RANT: Man, I need a vacation

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
I can't seem to focus on the project. I have built so many business process applications where I am supporting, organizing, training, analyzing, and developing the systems, that I think I am getting stretched too much. I am supporting about 1000 concurrent users on different platforms with different applications and new application requests keep coming in.

My boss wanted to give me the Senior Application position and so did some people from Admin which would have been nice but it got held back by some other managers and directors (it would also have been nice because then I would have more freedom and control with what projects get approved or not), but I at least need another person so that I can start with these other projects. ARG. I don't take many vacation days although I have accrued a lot because I am scared of falling behind on all the projects.

Now, I find that the moment I try to work on the next big project, something comes up with one of the old projects and I have to resolve that. A lot of the time, it is someone being lazy, not doing their work, and somehow they want me to handle everything, so I end up doing double the work, too. So, now, I now I am just staring at the code, and I can't seem to focus. :roll: Government... <sigh>.

I guess it doens't help that I post alot on ATOT. ;) :p

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Do what I did... ask for more money (10%) and then quit when they reject you.

You need to talk to your managers and request help or at least request that position that they held you back on. If they can't do that or if they can't help you with a raise, look for something better. That's what I'm doing. I'm tired of corporate managers taking advantage of me. F that.

danny~!

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Blazin Trav
Ask for more money or find a new job.

Government is a little different, but I think I may start "asking" for the Senior Application position, once I get this next project finished. I am getting stretched too much, and it is only really one person that doens't want me to have it, but he supercedes my boss and is holding the position by saying they need to review the requirements. It is getting frustrating.

Originally posted by: DannyLove
Do what I did... ask for more money (10%) and then quit when they reject you.

You need to talk to your managers and request help or at least request that position that they held you back on. If they can't do that or if they can't help you with a raise, look for something better. That's what I'm doing. I'm tired of corporate managers taking advantage of me. F that.

danny~!

My boss and some people from administration want me to have the position. The position was opened up just for me, but there is some bureaucracy and in-house drama going on, that I want to keep out of.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
No job is worth all that stress or frustration. It will start to seep through your life and affect your personal being. Sometimes you need to be selfish and look out for yourself, not what others may think or how your move will affect others.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
i've had 1 day off this year. will be shutting my mind down for a week in florida next month :D

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
No job is worth all that stress or frustration. It will start to seep through your life and affect your personal being. Sometimes you need to be selfish and look out for yourself, not what others may think or how your move will affect others.

I am not ruthless or cutthroat enough. Many of my friends have told me this. :(

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you have a good rep at work, there's nothing wrong with saying frankly that you cannot start a new project and do it properly, given the number of things you are already supporting. If you can show that (for example) 80% of your time is spent in support, and that a new app would take 18 months to finish given the little time available, that should not count against you.

If you point out that it's important for you to maintain the high standards that you set for your work and that taking on new apps will force you to either do a bad job on the new app or hurt the level of support you provide now, your boss should make the necessary arrangements.

It's better to do that than to keep taking on more work and have people wondering why your performance has slipped or to suffer burnout.

And one more thing - TAKE YOUR VACATION! They need to see how much you are essential to the operation.

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: DaShen

I am not ruthless or cutthroat enough. Many of my friends have told me this. :(

Dude...man....quit whining....it's called survival. No one will look out for you for you. Think about it, you're likely known as the guy to go to when work needs to be dumped on someone, and also as the person who doesn't get the promotion they "deserve" and quietly sits by assuming the world will right itself.

Wrong man. You talk (type) like an intelligent fellow sometimes, but this leads me to believe you have no clue as to how to preare your own life so it's more fullfilling and less "rut-like".

You've got NO ONE to blame but yourself in any of this.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
If you need a vacation, take one. Your health and well being is more important than any project deadline or customer request.

Besides, if you get totally fed up with your job and quit, they're probably just going to replace you with 2 guys in India who make 1/4th your salary :) Don't delude yourself into thinking that you're too important to be replaced.