RANT: Fsck! Are there any good computer/electronic B&M retailers left?!

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Tried buying some DVD+R from Office Depot. Canceled my order because they said I used a coupon twice. No idiots, I canceled my first online order myself so that I can correct my order. Whatever, not worth the trouble I say.

So then I go Staples. OOS. But says you can order in store and get free shipping. Ask manager, he says $50 minimum free shipping online. I'm like, uh but the tag here says free shipping. (They're supposed to enter a code that gives it for any order.) He says, "Oh that expired last year during the holidays", and flips over the paper. Date - 1/18/04.
rolleye.gif

Off to Circuit City. Ask to pricematch some DVD+R's that are cheapr at CompUSA. Dude calls the manager, who promptly says its out of stock there. I tell him not its not because I just came from there. (The two stores are in the same exact mall.) He tells the worker to check online, says its OOS. I again say, no it's not, just call. He refuses. WTF?! I say "Forget it" and as I'm leaving he says "Have a nice day" jeeringly.

I don't get it. I'm not trying ot get on super hot deal. Or some type of price mistake. I just want to buy some stuff. WTF are these stores problems? I don't mind incompetent workers... but incompetent MANAGERS. Geez.

Of course I can't leave with out saying Best Buy sucks. ;)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I've worked at Best Buy, and let me tell you, as incompetent and unorganized you imagine the company is, the reality is far worse. :p

I dunno. I'm not sure people have the right to complain. Everyone insists that prices go only one way - down - and at the same time expect quality staffing. Getting and keeping good front-line managers for the $14-$18 an hour they get paid is exceedingly difficult, and the people working below them aren't gonna be guys and girls with much more than a high school education themselves. If people actually believed in paying a premium for customer service things would be different.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
I've worked at Best Buy, and let me tell you, as incompetent and unorganized you imagine the company is, the reality is far worse. :p.

I worked at Best Buy also. ;) Though I quit after 6 months... :p

Managers and workers shoudl still be able to do their jobs competently. I mean geez, the fsckin manager just had to make a phone call but he wanted to be a prick about it.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
actually if you live by any of the headquarters to various online companies, then you have a top notch b&m store right by :) for example, if you live in california, you have googlegear (zipzoomfly), newegg, gogamer, and a ton of other stores. Assuming you're from Irvine, there's a ton of online retailers that also cater to local pickup (fairview exit along the i-5).

mikebb

May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
I've worked at Best Buy, and let me tell you, as incompetent and unorganized you imagine the company is, the reality is far worse. :p

I dunno. I'm not sure people have the right to complain. Everyone insists that prices go only one way - down - and at the same time expect quality staffing. Getting and keeping good front-line managers for the $14-$18 an hour they get paid is exceedingly difficult, and the people working below them aren't gonna be guys and girls with much more than a high school education themselves. If people actually believed in paying a premium for customer service things would be different.

Well said. Everyone these days wants rock-bottom prices, price-matching, triple-coupons, for companies to honor pricing mistakes, and so on....then they wonder why customer service sucks.

Not to say this is you situation here Gr1ml0ck, but you pay the price for everyone else's good deals...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Kevin
Buy the god damn DVDs from CompUSA then...

Thats what we tell our customers when they come in telling us that bestbuy down the street has something for $300 less. Not referring to this case, but the markup on many items is so small that most items we pricematch we sell below cost.

We would rather lose your business this time and not take the hit, with the hope of you coming back anyway.

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: Kevin
Buy the god damn DVDs from CompUSA then...

Thats what we tell our customers when they come in telling us that bestbuy down the street has something for $300 less. Not referring to this case, but the markup on many items is so small that most items we pricematch we sell below cost.

We would rather lose your business this time and not take the hit, with the hope of you coming back anyway.

I worked at Best Buy for a few months before quitting. Its not as bad as some people make it out to be, I think the major problem is the customers. I remember Circuit City had a printer on sale with a $25 giftcard and free photopaper. These people come in wanting the printer and they want us to match it to Circuit City. I checked the ad and it said minimum quatities available or something like that which most (if not all) store will not match. So I kindly explained to them we couldn't. They then become very irrate and luckily walked away. I still think they went to Circuit City first, found out it was sold out then decided to try and scam Best Buy. The senior even offered to give them the free photopaper...

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Gr1mL0cK
Tried buying some DVD+R from Office Depot. Canceled my order because they said I used a coupon twice. No idiots, I canceled my first online order myself so that I can correct my order. Whatever, not worth the trouble I say.

So then I go Staples. OOS. But says you can order in store and get free shipping. Ask manager, he says $50 minimum free shipping online. I'm like, uh but the tag here says free shipping. (They're supposed to enter a code that gives it for any order.) He says, "Oh that expired last year during the holidays", and flips over the paper. Date - 1/18/04.
rolleye.gif

Off to Circuit City. Ask to pricematch some DVD+R's that are cheapr at CompUSA. Dude calls the manager, who promptly says its out of stock there. I tell him not its not because I just came from there. (The two stores are in the same exact mall.) He tells the worker to check online, says its OOS. I again say, no it's not, just call. He refuses. WTF?! I say "Forget it" and as I'm leaving he says "Have a nice day" jeeringly.

I don't get it. I'm not trying ot get on super hot deal. Or some type of price mistake. I just want to buy some stuff. WTF are these stores problems? I don't mind incompetent workers... but incompetent MANAGERS. Geez.

Of course I can't leave with out saying Best Buy sucks. ;)

That's a HELL of a lot of work to go through for some freakin' DVD+R's. My time is way too valuable to deal with that.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ed21x
actually if you live by any of the headquarters to various online companies, then you have a top notch b&m store right by :) for example, if you live in california, you have googlegear (zipzoomfly), newegg, gogamer, and a ton of other stores. Assuming you're from Irvine, there's a ton of online retailers that also cater to local pickup (fairview exit along the i-5).

Newegg does not allow Will Call orders... no matter how much you beg. So MWave is your next best option in the LA area.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Avoid this mess and just buy Ritek G04 -R discs from any number of online retailers. :p

I'd rather pay a little more for shipping than jump through hoops at half these stupid stores to save a buck or two.