screwed up my scedule and by the time I found out the only elective open for me was home-ec. I hated them (the counselors) at first, but I got so much poon as a result of "Me being sensative enough to take home-ec" that I loved the schools mistake. One week into home-ec they came to me trying to resolve the error and get me out, I told them no.:)

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Well at least this high school is teaching you a lot about life in the real world by doing this to you.

I say, stick to your guns (maybe not the best metaphor pertaining to HS), and if they shove you around or give you BS then call in the big guns (Dad).

I had a similar situation waaaayyyyy back in HS. They screwed up my scedule and by the time I found out the only elective open for me was home-ec. I hated them (the counselors) at first, but I got so much poon as a result of "Me being sensative enough to take home-ec" that I loved the schools mistake. One week into home-ec they came to me trying to resolve the error and get me out, I told them no.:)
Yeah, but these aren't electives. :)
-- mrcodedude