RANT: I Can't Stand Ebay'ers

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
So I am shopping for a 500GB hard drive. They can be had for $100 new on NewEgg. So why do people on ebay insist on bidding USED hard drives up to $120?

This isn't an isolated incident either. It seems like people assume that since it's on Ebay it's a good deal. They don't do any research or shopping around. Ebay used to have some great deals, so it's full of retards who don't know what things cost.

Oh well.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
4/10 (old rant, been done before/better)

Some of it is uninformed buyers, some of it is getting wrapped up in the "game", and some of it is non-US buyers where a 20%+ premium is still cheaper than they can get it locally.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
So I am selling a 500GB hard drive. They can be had for $100 new on NewEgg. So why do people on ebay insist on bidding USED hard drives up to $120?

This isn't an isolated incident either. It seems like people assume that since it's on Ebay it's a good deal. They don't do any research or shopping around. Ebay used to have some great deals, so it's full of retards who don't know what things cost.

YES!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Not quite the same as your issue but made me think of a recent ebay purchase I made.

I found a book on Ebay that I wanted. It was a leather (most likely faux leather) hardback book of over 1000 pages. I figured something like this is probably going to be expensive. I looked at google and other book sites but could not find this particular book anywhere.

I didn't want to spend a lot so I bid $20 max. Current bid was $8.00 and $4.00 shipping.
After I bid I did some more searching and finally came across the book. B&N was selling it for $15 and some change. MSRP was $19.99. I prayed that no one bid higher. Luckily no one did.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TheKub

Some of it is uninformed buyers, some of it is getting wrapped up in the "game", and some of it is non-US buyers where a 20%+ premium is still cheaper than they can get it locally.

and some of it is the seller incognito upping the price of their own item and hoping someone will top it.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: TheKub

and some of it is the seller incognito upping the price of their own item and hoping someone will top it.

Damn... Knew I was forgetting one! :D

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
because a lot of ebayers are comparing these prices to retail stores like best buy/circuit city as opposed to newegg. theres also people bidding on their own items to get the price higher.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
because a lot of ebayers are comparing these prices to retail stores like best buy/circuit city as opposed to newegg. theres also people bidding on their own items to get the price higher.
really? unbelievable. :Q

:laugh:

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
What is there to complain about? Ebay is just another "retailer" - there are obviously better deals out there for some things. You'll get your steals from deal sites like FW, techbargains, etc. I find it works best to not be in a hurry when looking for a deal. Check craigslist, ebay, google, newegg to get a feel for the prices and stop whining about the prices you don't like.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: grohl
What is there to complain about? Ebay is just another "retailer" - there are obviously better deals out there for some things. You'll get your steals from deal sites like FW, techbargains, etc. I find it works best to not be in a hurry when looking for a deal. Check craigslist, ebay, google, newegg to get a feel for the prices and stop whining about the prices you don't like.

Bah. I'll whine about what I want to!

Stupid people on ebay think "OOOOh, I'm bidding on ebay buying things in teh internets!" And they don't know/use the normal online stores because they're "afraid of identify theft" but they use ebay and paypal, two of the most scammed online companies on the planet.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
I sold a Socket A XP 3200 Barton processor for $140 last week. How killer is that?

jupiter57

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2001
compbuilder00 has 2 of them for sale in our own FS/FT Forums, $75 each.
I alway check there before resorting to e-Bay.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
If you want to find the best deals o npeople selling stuff I find craigslist to be the best.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Look for auctions that end during the work day or during a holiday (like the Friday before Labor Day or another three day weekend when people take a vacation). I've had some fantastic luck bidding with that in mind for camera gear. Also, look for "hidden" merchandise when a seller bundles items together. Case in point: A camera auction that has several lenses. If one or two of the lenses is worth a lot of money but is hidden in the description, it might be overlooked and not bid as high as the same lenses displayed prominently in the subject line.

I have a $500 lens, a $350 lens, a $100 lens, a $100 flash, and a $75 photo backpack that I paid $700 altogether. ;)

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Ebay sucks anymore. The deals are not good and the risk is getting much higher. I don't even bother using Ebay for anything anymore. Been burned a few times now as well. Most things can be had at online retailers for about the same price and much less risk and hassle.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I agree that dumbasses whose bidding wars cause a $10 CD to go in excess of $20 need to die in a fire, but eBay as a whole has been great to me.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: TheGizmo
really? unbelievable. :Q

:laugh:

I personally know someone who does that. And I disapprove of it.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
I agree that dumbasses whose bidding wars cause a $10 CD to go in excess of $20 need to die in a fire, but eBay as a whole has been great to me.

Then they charge $19.95 for shipping that CD via the US Postal Service discounted media rate, adding insult to injury. And when you ask them about it, they say "my time is worth money". Yeah, it takes me about 30 seconds to walk out to my mail box and raise the flag. :evil: