• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

rant: almost got into an accident with a SUV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
21,604
456
126
Originally posted by: Thraxen
If you aren't following too closely, it doens't matter if she brakes suddenly.
Not true. Maybe you are paying attention, but that doesn't mean the person behind you is. He said this was bumper to bumper traffic. Leaving a large gap only results in the gap getting filled by someone changing lanes in front of you. That rule definitely doesn't work at all times.
I agree. When I first started driving I liked to leave a large distance between my car and the one in front of me, my thinking being that I would have more time to stop and react. In practice, it results in a lot of people cutting in front of me, and bad lane changes...I actually almost got into more accidents that way than when using the tighter distance I stay at now. I just watch the car in front of me very closely and react to brake lights and things happening down the road.

Which brings me to one very real gripe I have with SUVs, and large trucks for that matter...I can't see over them. And if they have tinted windows I can't see through them either. I often try to look ahead of the car in front of me...that way if there's any situation that might require stopping or slowing I'm alerted to it ahead of time. I don't get this luxury with an SUV in front of me, and its the main reason I don't ever wave an SUV in when I'm driving...even one car in front of me, as apposed to a SUV affords me a lot more visual distance/reaction time.
 

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
21,604
456
126
Originally posted by: AsianriceX
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Jzero
In many cases, honking your horn just infuriates people. They take it as a personal affront to their honor. I have no idea why.
:D
It's a shame that my Altima's horn sounds so incredibly wimpy. I'm almost embarrased to honk at anyone that does something stupid.

I wish I had a different device that would make a boxing glove attached to a spring fly out and hit the offending driver in his face. Now THAT would be awesome.

:beer::D
Heh. I have the same complaint with my car. When some one cuts me off and I honk, I want it to be deep and loud and be like "FVCK! YOU!" but it comes out more like a roadrunner 'meep!' :(

I wanted a springloaded trunk that would pop open on a button push and toss two eggs onto a driver's windshield to stop them from tailgating. :D
 

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
70,150
2
0
I agree. When I first started driving I liked to leave a large distance between my car and the one in front of me, my thinking being that I would have more time to stop and react. In practice, it results in a lot of people cutting in front of me, and bad lane changes...I actually almost got into more accidents that way than when using the tighter distance I stay at now. I just watch the car in front of me very closely and react to brake lights and things happening down the road.
That's why you speed up if you think somebody is about to pull that trick, then slow down again. Or, you can let them pull it, and then just back off a bit. I keep a good following distance for me, and also so that joe-slow behind me has ample warning when I have to brake hard because I have enough following distance for him to wake up.
 

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
21,604
456
126
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I agree. When I first started driving I liked to leave a large distance between my car and the one in front of me, my thinking being that I would have more time to stop and react. In practice, it results in a lot of people cutting in front of me, and bad lane changes...I actually almost got into more accidents that way than when using the tighter distance I stay at now. I just watch the car in front of me very closely and react to brake lights and things happening down the road.
That's why you speed up if you think somebody is about to pull that trick, then slow down again. Or, you can let them pull it, and then just back off a bit. I keep a good following distance for me, and also so that joe-slow behind me has ample warning when I have to brake hard because I have enough following distance for him to wake up.
Make no mistake, I don't drive right on the guy in front of me's ass...I hate when people do that to me. I usually leave at least a car length if I can get away with it in double laned traffic...more if its just single lane because you only have to be close enough to make it look like a bad idea to pull out in front. (Well, usually thats all you need to do. :roll;)

On the interstate going 70+...I don't really trust my brakes enough to drive 'bumper to bumper' like that...I have a feeling the bumper to bumper thing is somewhat exaggerated.
 

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
1,318
0
0
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: AsianriceX
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Jzero
In many cases, honking your horn just infuriates people. They take it as a personal affront to their honor. I have no idea why.
:D
It's a shame that my Altima's horn sounds so incredibly wimpy. I'm almost embarrased to honk at anyone that does something stupid.

I wish I had a different device that would make a boxing glove attached to a spring fly out and hit the offending driver in his face. Now THAT would be awesome.

:beer::D
That problem was solved in my sentra with a "highway blaster" horn which I bought from autozone. I now have two horns and the sentra has a surprisingly loud bark for such a little car :)
Haha, I read about doing something like that on the altima forums. I just need to fashion a bracket, and buy 2 new horns from pep boys. I should go look that up again...
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
How were you going 80mph with bumper to bumper traffic?
GT racing style. u know how we Jerzee Peeps do it. bling bling style
hah. what i meant was there is like maybe a car to 2.5 car lengths between each car...definately not the advised 8 car lenghts when travelling at 80mph. ie...its really packed
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
What I want to know is, when did it become fashionable to call a bumper a "bumber"? I've been seeing people spell it this way a few times lately, and it tells me that people don't have trouble spelling, but trouble with pronunciation.
huh? did I say bumber? if so then my bad. i mispelled
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: Cepak
Like I said, Stupid driver. You'd use excuse after excuse to justify your driving. Like you really care about the ripple effect, I don't think so. I drive in this same kind of traffic every day. I'll admit, I do catch myself driving with the flow at times. And yes I did read and comprehend your complete story. Do you remember the story you told pot head?

anyways so all 3 lanes are blocked..im in the leftmost lane.
Just because everyone else is doing it, i.e. driving 75 mph, doesn't make it anymore safe or anymore right to do. What you'll also find out when you grow up is that you can't change others, you can only change yourself.
even though ive never been there, from word of mouth im pretty sure that the traffic in texas is nothing like the traffic in NJ. but maybe it is. even so...if the flow of traffic is 75mph, u GO at 75mph. its stupid to "follow the law" at that particular instance and go at 65mph (posted speed limit). the reason i say this is because in the mornign everyone is trying to get to work and they dont really appreciate one car holding up traffic by going the speed limit. even the right lane on 287 goes at 70 mph or so. going at 65mph would cause more road rage by other drivers than solve anything

yes i do care about the ripple effect cuz ive been a victim of it many times and i try my best to avoid causing it...i dont brake fast unless i need to and i try to keep a smooth even speed throughtout my commute if possible.

you are probably one of those people who go exactly the speed limit on a straight single lane road with noone in front of u and a line of cars tailing you, arent you?
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: AsianriceX
Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: Jzero
In many cases, honking your horn just infuriates people. They take it as a personal affront to their honor. I have no idea why.
:D
It's a shame that my Altima's horn sounds so incredibly wimpy. I'm almost embarrased to honk at anyone that does something stupid.

I wish I had a different device that would make a boxing glove attached to a spring fly out and hit the offending driver in his face. Now THAT would be awesome.

:beer::D
LMAOROFL!!!!!
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: Thraxen
If you aren't following too closely, it doens't matter if she brakes suddenly.
Not true. Maybe you are paying attention, but that doesn't mean the person behind you is. He said this was bumper to bumper traffic. Leaving a large gap only results in the gap getting filled by someone changing lanes in front of you. That rule definitely doesn't work at all times.
I agree. When I first started driving I liked to leave a large distance between my car and the one in front of me, my thinking being that I would have more time to stop and react. In practice, it results in a lot of people cutting in front of me, and bad lane changes...I actually almost got into more accidents that way than when using the tighter distance I stay at now. I just watch the car in front of me very closely and react to brake lights and things happening down the road.

Which brings me to one very real gripe I have with SUVs, and large trucks for that matter...I can't see over them. And if they have tinted windows I can't see through them either. I often try to look ahead of the car in front of me...that way if there's any situation that might require stopping or slowing I'm alerted to it ahead of time. I don't get this luxury with an SUV in front of me, and its the main reason I don't ever wave an SUV in when I'm driving...even one car in front of me, as apposed to a SUV affords me a lot more visual distance/reaction time.
i think you summed up all my points :beer:
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,728
916
126
I think women are giving SUVs bad names... not the SUVs themselves. ;) Everytime I see an anti-SUV thread on ATOT, it's always "this woman in an SUV..." (or some form of expletive for women) :|
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: flot
So what you're saying is, you can't afford an SUV?
no i could easily have bought a smaller SUV (ford escape or something) for the same price i bought my car. but Id never buy an SUV...EVAR. i like smaller cars for the agility and the good mileage. also SUV's roofs arent reinforced like most cars. so if an SUV rolls over (happens quite often) it'd become a death trap
 

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
52,728
916
126
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Which brings me to one very real gripe I have with SUVs, and large trucks for that matter...I can't see over them. And if they have tinted windows I can't see through them either. I often try to look ahead of the car in front of me...that way if there's any situation that might require stopping or slowing I'm alerted to it ahead of time. I don't get this luxury with an SUV in front of me, and its the main reason I don't ever wave an SUV in when I'm driving...even one car in front of me, as apposed to a SUV affords me a lot more visual distance/reaction time.
This is a legitimate gripe against all tall vehicles. I experience it in our Accord. When I'm driving my SUV and see someone close behind me (like traffic situations), I stay to the center-right of the lane so the car behind me can see around also... cause I know I don't want them plowing into me either. I wish people were more aware of things happening around them.
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: rh71
I think women are giving SUVs bad names... not the SUVs themselves. ;) Everytime I see an anti-SUV thread on ATOT, it's always "this woman in an SUV..." (or some form of expletive for women) :|
thats why i vote for the special liscense (with harder, more involved written and road tests) for operating a SUV or a truck...to prevent the bad drivers (read: women ;)) from getting behind the wheel of such a car

that way only the people who are qualified to drive one, will
 

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
21,235
78
91
Originally posted by: rh71

This is a legitimate gripe against all tall vehicles. I experience it in our Accord. When I'm driving my SUV and see someone close behind me (like traffic situations), I stay to the center-right of the lane so the car behind me can see around also... cause I know I don't want them plowing into me either. I wish people were more aware of things happening around them.
ding ding ding. here is your liscense to drive an SUV sir. enjoy ;):p
 

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
6,108
1
0
moral of the story: get out of the blind spot of stupid erratic drivers. Or... get out of the blind spot of any driver.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY