rant: warranty refused by intel

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
long story short, i got a intel board a fews ago from newegg, but only installed it a month ago. it ran for a few hours and then stopped working. after jumping through hoops with support for 2 days and 3 live chats, and finally flatly asking for a rma already they gave me one. 2 weeks pass, result from their QA is CID (Customer Induced Damage). i was dumbfounded, i have no idea how they got that conclusion. they had no answer to give me, other than a pic from their QA department. can someone offer me a a more legitimate answer as to how THIS can be user damage?

DG41MJa.jpg

kiriakos

Oct 9, 2010
www.ittsb.eu
This is an SMT resistor , an cheap to zero cost as value ..

It does not look burned , if it does have crash on a metallic object , yes its possible to break apart.

bryanl

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2006
The resistor could have been knocked off by the case standoff closest to the hole near it during installation (the resistor may then still be in the case), or the damage could have been done at the factory or by the repair center. Have Intel prove its perfect record so it can properly assign blame to you. While you're at it, ask Intel if that bag in the background is "metal out" or just "metal in" because if it's the latter (the vast majority are), they've broken their perfect record by placing a static-sensitive motherboard improperly on a static-causing surface.

Last edited:

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
You should have some recourse, though I honestly hate dealing with bad service so much I usually choose to forgo dealing with whatever company and their products ever again. Intel is off my A list of companies to buy motherboards from (at least for consumer level machines) because of a bad non-repair support experience.

That picture doesn't even look sharp enough to discern whether that spot used to contain a resistor that is now broken, or just the backs of pins of a component on the other side. Good luck talking them into what is most likely a just repair for free.

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
You should have some recourse, though I honestly hate dealing with bad service so much I usually choose to forgo dealing with whatever company and their products ever again. Intel is off my A list of companies to buy motherboards from (at least for consumer level machines) because of a bad non-repair support experience.

That picture doesn't even look sharp enough to discern whether that spot used to contain a resistor that is now broken, or just the backs of pins of a component on the other side. Good luck talking them into what is most likely a just repair for free.

they quoted me the full retail cost of the board as the repair fee. the rep pretty much stonewalled and gave me an ultimatum saying their QA is the final word, with no chance to appeal. pay or send back as is... this is the first Intel branded board i bought, and looks like my last now.

You bought it how long ago from newegg?

Bought May this year, installed last month.

takeru

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2002
This is an SMT resistor , an cheap to zero cost as value ..

It does not look burned , if it does have crash on a metallic object , yes its possible to break apart.

would it be possible to replace it myself?

kiriakos

Oct 9, 2010
www.ittsb.eu
I do not believe that Intel will share any info about the proper value of this resistor.
Another " possibility " are to spot the same PCB and measure the healthy one.

But the most logical would be to accept their repair , if their fee sounds logical to you.

*kjm

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Dam this takes the cake..... Intel is wasting way more money on telling you it's not covered. That would take me about 15 seconds to replace:rolleyes:

LR6

Sep 27, 2004
probably, but you'd need to know what type it was. sometimes you can just put a wire there with no resistance and itll be ok.

I would not replace it with a wire. Very bad things could happen depending on what the component was and what it was used for. For example if it was a power supply filtering cap you would short the supply rail to ground.

Ileader36

Aug 2, 2004
What is written on that IC?

If You can get the spec pdf off the web, then we may be able to help

the broken part was connected to pin 20.

Also provide Motherboard model number too.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
looks like a voltage regulator IC and most likely that is a blown board fuse. could be a number of things that cuased it. If that was indeed a filtering cap, you could most likely just leave it off as the circut would simply have a tiny bit less filtering without and real consequences, the fact that the board no longer works indicated it is likely a fuse ot resistor.