RANT: I can't install ANY OS on my laptop!!!

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
It HAD 98SE. I wanted to format and start new, so I used the recovery disks, so everything is gone.

XP won't load, tells me some *.sys can't start, abort.
2K hangs on installation when it says "Setup is starting Windows 2000".

I have 98 upgrade so that's out of the question...
and Win95 says to me that I have some compressed volume?

I have fdisked, formatted to Fat32, and I still get nothing. If no one can help me, I'm going to linux.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
I'm installing win95 on there, and it says I have something invalid in my MSDOS extender? What's that?

edit: I installed a new 10GB HDD in the laptop. The compaq has a recovery CD which doesn't work, because when I loaded it, it gives me a Windows Protection Error.

For the XP disk, I can't even get into start the installation. It tells me some *.sys (I forgot which one, I'll check tonight) and then exits setup.
I meant I can't install win98 straight from the get go because I have to install Win95 first, and I can't install Win95 because of the error in my first post. :)

Jolt2

Jan 8, 2001
What recovery disk? Windows does not come with a recovery disk. If installing Win9x, use a Windows boot floppy disk to format and if that does not work use the boot disk to check your partition.

Did you boot off the XP CD disk or did you boot off XP boot floppies? If you booted off XP boot floppies, there should have been 6 disks. If you booted from XP CD disk, did you format the disk using the XP CD?

Why is Win98 upgrade out the question if you have the Win95 to prove the upgrade with?

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
I installed a new 10GB HDD in the laptop. The compaq has a recovery CD which doesn't work, because when I loaded it, it gives me a Windows Protection Error.

For the XP disk, I can't even get into start the installation. It tells me some *.sys (I forgot which one, I'll check tonight) and then exits setup.
I meant I can't install win98 straight from the get go because I have to install Win95 first, and I can't install Win95 because of the error in my first post. :)

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
Check your laptop manufacturer's website to see if there are any files or procedures for installing a new OS on your particular laptop. I remember needing a ini file from the IBM website when I installed a new OS on an old thinkpad.

JonnyBlaze

Diamond Member
May 24, 2001
what point of the xp installation do you get the error? memory problems are frequent causes of xp installation failures.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Just for grins why don't you try a linux build? Ubuntu and Kubuntu are very easy to install. Ubuntu is a Debian variant with Gnome window manager. Kubuntu is the same Debian variant with KDE window manager.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: simms

Are you sure? With my Win 98 Upgrade disk, all I had to do was pop in the Win95 for one brief minute during the Win98 installation to verify that I was upgrading. No actual installation of Win95 was required.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
I'd guess either bad memory or bad hard disk.

That's what I'm thinking too. Try Memtest86+ overnight, and see if it shows any errors.

And in the Windows setup, make sure to do a full format; that should tell you if there are any bad sectors on the hard drive, or at least map them so they won't be used.

Jolt2

Jan 8, 2001
If it is a hard drive upgrade, you may want to check with Compaq. I am not sure but I thought that Compaq had a hiden partition on their hard drives which had to be there or the computer would not run or let you load an operating system. Maybe someone else can confirm this. I thought I read it somewere.

Jolt2

Jan 8, 2001
I just found this real quick. You have not said what model laptop you have so this may or may not apply to you. The files names that you need may be different then the ones listed below. It will depend on your model you are working with I would think. This is from this web page: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/compaq/faq/hardware.htm

Compaq Hard Disk Drives

A lot of Compaq hard disk drives are usually partitioned into two or three depending on their size. One or two DOS partitions and a small (12MB) non DOS partition.

This non DOS partition contains the BIOS setup utility and settings and other tools and is accessed by pressing F10 at start up when the cursor flashes in the top right corner of the screen.

The machine needs this partition information to run and so it is a good idea to make a back-up, particularly if you plan to "fiddle" with the hard drive at all.

A backup can be made using the "Create a Diagnostics Diskette" option from this very setup screen. It is very simple, two floppies are required (one labelled setup and the other labelled diagnostics) all instructions are given on screen and the process takes about 5 minutes. These disks are used to recreate the non DOS partition as below.

These disks are also available (in compressed a form) as sp7781.exe (Diagnostics) and sp2141.exe (Setup) from Compaq's website.

Creating Non DOS Partition

* Boot from Setup disk sp2141.exe
* Message states that there is no Diagnostics Partition, recommends there should be and gives the option to create one.
* Accept this and you are prompted to reboot from the Diagnostics disk sp7781.exe.
* Follow prompts to switch between Setup and Diagnostic disks several times, this takes about 5 mins.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: simms

Are you sure? With my Win 98 Upgrade disk, all I had to do was pop in the Win95 for one brief minute during the Win98 installation to verify that I was upgrading. No actual installation of Win95 was required.

I can confirm that is the case with win98 upgrade disc.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jolt2
If it is a hard drive upgrade, you may want to check with Compaq. I am not sure but I thought that Compaq had a hiden partition on their hard drives which had to be there or the computer would not run or let you load an operating system. Maybe someone else can confirm this. I thought I read it somewere.

Yup, but after I restore it I get a Windows Protection Error.

Edit: How do you install Win98? It's not a boot up disk right, so I have to do "D:\setup.exe" correct?

Well signs point to memory. I just loaded up a stick of PC133 256MB in it, and it detected fine.. but now I can't install anything. I'll memtest it and see where it goes, thanks.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jolt2
I just found this real quick. You have not said what model laptop you have so this may or may not apply to you. The files names that you need may be different then the ones listed below. It will depend on your model you are working with I would think. This is from this web page: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/compaq/faq/hardware.htm

Compaq Hard Disk Drives

A lot of Compaq hard disk drives are usually partitioned into two or three depending on their size. One or two DOS partitions and a small (12MB) non DOS partition.

This non DOS partition contains the BIOS setup utility and settings and other tools and is accessed by pressing F10 at start up when the cursor flashes in the top right corner of the screen.

The machine needs this partition information to run and so it is a good idea to make a back-up, particularly if you plan to "fiddle" with the hard drive at all.

A backup can be made using the "Create a Diagnostics Diskette" option from this very setup screen. It is very simple, two floppies are required (one labelled setup and the other labelled diagnostics) all instructions are given on screen and the process takes about 5 minutes. These disks are used to recreate the non DOS partition as below.

These disks are also available (in compressed a form) as sp7781.exe (Diagnostics) and sp2141.exe (Setup) from Compaq's website.

Creating Non DOS Partition

* Boot from Setup disk sp2141.exe
* Message states that there is no Diagnostics Partition, recommends there should be and gives the option to create one.
* Accept this and you are prompted to reboot from the Diagnostics disk sp7781.exe.
* Follow prompts to switch between Setup and Diagnostic disks several times, this takes about 5 mins.

Thanks, but do I HAVE to have this partition in order to run Windows? I fdisked that partition away, made one big FAT32 partition and then installed (tried to install) windows on it.

From the sounds of it it sounds mandatory?