RANT: How do kids even stay alive on the crap they eat?

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
My office is basically older middle aged business people and no one is terribly outgoing. They all eat salads or an occasional lean cuisine meal. We recently hired a high schooler to do some office assitant type activities and all the kids eats is crap. If it's not some terrible for you microwave dinner, it's a couple of burgers and fries from McDonald's or Taco bell. EVERY single day he eats nothing but crap.

I don't see how kids live on that stuff. Considering both his parents work here in the office (owners son's always have job guarenteed) and they let him do it.

When I was a kid, my parents at least TRIED to get me to eat healthy. True, I grew up a fat kid, but that was from them feeding me too much. Not eating crap.... it's sort of in the same category, but that is another matter.

In any case, I guess I just never gave it a second thought about all the junk food and nasty fat filled greasey mutant foods people eat on a daily basis. It's just nasty.

I can only hope that once he grows up he'll learn to eat healthier and he won't pass this crisis onto his kids. :(

That is my rant for today. Thank you for listening.

Jugs

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
obesity is the second largest health problem in the US.

I don't eat completely healthy, but I think the key is moderation. I (at most) eat fast food twice a week. And that's only if I'm REALLY REALLY busy.

I usually try to fill up on vegetables and dip before dinner, and then I'll have a cold cut sandwich or a microwave meal. So I'm not having the best food, but I'm eating it in moderation, combined with very healthy stuff (vegetables).

If ALL you eat is fast food, then you're in trouble. But there's nothing wrong with having some Wendy's every now and then if you balance it out with smart choices at other points.

EDIT: forgot to add that I'm 18 years old, 5'9", 125 lb. My pulse is 68, and my BP is usually about 116 over 78. Basically, I'm a stick and it's hard for me to gain weight no matter what I do.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
i eat whatever i want. donuts, burgers, whatever. i dont go out of my way to exercise. i am 6'0'' and 155 pounds.

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
I've been living off ramen and ice tea for 4 years in a row and I feel [tony the tiger]GREAT![/tony the tiger]

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Thats why 1 in 3 kids now are destined to develop some form of diabetes. My kids eat junk occasionally, but I at least have them used to skim milk, whole grain breads, and make them eat some fruit and veggies.

calvinbiss

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
It was easy to eat bad in high school if you played sports. With a higher metabolism at that age, plus the amazing shape i was in from playing hs football, i could eat anything, all day. Especially at the school cafeteria, i would get double or triple tray everyday cuase i was starving, but without gaining any fat. That all changed in college, i had to change my diet to account for beer, and make myself work out 3 days a week. I never eat fast food anymore, and probably eat 10 salads during the work week.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Jugernot
My office is basically older middle aged business people and no one is terribly outgoing. They all eat salads or an occasional lean cuisine meal. We recently hired a high schooler to do some office assitant type activities and all the kids eats is crap. If it's not some terrible for you microwave dinner, it's a couple of burgers and fries from McDonald's or Taco bell. EVERY single day he eats nothing but crap.

I don't see how kids live on that stuff. Considering both his parents work here in the office (owners son's always have job guarenteed) and they let him do it.

When I was a kid, my parents at least TRIED to get me to eat healthy. True, I grew up a fat kid, but that was from them feeding me too much. Not eating crap.... it's sort of in the same category, but that is another matter.

In any case, I guess I just never gave it a second thought about all the junk food and nasty fat filled greasey mutant foods people eat on a daily basis. It's just nasty.

I can only hope that once he grows up he'll learn to eat healthier and he won't pass this crisis onto his kids. :(

Jugs

Do you have kids? If/when you do, you'll understand. You'll let them eat whatever you can get them to eat without forcing it down their throats. Period.

amish

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
You are catching up to Skoorb in rants about obesity and/or topics related to obesity.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I would generally eat fast-food somewhere around 4 or 5 times a week in high school, though my dinners were usually homemade and very good.

Changed once I got to college and entered onto the meal plan. No idea what turned me into a health freak, but I haven't had a fast-food hamburger in over three years.

purepolly

Sep 27, 2002
Just the other day I had read that 66% of American adults are overweight.

66% - that is just ridiculous!

jurzdevil

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2002
i was on my way to becoming that kid a year ago...

i havent eaten fast food, candy, ice cream, or stuff like that and ive gone from 240 to 175 in a year.im 6'3" so 175 is pretty close to where i should be

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
When I was in high school, I remember... not worrying about what I was eating... Besides, the kids you're talking about probably aren't earning enough money to care about what they should be eating instead...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Thank God for the brand-new Jason's Deli around the corner!!! MMMmmm...healthy, AND cheap!

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: pyonir
You are catching up to Skoorb in rants about obesity and/or topics related to obesity.

Why, thank you. Thank you very much. :D

Electric Amish, Nope, I don't have kids. I can't stand the little bastards.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I don't eat much food, but as long as I don't over do it on the sodas, I stay at about the same weight.

I'm 6'1", 210.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: purepolly

Be careful what you read. According to those same "studies," I am "overweight" at 6'2" and 180 lbs.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

Be careful what you read. According to those same "studies," I am "overweight" at 6'2" and 180 lbs.

Exactly. I'm considered overweight at 5'9", 175, but you can nearly snap my twig like arms in half.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: Vic

Exactly. I'm considered overweight at 5'9", 175, but you can nearly snap my twig like arms in half.

But I bet you could poke your belly nicely... :D j/k

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
You'd have a heart attack if you knew what and how much my siblings and I ate as kids... and not a single one of us was fat.

It's not what you eat as much as how active you are... and genetics.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm 25. I live off Taco Bell, Wendy's, BK, McDonald's (lunch today, BTW), and all the other fast food goodies. I'm pretty active and I am in the ideal weight range for my height.

I know it'll catch up to me and I should really be watching my cholesterol and whatnot, but I've been perfectly healthy on the outside.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Jugernot
Like those salads aren't also crap? ...and Lean Cuisine? That's even bad for a TV dinner!
Wow.
...actually, no. Too much you can fix a lot easier than bad food.
There are lots of nasty foods out there. Peanut butter even has nasty crap in it.
...or he'll get sick from it and not live that long...doubtful, though.

Jugs