Rant on Pachelbel's Canon in D

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
What exactly is he getting at?

Youtube video

-------------

My head.

I gather that it's some kind of recurring musical theme? I'm listening to the sample pieces at Wikipedia's page on this, and none of it sounds familiar.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
That was funny ... being an orchestra geek from high school, all I ever got to hear were the cellist complain about this song - but being a 1st violin it rocked.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
That was funny ... being an orchestra geek from high school, all I ever got to hear were the cellist complain about this song - but being a 1st violin it rocked.

True, but being a cellist, I could also play the 1st violin part. The 1st violins couldn't play the cello part because it was too low. It was weird being pseudo-concert master as a cellist back in junior high :D

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7
What exactly is he getting at?

Youtube video

-------------

My head.

I gather that it's some kind of recurring musical theme? I'm listening to the sample pieces at Wikipedia's page on this, and none of it sounds familiar.

Ever seen Mr. Hollands Opus where Drefu's character points out how there's Beethoven in the Beatles? Same way with a lot of classical music - it's sampled a lot, and the melody is used with subtle changes making people none the wiser.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Tiamat

True, but being a cellist, I could also play the 1st violin part. The 1st violins couldn't play the cello part because it was too low. It was weird being pseudo-concert master as a cellist back in junior high :D

Man, I wanted to learn to play the cello - after a few years, our better cellists left the school .... never really got the chance, but it would have been convenient. I also think it's a much cooler instrument, they have such a rich tone.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Tiamat

Man, I wanted to learn to play the cello - after a few years, our better cellists left the school .... never really got the chance, but it would have been convenient. I also think it's a much cooler instrument, they have such a rich tone.

Compared to all 3 instruments I learned to play, that was the most difficult. I quit after my teacher wanted me to be overly competitive against other students from across the state. I enjoyed playing in ensembles and helping out the sections that didn't quite learn their parts by playing their parts for them (albeit in thumb position). The competition aspect, I could live without, and when she kept pressing the issue, I just up and quit.

FWIW, I played the piano and pipe organ, the latter of which is my favorite instrument.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Ever seen Mr. Hollands Opus where Drefu's character points out how there's Beethoven in the Beatles? Same way with a lot of classical music - it's sampled a lot, and the melody is used with subtle changes making people none the wiser.
No. And I don't listen to The Beatles. The closest to anything "Opus" I've ever experienced were Bloom County, Outland, and Opus. :eek:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7
No. And I don't listen to The Beatles. The closest to anything "Opus" I've ever experienced were Bloom County, Outland, and Opus. :eek:

You're seriously missing out... you can't base your opinion based on the songs everybody hears ;)
IIRC, "Because" from Abbey Road was written when Lennon heard Yoko playing Moonlight Sonata, and told her to play it backwards (don't quote me on that, though)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: PCMarine
that guy told/sang the same exact joke (verbatim) at my school... respect--;

Just like... um, most stand-up comedians with their routines?

sobriquet

Sep 10, 2002
As a tuba player, I know the pain. I've played it with wind ensembles, brass choirs, brass quintets, and god knows what else. I'm so sick of that damn piece.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
BTW, this is a great set of variations on the piece. One of my favorite cd's.

Not one of my favorite pieces of theirs, but Bond does do a different variation...

link

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Old news. I was pissed when this video surfaced because nobody ever believed me about that Graduation song, even after I'd play it for them on guitar.