RANT: Seatbelt law!!! BULLCHP! *UPDATED*

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
I was stopped and cited by the CHP this morning for:

"Driver not wearing seatbelt properly"

I had the seatbelt under my arm for a few mins during a traffic jam to relieve the pressure on my shoulder.

Later, I spoke with a guy who said his brother was a CHP. Apparently, they're trying to fill seat belt violation quotas so they can get more govt. money for their department.

WTF!

UPDATE: So I called the CHP station and asked how much the ticket would be. The guy told me that I'd have to wait a couple of weeks for the ticket to leave their station to the court house. Then I can call the clerk and ask about the ticket. If its under $100, I'm probably not going to fight it since I'd be losing more than that if I took time off work to appear in court.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
I was stopped and cited by the CHP this morning for:

"Driver not wearing seatbelt properly"

I had the seatbelt under my arm for a few mins during a traffic jam to relieve the pressure on my shoulder.

Later, I spoke with a guy who said his brother was a CHP. Apparently, they're trying to fill seat belt violation quotas so they can get more govt. money for their department.

WTF!

The nanny state in all its glory.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: gistech1978
thats pretty lame man
how much was the ticket?

That is pretty lame, I could see it if you didn't have it on at all.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
why do you have pressure on your shoulder? sounds like the belt isn't on properly to begin with

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Were you moving at the time?
I have this image of Robert Duvall in Falling Down asking the CHiP what is the cause of the traffic jam and the CHiP is like "SIR YOU MUST GET BACK IN YOUR CAR. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THERE IS A LOT OF GLASS AND METAL FLYING PAST US AT HIGH SPEEDS."
And Robert Duvall just turns around and looks at the mass of stopped cars.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
you are guilty, pay the fine and stop complaining, Arnold said you guys are broke, do your part and pitch in some $$$

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: ElFenix
why do you have pressure on your shoulder? sounds like the belt isn't on properly to begin with

I'm a big guy so the seatbelt wraps over my shoulder and back. Plus I was recently in an accident so the pressure was uncomfortable. We were moving at 5-10mph cuz of a traffic jam, the cop was on his bike in the middle divider and spotted me.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
After giving me the ticket to sign, he said it was not a moving violation. That's supposed to comfort me since it won't cause my insurance bill to sky rocket.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
I have this image of Robert Duvall in Falling Down asking the CHiP what is the cause of the traffic jam and the CHiP is like "SIR YOU MUST GET BACK IN YOUR CAR. THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THERE IS A LOT OF GLASS AND METAL FLYING PAST US AT HIGH SPEEDS."

Heh, I love that part. :)

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001

I'm a big guy so the seatbelt wraps over my shoulder and back. Plus I was recently in an accident so the pressure was uncomfortable. We were moving at 5-10mph cuz of a traffic jam, the cop was on his bike in the middle divider and spotted me.

ooh i hate that. i'm not a big guy so i'm usually fine, but in GM trucks, the seatbelts are on the seat and wrap back down around my shoulder. definetely uncomfortable.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

ooh i hate that. i'm not a big guy so i'm usually fine, but in GM trucks, the seatbelts are on the seat and wrap back down around my shoulder. definetely uncomfortable.

my GMC truck, the seatbelt cuts into my neck and really annoys me.

THat is a lame ticket.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Was your vehicle moving? If your vehicle was moving, you deserve the ticket according to the law (even though that's pretty sh|tty). If your vehicle was not moving, challenge the ticket. Go to court and say that your shoulder was giving you problems so you simply slid your arm out from under the shoulder harnass for a few minutes while traffic was stopped to relieve the pain. Say that you did so in order to have better control over your vehicle once traffic started moving again -not having to fight the pain.

Booyah. If the judge doesn't throw out the ticket, I would suggest moving to another state!

VictorLazlo

Jul 23, 2003
Is there really such a thing as "not waring seatbelt PROPERLY"? I figured that as long as you had it on, you were ok by the law.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If the seat belt was clipped into place and the only difference was the part that goes over your shoulder was going under your armpit, then techincally you were wearing your seatbelt. Unless the law specifically says you have to wear it in a specific way, then you weren't breaking the law. There are lots of people that wear the seatbelts like that if it's uncomfortable to them in the normal place. That's why most cars these days have adjustable ones where you can set the top bracket higher or lower depending on your personal preference.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
they are going to sent you to prison!
you are evil and should not be let out for a very long time!

lol

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
I love that movie.

The sad thing though is that many cops are just like that. Suffice to say, I have had a very similar experience IRL.

I did not know that CA had a law against improper wearing of the seatbelt. I've never heard of that in any other state. Oh well... karma in action.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Yossarian
YOU COULD HAVE DIED!@!!!!

Glad you folks like living under the UNanny States of Oppression.

It should be his choice if he wants the possibility of dying. You still have the possibility of dying even wearing the "Restraint System". :disgust: