Rant: MBNA merge to Bank of America sucks.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
The errors are annoying, but it is nice that they appear to have automatically imported my MBNA card into my BoA profile. I was expecting to go through some asstacular re-registration to add that card profile.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: acemcmac
my MBNA net-access is still working.
They're probably porting accounts over in phases. If so, you'll get a pamphlet in your statement a couple weeks before they switch your account.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: middlehead
Originally posted by: acemcmac
my MBNA net-access is still working.
They're probably porting accounts over in phases. If so, you'll get a pamphlet in your statement a couple weeks before they switch your account.

I haven't gotten a statement from them since April... just haven't used the card. This will be interesting.

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I got on the new BofA site with no problems after midnite Pacific time. Now it's down.

Figures.

techfuzz

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2001
I was able to login, but stuff in my account is still screwy this afternoon.
(I was a BoA customer before long before this merger so my account wasn't being ported)

techfuzz

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Was yesterday the last day we could use the MBNA login site?

edit: guess so. :(

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Jack Ryan
Originally posted by: dullard
Well I tried logging in today for the first time at BoA.

1) There was no 10 digit number, no safety picture, or any of the other annoyances Jnetty99 mentioned. At least not yet. I got into my account just fine.

2) But BoA has computer errors.
"Due to a system error, we are unable to retrieve all your account information. Please try again later, or contact Customer Service for assistance."
or
We are unable to complete your request
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Please use the link below to return to the Accounts Overview page, where you can try again.
So far BoA online access sucks.

Same for me.

:thumbsdown:

Same

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
I have not read this entire thread; and I'm not going to do so. I will simply post my thoughts.

This is the way that banking in America is going these days. ALL smaller banks are being bought up by BOA/Chase/Citibank.

How was I affected by this? I'll tell you. This problem didn't start today; it started 6 or so months ago.

I used to have too many credit cards. Various banks held them. Suddenly, my interest rates doubled (in the worst case, to 33%) with no explanation! :Q

When I contacted the new holders of my chit, I was told, and I quote:

XYZ Bank now holds your account, and we reserve the right to raise your rate to whatever our standards legally allow us to.

I.E. "Whatever the fck we feel like, sucka!" :|

So, I cashed in my savings (unfortunately) and closed 5 of my 7 CC's. I must say that I'm much better off now. Finances in the USA are going to shiiit, people. If you owe nothing out, count yourself amongst the lucky.

If you owe out, pay it off NOW.

ps
Before you 22-year old, EE's paid for w/Mom & Dad's money tell me how I should've planned for the future start telling me about "investment strategy"....

When you've been on your OWN for almost 20 years, pay child support and support yourself entirely, and have lived thru that, THEN you can speak. :p

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: MichaelD
I have not read this entire thread; and I'm not going to do so. I will simply post my thoughts.

This is the way that banking in America is going these days. ALL smaller banks are being bought up by BOA/Chase/Citibank.

How was I affected by this? I'll tell you. This problem didn't start today; it started 6 or so months ago.

I used to have too many credit cards. Various banks held them. Suddenly, my interest rates doubled (in the worst case, to 33%) with no explanation! :Q

When I contacted the new holders of my chit, I was told, and I quote:

XYZ Bank now holds your account, and we reserve the right to raise your rate to whatever our standards legally allow us to.

I.E. "Whatever the fck we feel like, sucka!" :|

So, I cashed in my savings (unfortunately) and closed 5 of my 7 CC's. I must say that I'm much better off now. Finances in the USA are going to shiiit, people. If you owe nothing out, count yourself amongst the lucky.

If you owe out, pay it off NOW.

ps
Before you 22-year old, EE's paid for w/Mom & Dad's money tell me how I should've planned for the future start telling me about "investment strategy"....

When you've been on your OWN for almost 20 years, pay child support and support yourself entirely, and have lived thru that, THEN you can speak. :p

That blows. Which banks were you rolled into?

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
FYI this change happen on October 23rd so if you have a MBNA credit card that?s when you no longer log in at MBNA?s website.
Uhm, welcome to Hell?
:wine:

Nick5324

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
Signed in with my MBNA info.

"Due to a system error, we are unable to retrieve all your account information. Please try again later, or contact Customer Service for assistance."

Lame. I've been thinking about getting rid of one of my cards, and this account doesn't have a balance...... I think this card just moved to the front of the line to get the axe.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Nick5324
Signed in with my MBNA info.

Lame. I've been thinking about getting rid of one of my cards, and this account doesn't have a balance...... I think this card just moved to the front of the line to get the axe.

Same thing is happening with me

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Still not working. Tried to send a message to customer service and it failed.

How wonderfu;l.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I tried today and semi-got in. I haven't charged anything or paid anything in over a week to that account. Yesterday's balance, $6, today's $-778. I guess somehow I got a big payment to my account. But it won't show up yet as to what it is.

I have a good suspicion that I've gotten a chargeback twice though. That would account for that difference. BoA just won't fully load yet to let me see the problem (I only get a half page loaded then it times out).

Is anyone going to take advantage of the free $50 (minus fees) for opening up an account with BoA?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Too lazy to read through the whole thread.

They're shutting down MBNA Net Access? :|

BofA spoils every bank it acquires, and even the bank that acquired it (NationsBank).

Speaking of BofA online, how does it "remember" your computer for SiteKey verification? (Not passphrase verification). What I mean is that for a specific computer, I've selected for BofA to remember the client for SiteKey. However, it retains this setting even after I clear all cookies. Not that it matters much, but what kind of state is it persisting?

Vasp

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Bof A web site sucks. netaccess earlier was a very efficient web site. Was not able to make a payment. Waitied till the last day to make a payment. Now i see a late fee charge of $15 for a $21 payment. Still not able to make a payment. Website shows an error.

This sucks

jadinolf

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Vasp
Bof A web site sucks. netaccess earlier was a very efficient web site. Was not able to make a payment. Waitied till the last day to make a payment. Now i see a late fee charge of $15 for a $21 payment. Still not able to make a payment. Website shows an error.

This sucks

I finally got a message to Customer Service (like they really care).

Yes, Net Access was great.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Guys.....didn't anyone notice the banner message on their homepage of their credit card for BofA last week? They had said that due to upgrades the site would be down from Oct 20th Friday, until October 25th Wednesday. I remember something like this, and it was planned.

Our accounts should show up tomorrow I believe. My MBNA credit card is now in my list with my BofA credit card so they integrated them together. We just better pray the migration went as planned and everything is fine tomorrow.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Nick5324

Leave it open, just don't use it. I don't feel like getting into all the reasons why, but generally speaking it's better for your credit scores.

ShockwaveVT

Dec 13, 2004
I love MBNA, they gave me the lowest APR on a credit card that I've ever seen. (4.9%). I just hope Bank of America doesn't f' with that rate.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Wow, looks like I was dead wrong. My BofA account as well as my MBNA account still can't display account information on the web. Looks like the IT guys over at BofA are experiencing some bugs. lol